PostSubject: Doctor Strange   Doctor Strange EmptyWed Mar 08, 2017 3:25 pm

Don't bother.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

Doctor Strange Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doctor Strange   Doctor Strange EmptyWed Mar 08, 2017 5:56 pm

Hadn't planned to.

The current spate of superhero/comic book movies is way above my head. Never read comics as a kid; won't start now.
Back to top Go down
richard09

richard09

Doctor Strange Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doctor Strange   Doctor Strange EmptyWed Mar 08, 2017 7:39 pm

I did go and see it, and was somewhat disappointed. I read Doc Strange comics when he first started in the sixties, and kind of enjoyed them, but felt that they could have tried for more. Felt the same way about the movie.
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

Doctor Strange Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doctor Strange   Doctor Strange EmptyThu Mar 09, 2017 2:25 pm

The DVD was given to me; it's not something I would buy.
I had never heard of Doctor Strange and didn't know that it was a comic book until the credits at the end of the flick.

Unlike some apparently very special people, I did read comic books as a child, but had given them up by the time I was a teenager. I don't care at all for movies made from comic books, except the first Batman movies. If they would reprise The Crypt Keeper, etc, I might enjoy them.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

Doctor Strange Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doctor Strange   Doctor Strange EmptyThu Mar 09, 2017 3:55 pm

_Howard wrote:
Unlike some apparently very special people, I did read comic books as a child, but had given them up by the time I was a teenager.
In my defense, it wasn't my choice.

My mother insisted I read only "real books" (the kind without pictures) from the moment I learned to read.  By the time I was a teenager I'd read Robinson Crusoe and Animal Farm and The Count of Monte Cristo and The Time Machine and Voyage to the Center of the Earth.  Unbeknownst to her I was also reading Henry Miller and Anais Nin.

I never missed "graphic novels" and to this day have difficulty understanding the appeal.  

I'm not a fan of professional wrestling either -- which I put on the same level.
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

Doctor Strange Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doctor Strange   Doctor Strange EmptyThu Mar 09, 2017 4:22 pm

As a kid, I was an insatiable reader. I read all of the books you mentioned, and probably many of the other books you read.  But it never got in the way of Batman or Tales from the Crypt. There is plenty of time for both in a kid's life.

Comparing kids reading comic books and supposed adults watching wrestling is not valid. Kids are supposed to engage in activities that are nothing but fun; they should not be deprived of fun. God knows they will spend too much time without fun when they are older.
Back to top Go down
kilo

kilo

Doctor Strange Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doctor Strange   Doctor Strange EmptyFri Mar 10, 2017 9:35 am

Quote :
My mother insisted I read only "real books" (the kind without pictures) from the moment I learned to read.
Similar setup — never got into comic books at all. (Well, there was MAD magazine.) I recently dug out my old copy of "The Complete Sherlock Holmes" which I'd had as a kid. I was looking at the table of contents and saw how I'd checked off all the stories I had read — I'd go through and select the ones with the fewest pages.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Doctor Strange Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doctor Strange   Doctor Strange Empty

Back to top Go down

Doctor Strange
Page 1 of 1