Go down 
3 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

Time for a convention? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time for a convention?   Time for a convention? - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 14, 2016 9:43 am

You keep providing well-known information.
How about answering my question: You still haven't said what you perceive to be a need for the EC.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Time for a convention?   Time for a convention? - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 14, 2016 9:54 am

I have provided reasons why the Electoral College exists. Both political parties play by the same rules.

The Electoral College may be outdated, but the election of two unqualified Republican presidents is not a reason to dismantle it.
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: Time for a convention?   Time for a convention? - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 14, 2016 10:02 am

I am well aware of why the Electoral College exists.  I don't need history lessons.
I was only asking for your reasoning, in that you said it is needed.

It's not just the two elections. Slightly more than ten percent of Presidents have been elected while losing the popular vote. That is idiotic.

Are you just supporting it because that's the way it has always been? Hypothetically: If the President had always been elected by majority vote and it was suggested that we implement the Electoral College instead, would you be in favor of that?
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Time for a convention?   Time for a convention? - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 14, 2016 8:57 pm

Let me answer your question with another: Do you really think the party that is in power -- that has benefited with their last two presidential election wins -- would vote to change the Constitution?
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: Time for a convention?   Time for a convention? - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 15, 2016 9:15 am

Of course not.

Now, why do you think the Electoral College is needed?
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Time for a convention?   Time for a convention? - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 15, 2016 10:19 am

In exceedingly close elections, it allows a winner to emerge within hours instead of within days.

It also discourages vote fraud. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: Time for a convention?   Time for a convention? - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 15, 2016 10:54 am

NoCoPilot wrote:
In exceedingly close elections, it allows a winner to emerge within hours instead of within days.

That is a completely unimportant factor. Meaningless.
And how long did it take in 2000? And the recount wasn't even completed.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Time for a convention?   Time for a convention? - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 15, 2016 11:15 am

Okay I give up. I've got no good answer that you would accept, for not advocating a complete overhaul of a 229-year old system which nobody has the slightest desire to change.
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: Time for a convention?   Time for a convention? - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 15, 2016 11:22 am

The only question I asked was why you said the EC was needed. The only good answer would be your reason for saying that. I'm not asking you to convince me of the validity of the system.

Quote :
...229-year old system...
Just because it's old doesn't mean it's right today. Or even that it was right 229 years ago.

Quote :
...which nobody has the slightest desire to change.
You're off by many millions.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Time for a convention?   Time for a convention? - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 15, 2016 11:28 am

Wikipedia wrote:
The Constitutional Convention in 1787 used the Virginia Plan as the basis for discussions, as the Virginia delegation had proposed it first. The Virginia Plan called for the Congress to elect the president.[13] Delegates from a majority of states agreed to this mode of election.[14] However, a committee formed to work out various details including the mode of election of the president, recommended instead the election be by a group of people apportioned among the states in the same numbers as their representatives in Congress (the formula for which had been resolved in lengthy debates resulting in the Connecticut Compromise and Three-Fifths Compromise), but chosen by each state "in such manner as its Legislature may direct." Committee member Gouverneur Morris explained the reasons for the change; among others, there were fears of "intrigue" if the president were chosen by a small group of men who met together regularly, as well as concerns for the independence of the president if he was elected by the Congress.[15] Some delegates, including James Wilson and James Madison, preferred popular election of the executive. Madison acknowledged that while a popular vote would be ideal, it would be difficult to get consensus on the proposal given the prevalence of slavery in the South:
Quote :
There was one difficulty however of a serious nature attending an immediate choice by the people. The right of suffrage was much more diffusive in the Northern than the Southern States; and the latter could have no influence in the election on the score of Negroes. The substitution of electors obviated this difficulty and seemed on the whole to be liable to the fewest objections.[16]
The Convention approved the Committee's Electoral College proposal, with minor modifications, on September 6, 1787.[17] Delegates from the small states generally favored the Electoral College out of concern large states would otherwise control presidential elections.[18]
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: Time for a convention?   Time for a convention? - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 15, 2016 11:35 am

What is the point of that quote?
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: Time for a convention?   Time for a convention? - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 15, 2016 11:47 am

Are you familiar with the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact?

States pass a law that require all of their electoral votes must go to the winner of the popular vote. The law goes into force when enough states have passed the law that they control at least 270 electoral votes. Then the Electoral College will become meaningless.

Right now the law has been passed by DC and ten states, include California and Washington. The legislatures in at least a half dozen more states have passed the law, but drew vetoes from Republican governors.

So it looks as though your statement that nobody wants to change it is provably wrong.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Time for a convention?   Time for a convention? - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 15, 2016 11:48 am

Quote :
The substitution of electors obviated this difficulty and seemed on the whole to be liable to the fewest objections.
Except for yours.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Time for a convention?   Time for a convention? - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 15, 2016 11:53 am

_Howard wrote:
Are you familiar with the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact?
No I wasn't, but what is the point of that? If the Electors vote for the majority vote-getter, they might as well just give the election to the majority vote-getter.
Former Delaware Governor Du Pont, a Republican wrote:
that the compact would be an "urban power grab" and benefit Democrats.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Time for a convention?   Time for a convention? - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 15, 2016 11:57 am

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Popular_Vote_Interstate_Compact#/media/File:State_population_per_electoral_vote.png

Note the Blue and Red colors here are not political indicators -- in fact, if you look at where the states fall, the distribution is pretty random politically. The only reliable trend, left to right, is decreasing population density.
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: Time for a convention?   Time for a convention? - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 15, 2016 12:05 pm

NoCoPilot wrote:
No I wasn't, but what is the point of that?  If the Electors vote for the majority vote-getter, they might as well just give the election to the majority vote-getter.
And that is exactly the point of the law.

Former Delaware Governor Du Pont, a Republican wrote:
that the compact would be an "urban power grab" and benefit Democrats.

Obviously, all Du Pont cares about is the Republican Party. Fuck him and the elephant he rode in on.

I really don't understand the objections to the majority deciding the election. If you're worried about the small states, consider that less than one-third of the population has one-half of the Senators. That should be a big enough handicap for them.
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: Time for a convention?   Time for a convention? - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 15, 2016 12:07 pm

NoCoPilot wrote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Popular_Vote_Interstate_Compact#/media/File:State_population_per_electoral_vote.png

Note the Blue and Red colors here are not political indicators -- in fact, if you look at where the states fall, the distribution is pretty random politically.  The only reliable trend, left to right, is decreasing population density.

Yes, I'm quite familiar with that data. Do you think that the voting power should be so divergent?
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Time for a convention?   Time for a convention? - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 15, 2016 12:18 pm

_Howard wrote:
Do you think that the voting power should be so divergent?
I don't know what I think.  I can see both sides of this issue.

The Electoral College tips the scale.  In a straight popular vote election, big states would dominate the election and small states would be ignored.  However, with the EC, the balance is somewhere else off the middle, where if ENOUGH small states vote one way, their candidate wins the election.

The balance point isn't very far off 50/50.  In Bush v. Gore it was 47.9% to to 48.4%, in Trump v. Clinton it was 47.2% to 47.9%.  But the effect is a multiplier of small states' power, if the election is very close.

I'm not sure that's a bad thing. It keeps the election from being about a half dozen states only.

Last edited by NoCoPilot on Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: Time for a convention?   Time for a convention? - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 15, 2016 12:23 pm

I don't understand why small states should have more per capita voting power.
What do you mean "big states would dominate the election and small states would be ignored"? States - big or small - wouldn't play a role in the election; just people. Which seems to be the way most people want it to be.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Time for a convention?   Time for a convention? - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 15, 2016 12:30 pm

_Howard wrote:
What do you mean "big states would dominate the election and small states would be ignored"?
Look at this cartogram.  If popular vote were the only determinant, why would any candidate campaign in, or care about, the Dakotas, Montana, Delaware, Vermont, etc.?  You wouldn't.  You'd spend all your time in California, Texas, Florida, New York, Illinois and Pennsylvania.

Which just happens to coincide, naturally, with population.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Time for a convention?   Time for a convention? - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 15, 2016 12:39 pm

If you add up the %s of US population in each state of the above chart, you only have to campaign in eight states (add Ohio and Georgia to the above list) to get 51.09% of the national population.

That means 42 states would be shut out, more-or-less (nobody's going to get 100% of the vote in a state, but federal spending and promises of federal spending could go a long way toward pushing that total up).
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: Time for a convention?   Time for a convention? - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 15, 2016 1:02 pm

NoCoPilot wrote:
If popular vote were the only determinant, why would any candidate campaign in, or care about, the Dakotas, Montana, Delaware, Vermont, etc.?  You wouldn't.  You'd spend all your time in California, Texas, Florida, New York, Illinois and Pennsylvania.
I doubt that it would be that simplistic, but if it were - SO WHAT?
The candidates for governor of California spend most of their time in San Francisco and LA. And we don't care! It makes perfectly good sense. It doesn't bother me in the least.

If some people in some states get their feelings hurt, that's just too bad.

I still don't understand the concern about small-population deserving a boost in their voting power. It makes absolutely no sense to me.

And Please don't post any more historical shit - I know all that. Would you like to see my diploma for my  BA in Political Science? I understand where the EC came from and why. What I don't understand is why people today support it (except for the politicians who benefit from it).

Time for a convention? - Page 2 Img_0811

Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Time for a convention?   Time for a convention? - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 15, 2016 2:04 pm

_Howard wrote:
What I don't understand is why people today support it
NoCoPilot wrote:
federal spending and promises of federal spending could go a long way toward pushing that total up).
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: Time for a convention?   Time for a convention? - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 15, 2016 2:41 pm

I don't get your meaning. Or maybe you mean that things will be done exactly as they are now.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Time for a convention?   Time for a convention? - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 15, 2016 2:49 pm

The federal government has a lot of sway, in terms of spending, letting contracts, building infrastructure, providing grants.

Without the EC the majority (at least 51.6%) of all such spending would go to California, Texas, Florida, New York, Illinois, Pennsylvania, Georgia and Ohio.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Time for a convention?   Time for a convention? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Time for a convention?
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next