HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Tokyo Trial and The Eighties

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

Tokyo Trial and The Eighties Empty
PostSubject: Tokyo Trial and The Eighties   Tokyo Trial and The Eighties EmptyWed Jan 04, 2017 10:59 am

Two Netflix series I started last night.

"Tokyo Trial" is about the Japanese equivalent of the Nuremberg trials, where Japanese politicians and military leaders were being tried in 1946 for war crimes. In the opening argument the defense counsel brings up Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Could be interesting, but it was a bit heavy and ponderous for my mood -- legal maneuvering, personality clashes, victor's justice, etc.

I flipped around looking for something else and found "The Eighties," supposedly an exploration of how we became a society obsessed with greed and avarice during the Reagan years. The first two episodes focused on changes in TV, and while true that many changes occurred, the documentary wasn't able to establish any direction for the changes, or tie them to anything else. The series is by CNN, which has lost all credibility with me in the past few years and this series didn't do anything yet to recover it. Lots of old TV clips, randomly assembled. Yeah, I remember Morton Downey Jr. Yeah, I remember "The Wonder Years." So what?
Back to top Go down
kilo

kilo

PostSubject: Re: Tokyo Trial and The Eighties   Tokyo Trial and The Eighties EmptyWed Jan 04, 2017 11:16 am

"Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous" comes to mind. And the emergence of Donald Trump.
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: Tokyo Trial and The Eighties   Tokyo Trial and The Eighties EmptyWed Jan 04, 2017 1:20 pm

And horrid music and hair styles.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tokyo Trial and The Eighties   Tokyo Trial and The Eighties Empty

Back to top Go down

Tokyo Trial and The Eighties
Page 1 of 1