HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The Shape of Water

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
richard09

richard09

The Shape of Water Empty
PostSubject: The Shape of Water   The Shape of Water EmptyFri Sep 01, 2017 7:53 am

Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

The Shape of Water Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Shape of Water   The Shape of Water EmptyFri Sep 01, 2017 8:54 am

Yeah, looks promising. I'll have to revisit "Pan's Labyrinth."
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

The Shape of Water Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Shape of Water   The Shape of Water EmptyFri Sep 01, 2017 8:41 pm

Huh, I've not seen "Pan's Labyrinth" before. I was mixing it up with a Jim Hensen or Frank Oz movie called "Labyrinth" I think.

$3.99 for the two-disc set.
Back to top Go down
richard09

richard09

The Shape of Water Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Shape of Water   The Shape of Water EmptyFri Sep 01, 2017 8:50 pm

I haven't seen it either, but on the old Debate Unlimited site, one or two people were deeply impressed. I thought you were one of them, but I guess not.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

The Shape of Water Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Shape of Water   The Shape of Water EmptyFri Sep 01, 2017 9:49 pm

Just finished. It was masterfully done.... but a bit too "magical" for my tastes.

And dark. Very very dark.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

The Shape of Water Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Shape of Water   The Shape of Water EmptyFri Sep 01, 2017 9:51 pm

The funny thing is, Jim Henson's "Labyrinth" is also about a little girl who discovers a faun and descends into a labyrinth to rescue the world or something. No wonder I confused them.
Back to top Go down
Jenni
Admin
Jenni

The Shape of Water Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Shape of Water   The Shape of Water EmptySat Sep 16, 2017 2:41 pm

richard09 wrote:
I haven't seen it either, but on the old Debate Unlimited site, one or two people were deeply impressed. I thought you were one of them, but I guess not.
I know Todd and I both liked it.
Back to top Go down
https://unintelligibledebate.forumotion.com
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

The Shape of Water Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Shape of Water   The Shape of Water EmptyTue Dec 12, 2017 12:44 pm

Saw previews for “The Shape of Water” Saturday before “Lady Bird.” I have to say, the previews didn’t make it look like anything I’d want to see. A girl discovers a merman-like creature, and tries to protect it from scientists. It looked like nothing more than a dumb Disney live action.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

The Shape of Water Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Shape of Water   The Shape of Water EmptyMon Jan 08, 2018 4:07 am

Slipped out to see this yesterday. As one would expect from Guillermo Del Toro, it was masterfully done. Fabulous cinematography, fabulous lighting, fabulous creature design.

But the story, the concept... There was nothing there. It was incredibly thin in plot. And meaning.

Evil scientists find & capture a merman. They torture it (why? never explained). A washer woman who cleans his underground tank falls in love with it, and helps it escape.

Done.

Was it a parable? A fantasy? A fairy tale? It was played absolutely straight, with no elements of "Pan's Labyrinth". There was one scene where the girl and the monster suddenly dance & sing in a Busby Berkeley musical number, but it was randomly thrown in and had no repercussions anywhere in the story. WTF was that? The opening credits showed the girl's apartment as underwater, with all of her furniture (even the steel chairs) floating above the floor. And she herself was sleeping a couple feet above her couch, underwater. WTF was that? None of this tied into the story in any way, didn't presage anything.

I came away pretty disappointed,
Back to top Go down
richard09

richard09

The Shape of Water Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Shape of Water   The Shape of Water EmptyWed Oct 24, 2018 4:00 pm

I finally watched this, on cable. Have to agree that it all seemed pretty lightweight and pointless. Very well done, but didn't seem to illuminate - anything, really.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The Shape of Water Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Shape of Water   The Shape of Water Empty

Back to top Go down

The Shape of Water
Page 1 of 1