Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

Daylight Savings Empty
PostSubject: Daylight Savings   Daylight Savings EmptySun Nov 06, 2016 12:13 pm

Just noticed that I have at least fifteen clocks and other devices that have to be changed manually. I'm so slow that by the time I get finished, it's almost time to change them back.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

Daylight Savings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Daylight Savings   Daylight Savings EmptyMon Nov 07, 2016 2:28 am

DST is an anachronism in this electronic age. Time to discontinue it.
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

Daylight Savings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Daylight Savings   Daylight Savings EmptyMon Nov 07, 2016 8:17 am

Why does the "electronic age" make DST an anachronism? What would be the benefits of doing away with it?
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

Daylight Savings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Daylight Savings   Daylight Savings EmptyMon Nov 07, 2016 12:16 pm

There is one benefit I can think of. Every year when the clocks are rolled back, the cat complains about her feeding being delayed. Takes her a week (Hell Week) to get adjusted.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

Daylight Savings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Daylight Savings   Daylight Savings EmptyTue Nov 08, 2016 12:17 pm

_Howard wrote:
Why does the "electronic age" make DST an anachronism? What would be the benefits of doing away with it?
Modern electronic clocks are self-adjusting. Everything important is controlled by NIST so there's no reason to periodically synchronize anymore. The advantage of eliminating DST would be to bring America and Europe into compliance with the rest of the world and eliminate a huge hassle for every procedure in those countries that relies and manually resetting a timeclock twice a year.

It's anachronistic. It was started so farmers could harvest their crops, and today the family farm is a thing of the distant past. It serves no purpose.
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

Daylight Savings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Daylight Savings   Daylight Savings EmptyTue Nov 08, 2016 12:31 pm

NoCoPilot wrote:
Modern electronic clocks are self-adjusting.  Everything important is controlled by NIST so there's no reason to periodically synchronize anymore.
Most clocks are not self-adjusting. Watches are not self-adjusting. The timer on my recirculation pump is not self-adjusting. My TV clock is not self-adjusting because that service is not available with satellite service. The clocks on my oven, microwave oven and landline telephone are not self-adjusting. The radio in my car is not self-adjusting (the one in my wife's car is). And on and on.

NoCoPilot wrote:
It was started so farmers could harvest their crops, and today the family farm is a thing of the distant past.  It serves no purpose.

Actually, it had nothing do with with agriculture. Farmers and ranchers hate it. Crops and animals don't care what the clocks say. It was started during World War 1 and brought back for WWII. When I was born, it wasn't called Daylight Savings Time; it was called War Time.

As to whether it serves no purpose, that is subjective.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

Daylight Savings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Daylight Savings   Daylight Savings EmptyTue Nov 08, 2016 12:38 pm

Gorsh, you're right. I always thought the origin was farmers. "War Time" seems to be the real origin.

Anyway, it's unnecessary anymore (if it ever was).
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

Daylight Savings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Daylight Savings   Daylight Savings EmptyTue Mar 15, 2022 4:45 pm

DST is again being considered for permanent status! But I just have one question:

WHYYYY was Krysten Sinema presiding over the Senate?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Daylight Savings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Daylight Savings   Daylight Savings Empty

Back to top Go down

Daylight Savings
Page 1 of 1