Portable Programs

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

Portable Programs Empty
PostSubject: Portable Programs   Portable Programs EmptyFri Aug 05, 2016 5:07 pm

Okay, just for the hell of it, I have been playing with "portable apps". That is, programs installed on and run from USB flash drives. I found versions of Firefox, Thunderbird, and KeePass( a password saver) that are configured for use on flash drives. They don't use the registry (may it and its developers rot in hell) and they don't write any files to the system drive.

Installation is very simple; just unzip a file to the flash drive and copy over your data files. For those of us accustomed to the hassles that Windows program installations can sometimes (unnecessarily) be, this is a big deal. You can then use the programs on any computer that supports the OS for which they were intended. Firefox even has a 32-bit and 64-bit version which is automatically selected for your hardware and native OS.

All the programs are working just fine (so far).

I have no idea what I will ever use them for - if anything - but it's fun to see what people are developing to take advantage of the emerging technology (the Firefox and Thunderbird versions were not released by Mozilla, but by a third party developer). Just a few years ago, none of this would have been possible, or at least worthwhile, because the high-capacity, high-speed flash drives weren't available.

Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

Portable Programs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Portable Programs   Portable Programs EmptyFri Aug 05, 2016 5:12 pm

[crickets]
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

Portable Programs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Portable Programs   Portable Programs EmptyFri Aug 05, 2016 5:17 pm

Sometimes your comments are just too abstruse.
Like the preceding one, for example.
It leads me to thinking in acronyms, such as WTF.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

Portable Programs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Portable Programs   Portable Programs EmptyFri Aug 05, 2016 5:52 pm

When Thinking Fails?
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

Portable Programs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Portable Programs   Portable Programs EmptyFri Aug 05, 2016 6:05 pm

Portable Programs Chinese_symbols_for_abstruse_7546_2_47
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

Portable Programs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Portable Programs   Portable Programs EmptyFri Aug 05, 2016 6:22 pm

其所有在上下文
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

Portable Programs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Portable Programs   Portable Programs EmptyFri Aug 05, 2016 6:37 pm

I don't get your reference to context.

But then I didn't get your reference to crickets, either.
Perhaps you could explain that.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Portable Programs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Portable Programs   Portable Programs Empty

Back to top Go down

Portable Programs
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Topics :: Science & Tech-
Jump to: