HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Just Computers

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
AuthorMessage
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Just Computers   Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:11 pm

Yesterday we had torrential rain and high wind gusts (65 mph) and our power went out momentarily while I was away from home.

I’d left my computer on, as I usually do.

When I returned, the power was back on but I had to reset all of the clocks, and my computer wouldn’t boot.  After unplugging everything and cold booting about twelve times, I finally got it to boot —but the Bluetooth keyboard wasn’t recognized.

Been trying everything I can think of, but without success.  My keyboard will not connect.

What’s odd is, running the Bluetooth keyboard setup routine, the keyboard will display letters onscreen.  But the next step — pairing the keyboard with the computer —never comes up as an option.

Frustration.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Just Computers   Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:08 am

Well I can’t explain it, but the keyboard is now recognized and working — even though it’s not shown as a connected Bluetooth device.

At one point, during my troubleshooting, I thought I’d remove the keyboard from the list of Bluetooth devices. After I did that I could find no avenue to reinstall it. It never came up as a “new device found”as I thought it would.

But since the setup utility saw letters from it, I thought I’d try other applications... and danged if they don’t work too. Maybe the Bluetooth keyboard has some other connection capability besides Bluetooth???
Back to top Go down
View user profile
_Howard
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Just Computers   Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:46 pm

The assholes are after Apple. Actually, they're after Apple users.

I intentionally answered a spam phone call today. I had previously checked the number and knew what it was, but I wanted to hear it.

The recording advised you that your Apple device had been compromised. You are advised not to do any financial activity with your Apple until after talking to one of their advisors. The woman on the recording was emphatic about it. Redundant, even.

Assholes!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
richard09

PostSubject: Re: Just Computers   Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:49 pm

Uber seems to have managed to be an asshole corporation in various ways over the past couple of years, but this tops the list.

Uber suffered massive data breach, then paid hackers to keep quiet
Back to top Go down
View user profile
_Howard
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Just Computers   Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:48 pm

I have noticed that there are more and more Samsung phones being used in tv programs. Apple needs to work on their product placement program; iPhones used to be on every program.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Just Computers   Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:48 pm

Don't know if it's still the case, but a few years ago Apple would not give products for "free product placement." Their market penetration didn't require it, so they didn't play that game.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
_Howard
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Just Computers   Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:17 pm

Google -- does apple pay for product placement?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Just Computers   Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:03 pm

No idea. That sort of thing isn’t really publicized.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
richard09

PostSubject: Re: Just Computers   Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:20 pm

I'd never heard of this. I didn't work as close to the bare metal as Howard.

Worries over Intel’s Management Engine grow after new flaws found
Back to top Go down
View user profile
_Howard
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Just Computers   Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:46 am

I knew that Intel had a small processor running on the CPU, but had no idea what is was for.
Most consumers won't have a problem with it because the remote control portions of the program are not activated. But computers intended for commercial use are vulnerable. Here's what I get when I run Intel's program to check the thing:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
richard09

PostSubject: Re: Just Computers   Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:55 am

Mine too.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Just Computers   Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:22 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile
_Howard
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Just Computers   Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:27 am

That's a big "Oops".
Root has always been a weak point in UNIX systems. I'm surprised that Apple left it accessible.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Just Computers   Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:29 am

The latest version of Apple iOS -- High Sierra 10.13.1 -- required a complete rewrite of my protection software NoScript (10.1.3c3).  The look&feel of it is now completely different.  When it blocks a script from executing you get a great big dialog box that has to be dismissed, rather than a tiny icon in the corner.  And it came with -- or iOS came with? -- a new software called ABP Ad Blocker Plus which is designed to prevent ads from displaying.

Which of course are ubiquitous.  Every page, no matter where you are, tries to load between 5 and 20 ads or dialog boxes that are flagged as ads.  ABP gives you a number of how many have been blocked on each page.

I've been tinkering with the settings, trying to get stuff to load reliably without too many interruptions.  Many websites, particularly media websites, will not even let you read content if they detect an ad blocker.  That's how they make their income.  Therefore most of the news or entertainment links people send me I cannot view, unless I manually ALLOW myself to be advertised to. And oftentimes not even then.

As if that weren't bad enough, now I have somehow thrown some switch -- cannot figure out where or what -- that a.) prevents mail from loading, b.) prevents YouTube videos from loading.  Everything else works.  But I have to use my iPad to read mail until I figure this out.

I thought I left all of the incomprehensible unintended software interactions behind when I abandoned the Windows platform.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
_Howard
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Just Computers   Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:21 am

Are these all browser problems?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Just Computers   Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:49 am

Hard to say.  Everything else works -- I can even see a screen on AOL that tells me how many new e-mail messages I have -- but if I click on the link it tells me "We're having a technical error right now, please try again later."

With YouTube I can see the page a particular video is on, with all of the 'related videos' shown along the righthand side -- but the video itself never loads.  And videos embedded in other forums do not load.  Everything NoScript-wise and ABP-wise is turned on, allowing absolutely everything for these websites.  Still, no content.

Frustrating is what it is.  This is the kind of shit that soured me on Windows.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Just Computers   Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:08 am

_Howard wrote:
That's a big "Oops".
Root has always been a weak point in UNIX systems. I'm surprised that Apple left it accessible.
Already fixed and I didn't have to do anything.  But it shouldn't have happened in the first place.

I had Guest User turned off anyway, so this wouldn't have affected me. As a computer sitting in my home with no strangers wandering by, I tend to customize accordingly.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Just Computers   Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:25 am

_Howard wrote:
Are these all browser problems?
Huh, okay this appears to be true.

Everything works in Safari. Only Firefox has the problems. Something in Firefox is locked down too tight.

At least I have an option.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
_Howard
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Just Computers   Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:36 pm

Are you familiar with about:config in Firefox?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Just Computers   Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:31 pm

No. What about it?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
_Howard
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Just Computers   Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:09 pm

You can do a lot with it. Such as tell your browser whether or not to automatically play media files.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Just Computers   Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:49 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile
_Howard
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Just Computers   Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:53 pm

and....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Just Computers   Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:08 pm

Yeech.  The thing I hate hate hate hate about Safari is that every page is delivered with at least one ad on the page -- often several -- and ads are also presented to you as if they're news stories.  It isn't until you start reading that you realize you've been duped into reading somebody's ad copy.

FUCK THAT.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Just Computers   Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:47 pm

Another fucking thing I hate about fucking Safari: font size. It keeps changing. I bump it up to something readable (10-12 point) and it unaccountably decides on its own to default back to 6 pt or 4pt.

And the screen occasionally zooms in to about 500% of its "real" size without me doing anything. Getting it back isn't as easy as zooming out either, because everything is rearranged when zoomed in, and doesn't go back to normal when zooming out.

Stupid stupid Safari.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Just Computers   

Back to top Go down

Just Computers
Page 13 of 17Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Topics :: Science & Tech-
Jump to: