HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Landslide!!!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Landslide!!!   Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:36 am

For the 1%?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kilo

PostSubject: Re: Landslide!!!   Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:54 pm

Both LBJ and FDR were presidents in a totally different political climate; hell, LBJ would have faced widespread and severe criticism, if not articles of impeachment, if he tried his strong-arm tactics today. Take Guantanamo, for instance — fucking politicians (D's and R's) were too afraid to imprison terrorists on US soil. Can't blame that on Obama.

NoCo wrote:
I refuse to accept the blame for Obama's failed administration.

What, are you admitting that you didn't vote in the mid-term elections?

NoCo wrote:

"Look for yourself:"

I think your understanding of political campaign rhetoric is a bit unsophisticated. The president doesn't have the power to simply enact any good idea he happens to campaign on. Looking at his record in relation to the promises he made is interesting, even useful, but accusing him of breaking a promise without providing the political context is a pretty weak indictment.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
_Howard
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Landslide!!!   Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:24 pm

Perhaps NoCoPilot would enlighten us (without simply linking to an article) as to what the negatives were that leads him to refer to "Obama's failed administration".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
richard09

PostSubject: Re: Landslide!!!   Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:42 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile
richard09

PostSubject: Re: Landslide!!!   Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:57 pm

Why Obamacare enrollees voted for Trump

Spoiler alert: because they're dumbasses.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
_Howard
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Landslide!!!   Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:08 pm

This is the most telling sentence in the article:
Quote :
And part of their anger was wrapped up in the idea that other people were getting even better, even cheaper benefits — and those other people did not deserve the help.

This is the primary reason why so many uneducated people vote for Republicans: They don't want anyone else to get anything. Bunch of selfish, self-centered yahoos. These days, I find myself often wishing that the situation had been different in 1967; I never would have seen this country again if things had gone right.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Landslide!!!   Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:49 am

The Fair Vote movement assumes the problems with our current voting system are structural rather than somebody tampering with the way the system works. I'm sure there ARE structural problems -- the binary either-or choices are usually too simplistic -- but I'm not convinced the second thing isn't of bigger concern at this point.

As to Obama's broken promises, I'm working on it. It's a big list and I have other things going on in my life.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kilo

PostSubject: Re: Landslide!!!   Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:24 am

NoCo wrote:
...somebody tampering with the way the system works

You don't like the result so somebody "tampered" with the voting machines, despite no physical evidence that this has happened?  Why is it so hard to believe that American voters willingly selected an asshole to represent their country?

NoCo wrote:
As to Obama's broken promises, I'm working on it.

Don't bother.  We know he didn't do all the things he said he would do.  Adults don't find that particularly disturbing.  Promises made in a political context are simply aspirational statements.  The president is not in a position to fulfill promises that depend on the cooperation of legislators.  The president proposes, Congress disposes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Landslide!!!   Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:08 am

1. The "tampering" was done not at the voting machine level, but in the automated vote consolidators. Watch "Hacking Democracy."

2. It's not so much the campaign promises Obama didn't keep, it's the broader issues of "restoring integrity" and "holding people accountable" that he didn't do. I should have my list done in a day or so, it'll explain what I mean.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
_Howard
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Landslide!!!   Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:19 am

We can all point to disappointing things done - or not done - by Obama's administration. But I don't believe there is anything that could validate the use of "failed administration". You have to look at the overall picture at the beginning and end of the administration and judge whether or not he failed in general terms.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Landslide!!!   Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:54 am

_Howard wrote:
he failed in general terms.
He failed in general terms by not being the hopey changey thing we voted for.

Yes, he cleaned up the huge mess Bush left him. Yes, he had a Congress determined to prevent his every move.

But fundamentally, he was a centrist president who continued, even expanded policies like drones and domestic surveillance, and fundamentally nothing has changed about government. The Right was not held accountable for the failures of 2000-2008, which is why they were able to regroup and come back in force this year.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kilo

PostSubject: Re: Landslide!!!   Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:14 am

Quote :
He failed in general terms by not being the hopey changey thing we voted for.

I didn't vote for any "hopey changey" thing. I voted for an articulate individual with a generally liberal outlook who wasn't John McCain or Mitt Romney.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
_Howard
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Landslide!!!   Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:23 am

+1
Back to top Go down
View user profile
richard09

PostSubject: Re: Landslide!!!   Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:23 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile