Skyfair

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

Skyfair                  Empty
PostSubject: Skyfair    Skyfair                  EmptySat Jul 22, 2017 4:49 pm

Our new house is pretty near Paine Field, a private airport used by Boeing's Everett plant and a bunch of smaller tenants, one of which is Paul Allen's Flying Heritage & Combat Armor Museum. Some billionaires collect rare wine, some work to eradicate malaria, some collect old warplanes. Pretty strange for a Conscientious Objector, but who am I to judge.

Today was an event at the museum called the 4th Annual Air & Ground FHCAM Skyfair. What it meant for us, here in Paine Field's flight path, is a slew of old warbirds flying overhead, making one hell of a racket for about four hours. I'm not an aficionado and couldn't identify any of them, but the website says "Storch, B-25, Hellcat, Corsair, Mosquito, Bearcat, L4, OH-6, UH-1, MiG (Static), Super Corsair (Static)", i.e. lots of WWII-era two- and four-propeller fighter planes, many flying in pairs or threes. Some were flying in close formation, seemingly within inches of each other.

Alternately awe inspiring, and somewhat annoying. They were VERY LOUD.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Skyfair    Skyfair                  EmptySat Sep 02, 2017 4:09 pm

Again today. Two groups of three single-engine WWII fighters flying in formation around and around our location, coming overhead every few minutes.

The things you see when you don't have your gun.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Skyfair    Skyfair                  EmptySun Sep 03, 2017 9:31 am

NoCoPilot wrote:
They were VERY LOUD.
Couple days ago, maybe Wednesday, I saw a modern fighter jet flying by, probably on maneuvers from Whidbey Island. Even at the slow speed it was flying, it was SO FUCKING LOUD the cat and both dogs sprinted inside the house and cowered.
Skyfair                  Corp_growler_protect_400x225
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: Skyfair    Skyfair                  EmptySun Sep 03, 2017 11:26 am

Wait until one or two of them pull straight up over you and kick in the afterburners. Even fifty years ago, they made enough noise to startle earthworms.

In 1960, we lived across the street from the airport in Tuscon; the planes took off directly over our house. At the time it was, I think, the longest municipal runway in the country. Passenger jets were new and all the airlines - foreign and domestic - were training at that airport. But the real noise came in when the Arizona Air National Guard was training. They would take off and pull up straight over our house - at a low altitude - and kick in the afterburners to climb steeply. Incredible noise. The fun part was public service announcements that ran on the local station: "Sleep well tonight. Your Air National Guard is awake." No shit; that's what it said. Can't forget that.

Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Skyfair    Skyfair                  EmptySun Sep 03, 2017 11:44 am

I can only imagine the terror it strikes in the hearts of tent dwellers in the desert where the pilots are not restrained from going supersonic.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Skyfair    Skyfair                  Empty

Back to top Go down

Skyfair
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Topics :: Science & Tech-
Jump to: