HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

The Wonk Gap

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
richard09

PostSubject: The Wonk Gap   Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:55 pm

This Krugman op-ed is fairly amusing. What's even funnier is so many of the comments: repeating the exact bullshit that Krugman pointed out just above. There's none so blind...

The Wonk Gap
Back to top Go down
View user profile
_Howard
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Wonk Gap   Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:47 pm

I muse have missed the part of Krugman's article that you say was bullshit.
Can you point it out for me, please?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: The Wonk Gap   Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:46 pm

Yeah he points out a valid point.  Many on the right get their news and opinions from the right-wing media (FNC/Limbaugh/Savage/Hannity/Huckabee/etc.) and those sources have developed a strong history of being dead wrong.  Look at their election predictions, look at their public polling, look at their analyses of past elections.

Krugman is right.  They literally have no clue.

And that's not just hyperbole, look at the disconnect between their predictions and what really happens.  It's not just opinion -- even though one of the current memes in conservative politics is that their analysis makes the reality.  Or as Stephen Colbert so memorably put it, "Reality has a well-known liberal bias."
Quote :
Modern conservatism has become a sort of cult, very much given to conspiracy theorizing when confronted with inconvenient facts.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
richard09

PostSubject: Re: The Wonk Gap   Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:49 pm

Perhaps I wasn't clear. What I meant was: Krugman pointed out some of the Republican bullshit. The comment trolls immediately started to repeat some of the exact same crap that Krugman had pointed out was crap just a couple of paragraphs above.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: The Wonk Gap   Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:01 pm

The reason for the "Fox Gap" is that these people don't trust the "liberal elite media" (i.e. anyone but themselves) so they have developed their own 'think tanks' (irony quotes), they poll their own viewers exclusively, they interview each other and they intentionally ignore anything that doesn't support their story.  As a result you have some of the worst misinformation in the history of disinformation being spewed over public airwaves 24/7.

That's why I advocate the reinstatement of the 1949 Fairness Doctrine.  It at least kept facts and rumors separated.

P.S. - Why would you bother with readers comments?  In my experience there is no greater repository of misinformation and ill-informed proselytizing than people who write into columnists and broadcasters.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
_Howard
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Wonk Gap   Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:14 pm

richard09 wrote:
Perhaps I wasn't clear. What I meant was: Krugman pointed out some of the Republican bullshit. The comment trolls immediately started to repeat some of the exact same crap that Krugman had pointed out was crap just a couple of paragraphs above.
Mea culpa. Sometimes the English language is somewhat ambiguous (or I can blame my misinterpretation on the vicodin, I guess). I'm glad you cleared that up for me; I was having a hard time believing that you would be defending the professional bullshitters.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: The Wonk Gap   Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:24 pm

_Howard wrote:
Sometimes the English language is somewhat ambiguous
That's where the truth lies.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
_Howard
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Wonk Gap   Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:27 pm

And sometimes that ambiguity is purposefully applied to mislead.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: The Wonk Gap   Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:38 pm

Professor: "The use of a double negative to indicate a positive is well established. However there is no comparable usage of a double positive to indicate a negative."

Student: "Yeah, right."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
_Howard
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Wonk Gap   Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:43 pm

Laughing 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Wonk Gap   

Back to top Go down