HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

The State of Crap Science in the Trump Era

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: The State of Crap Science in the Trump Era   Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:43 pm

How do you propose to prove there are no fairies in your garden, or that you don't have four arms, four legs and two heads?

You are DEDUCING that these things are not true because they seem unlikely to you. It seems self-evident to you that these are nonsense, because they are outside the realm of your experience.

Quod erat demonstrandum.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
_Howard
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The State of Crap Science in the Trump Era   Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:49 pm

I asked if you can prove the negative that I do not have four arms, four legs, and two heads?
I can prove it easily, even though it's a negative.

I have no garden. Ergo, I have no fairies in my garden.
And this kind of question is nothing but nonsense.

I am deducing nothing, I KNOW these things to be factual.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: The State of Crap Science in the Trump Era   Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:09 pm

Fine.  By that logic, I KNOW it to be factual that there is no life elsewhere in the universe, so it's ridiculous to keep bringing that up as a reason for space exploration.

No one can prove otherwise.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
richard09

PostSubject: Re: The State of Crap Science in the Trump Era   Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:55 am

We can't prove that there's life elsewhere in the universe because we can't go and find it. But you can prove that there's no life anywhere else in the universe because... we can't go and find it.
Your "logic" is insane.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: The State of Crap Science in the Trump Era   Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:32 pm

Let me be more clear.

It's not that I can prove or disprove life off-Earth. It's that IT DOESN'T MATTER one way or the other. There is absolutely zero benefit, and absolutely zero danger. If there is, or if there isn't, not only cannot be proven but the answer is of no consequence.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
_Howard
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The State of Crap Science in the Trump Era   Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:05 pm

Which brings us back to  my original question: Why are you so vehement in your insistence that extraterrestrial life does not exist?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: The State of Crap Science in the Trump Era   Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:13 pm

I'm vehement that couching every space mission, every telescope survey, every NASA funding request (and scuttling the Cassini mission) in terms of "the search for life in the universe" is wrong-headed, stupid, misleading, counter-productive and anti-scientific.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
_Howard
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The State of Crap Science in the Trump Era   Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:22 pm

None of which has anything to do with the question of off-Earth life.
If you want to be angry with government spending, there are many better places to put your anger.
This article gives a good overview of NASA's budget. It might calm you down a little.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
_Howard
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The State of Crap Science in the Trump Era   Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:04 pm

Of course, if they took a little of that NASA money and used it for providing decent internet service out here, I wouldn't complain.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: The State of Crap Science in the Trump Era   Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:19 pm

More utter crap masquerading as "science."
Quote :
Dr. Seth Shostak of the SETI Institute told Kaku that he believes we will make contact before 2025, though he upped that number by 10 years in a recent article for science magazine The Nautilus.

“I’ve bet a cup of coffee to any and all that by 2035 we’ll have evidence of ET,” Shostak wrote. “I’m optimistic by nature — as a scientist, you have to be . . . I feel that we’re on the cusp of learning something truly revolutionary.”
Source

Note that this Shostak garden tool says "make contact."  Not "have evidence of."  But even THAT would have been ludicrous.

Christ! This moron has a PhD. in astrophysics from C.I.T. Are they selling those on cereal boxes now???
Back to top Go down
View user profile
_Howard
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The State of Crap Science in the Trump Era   Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:06 am

NoCoPilot wrote:
Note that this Shostak garden tool says "make contact."  Not "have evidence of."

Actually, he said both.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
_Howard
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The State of Crap Science in the Trump Era   Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:09 pm

NoCoPilot wrote:
As if moons of Saturn harbor life... and that life would be affected (negatively) by earth microbes.

They are still looking.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: The State of Crap Science in the Trump Era   Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:13 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The State of Crap Science in the Trump Era   

Back to top Go down

The State of Crap Science in the Trump Era
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2