Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

Things That Just Work, First Time - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Things That Just Work, First Time   Things That Just Work, First Time - Page 4 EmptyThu Sep 21, 2017 5:37 pm

They can be a bit "spendy" (as the kids say). I paid about nine bucks apiece for these bulbs (eleven of the damned things).

I read a bunch of articles, including several tests, about LED bulbs before buying them. A couple of the test articles reported that dimmable LED bulbs are typically built to higher standards and their tests showed longer life expectancy even when used as a non-dimmable bulb. So that's why I got dimmable bulbs. The articles also stressed a preference for bulbs with heat sinks. Turns out that LED bulb control circuits are very inefficient: a great deal of their power consumption is released as heat in the control circuits. The light-emmitting diodes themselves are incredibly efficient, making the bulb very efficient overall.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Things That Just Work, First Time   Things That Just Work, First Time - Page 4 EmptySun Sep 24, 2017 6:17 am

Things That Just Work, First Time - Page 4 Poopourri_original_-_new_1
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Things That Just Work, First Time   Things That Just Work, First Time - Page 4 EmptySun Sep 24, 2017 6:21 am

_Howard wrote:
I read a bunch of articles, including several tests, about LED bulbs before buying them.
You remind me of my dad. He was a charter subscriber to Consumer's Reports, kept all the yearly summaries on our bookshelf (going back 20 years!) and never bought anything without consulting CU.

As a result we had a lot of bland, non-innovative, reasonable-performing objects in our house.
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: Things That Just Work, First Time   Things That Just Work, First Time - Page 4 EmptySun Sep 24, 2017 8:03 am

I have read one issue of Consumer Reports; that was decades ago,
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Things That Just Work, First Time   Things That Just Work, First Time - Page 4 EmptyFri Mar 11, 2022 1:48 pm

Sometimes something purposebuilt for a task just performs better.

In my reading chair, in the music room, I have kept a small spray bottle of Windex and a special cleaning cloth for my reading glasses and the screen on my iPad.  I've tried lots of alternatives, such as regular washcloths (don't get in the corners), Kleenex (leave residue), water (doesn't dissolve hand oils), hand sanitizer (leaves residue), glass wipes (do not dry completely), electronic wipes (ditto), and many others.

But even my best attempts were rarely 100% successful.  They left spots or residue.

So recently when I an across some Japanese "Ultra-Fine Densely Woven Premium Microfiber Lens Cleaning Cloths" for cheap at Amazon I had to give them a try.  Wow.  They're the bomb.  No residue, 100% cleaning, washable, don't have to worry about them drying out, and convenient size.  Even without using any liquid, these things do exactly what they say.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Things That Just Work, First Time   Things That Just Work, First Time - Page 4 EmptyTue Jun 14, 2022 7:56 pm

Last month I replaced my old SoniCare electric toothbrush with a newer one. Wife's was newer, she got a deal on a dozen heads, so I decided to get a handle that used the same heads.

Not that there was anything wrong with my old handle. It still charged up fine and brushed fine after, what, at least ten years.

But the new one is smaller and lighter and quieter.

Here's the thing though. Although they both brush for a 2-minute cycle, the new one has little beeps every 30 seconds. You know what? Those beeps makes the two minutes a lot less interminable. I usually ended up turning off the old brush before it finished, because the 2 minutes seemed to take forever. With the new brush... with the built-in timekeeper... it's a lot easier to brush for the full 2-minutes 'cause I know where I am in the cycle.

Very clever design, that.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Things That Just Work, First Time   Things That Just Work, First Time - Page 4 EmptySat Feb 04, 2023 11:28 am

Speaking of clever design improvements....

For years I have used a heating pad on my back. It's a cheaper and less-invasive option to the spinal fusion my sister underwent, for congenital spinal problems we both seem to have.

Recently I decided to replace my old plastic pad that got uncomfortably hot (Mrs NoCo sewed me a "sock" for it out of a heavy bath towel). Amazon had a model with a fabric surface instead of plastic.

It also has six "speeds" from hot to just barely warm.

It also has a timer. Instead of just turning off after 30 minutes like the old one, this has LEDs for 30 minutes, 60 minutes, 90 minutes and 120 minutes. You set it for two hours, and after an hour the 60 minute LED is illuminated. Another half hour and you can see your cycle is about up.

All three of these features are MAJOR improvements.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Things That Just Work, First Time   Things That Just Work, First Time - Page 4 EmptySun Feb 19, 2023 8:44 pm

Bought a pair of these this week.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SHL6P8V?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
I'd tried something similar, many years ago, but they didn't work well enough to justify the extra hassle. These new ones? The bee's knees. Easy to use, easy to clean, very effective, excellent design. The new toothpaste tubes are all plastic these days rather than foil, so they don't stay scrunched up like the old days. Something like this is almost necessary.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Things That Just Work, First Time   Things That Just Work, First Time - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Things That Just Work, First Time
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4