DNC Convention

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

DNC Convention Empty
PostSubject: DNC Convention   DNC Convention EmptySun Jul 24, 2016 7:13 am

I plan to miss most of the Democratic convention this week, as I did the RNC last week.  I expect it will be just as full of bluster and useless hyperbole as the RNC convention.

One of the hosts on MSNBC said that he thought the conventions were still worthwhile, even after both parties have already chosen their nominees, because a "rather large number" of voters did not follow the primary campaigns and the conventions are their first chance to see and compare the parties' nominees.

If there's any hint of truth in that, I say god help them.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

DNC Convention Empty
PostSubject: Re: DNC Convention   DNC Convention EmptyMon Jul 25, 2016 6:28 pm

Whoa.  Paul Simon performing "Bridge Over Troubled Water", he looks like he's been on a five-year drinking binge and sounds like it too.  Last time I saw him in concert, a few years ago, he looked and sounded great.  What happened to him?  He's sounding and looking awful.

Yipes. This is a "Clint Eastwood talking to an empty chair" moment.
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

DNC Convention Empty
PostSubject: Re: DNC Convention   DNC Convention EmptyTue Jul 26, 2016 2:16 pm

Hell, Simon is 74 years old. What do you expect?

Saw Elizabeth Warren and Bernie Sanders speak last night. Both were great.

The fucking crowd went wild for Sanders. Thought the applause would never stop. I actually had time to wash the dinner dishes while the crowd was greeting Sanders. I doubt that Clinton will get that kind of reception.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

DNC Convention Empty
PostSubject: Re: DNC Convention   DNC Convention EmptyWed Jul 27, 2016 5:22 am

I saw Monday night's speeches by Cory Booker, Michelle Obama, Elizabeth Warren and I fell asleep during Bernie Sanders.

I thought Michelle's speech was fabulous. "Every morning I wake up in a house built by slaves." Wow. If First Ladies later running for President becomes a thing, she'd be a good second example.

Elizabeth Warren has been better. But she did a good job of cutting Trump down to size, and I hope the campaign utilizes her for more of this until November.

Bernie.... Bernie.... Bernie who? Al Franken was asked about Hillary and Senator Sanders and he said, "I know them both, I've worked with both of them, I like them both. But Hillary is the one who can get stuff done." There's some truth to that -- I liked Sanders' idealism, but the prospect of him working with Congress to get anything done would require A. a new Congress and B. a new mindset for the new Congress and C. a country united behind the new political agenda, such as Roosevelt had -- which we do not have today.

Politics is dirty. Compromise is dirty. Hillary is a dirty fighter and is more likely to compromise her way to at least SOME of the progressive agenda. Bernie would aim for the moon and get nowhere.
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

DNC Convention Empty
PostSubject: Re: DNC Convention   DNC Convention EmptyWed Jul 27, 2016 11:23 am

I don't expect Clinton to make much of an attempt at making the financial laws more progressive.

Yes, Clinton has a better chance of doing some small things. BFD. I would rather have someone who will at least try to do something significant.
Back to top Go down
richard09

richard09

DNC Convention Empty
PostSubject: Re: DNC Convention   DNC Convention EmptyWed Jul 27, 2016 7:02 pm

Obamacare is going to struggle as both Congress and their paymasters try to break it. If Clinton can make enough changes to keep the idea of a universal system alive in the US, I'll be well pleased, even if she can't do anything else.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

DNC Convention Empty
PostSubject: Re: DNC Convention   DNC Convention EmptyWed Jul 27, 2016 7:06 pm

_Howard wrote:
Hell, Simon is 74 years old. What do you expect?
Are you going to be a drooling mumbling idiot in 3 years?

Oh. Wait.
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

DNC Convention Empty
PostSubject: Re: DNC Convention   DNC Convention EmptyThu Jul 28, 2016 1:18 pm

You're very close to being correct, I'm afraid.
But your math is off; it's just a hair over two years.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

DNC Convention Empty
PostSubject: Re: DNC Convention   DNC Convention EmptyWed Aug 19, 2020 6:01 am

This year's "virtual" convention has been both a lot more fun and shown some creative genius.  The roll call last night, featuring native landscapes and people-of-note, was brilliant.  Michelle Obama's speech Monday night will be studied the same way the Gettysburg Address is studied (I don't think I'm overstating).

Of course, conventions don't change minds.  They're rah-rah pep rallies for the initiated.
Quote :
A St Louis couple pictured pointing guns at BLM protesters will speak at the Republican convention next week, alongside Nick Sandmann, a student whose confrontation with a Native American activist in Washington DC went viral last year.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

DNC Convention Empty
PostSubject: Re: DNC Convention   DNC Convention EmptyWed Aug 19, 2020 7:59 pm

I dunno, maybe it’s just me, but I see a cognitive dissonance when the Dems talk about Joe Biden’s faith in god in one breath, and talk about his COVID policy being guided by science in the next breath.

When will it be okay to be an openly-atheist politician?
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

DNC Convention Empty
PostSubject: Re: DNC Convention   DNC Convention EmptyThu Aug 20, 2020 7:29 am

Ex-presidents are usually bound by precedent to not disparage their successor, but Obama said last night that four more years of Trump would be "the end of democracy in the US." That's pretty stark stuff.

Both Barack and Michelle have walked a tightrope in their speeches.  They're the "we go high" couple when the opposition goes low.  Therefore they couldn't disparage Trump as a moron or an idiot -- even though that's obvious -- so their speeches said "he is not up to the job."  "He hasn't tried," "he refuses to put in the work."  By making it about his BEHAVIOR, rather than his CHARACTER, they soften the blow and make it less personal.

I thought both speeches were masterful.

Trump's response? "HE SPIED ON MY CAMPAIGN, AND GOT CAUGHT!"  That means Bill Barr will be bringing charges, "Trumped"-up charges, next month regarding the alleged spying.  Which of course, federal prosecutors have already looked at, in detail, and said were perfectly appropriate in light of the fact Paul Manafort was colluding with a Russian GRU operative Konstantin Kilimnik, to make foreign policy before the official transition.  That's illegal.

I.e., when Trump/Barr push these charges in September, hoping to skew the election, the response from the Obama administration needs only to be the above.  Then when the orange rodeo clown is out of office, he can explain why publicizing his crimes was such a good idea.

I take it back.  I'd like to be around to see this.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

DNC Convention Empty
PostSubject: Re: DNC Convention   DNC Convention EmptyThu Aug 20, 2020 7:59 pm

VERY nice segment by a 13-year old kid who stutters. Talked about how Joe talked to him and gave him tricks to overcome it in public speaking.

I’m still not in love with Joe, but he’s a much better choice, and I think he will actually improve things.  He’s facing impossible odds though.

Biden says Trump is waiting for a miracle to defeat the COVID virus. “Mr President, no miracle is coming.”  Ye-ow!

And Julia Louis-Dreyfus was hilarious.

Last edited by NoCoPilot on Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

DNC Convention Empty
PostSubject: Re: DNC Convention   DNC Convention EmptyFri Aug 21, 2020 7:38 am

NoCoPilot wrote:
VERY nice segment by a 13-year old kid who stutters. Talked about how Joe talked to him and gave him tricks to overcome it in public speaking.
Chris Cillizza, of CNN, wrote:
Brayden Harrington: Maybe it's because I have a son around Brayden's age. Maybe it's because I know how hard it is to be a kid who stands out for anything. Maybe it's because I can't even imagine the bravery it takes as a 13-year-old with a stutter to stand up in front of a camera -- and knowing that tens of millions of people will see it -- and talk about a struggle you have and how you are working to overcome it. But I cried during most of his speech -- and for a while afterward. I will remember that speech for a very, very long time.
https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2020/08/21/brayden-harrington-dnc-2020-speech-full-video-vpx.cnn

Contrast this with Trump making fun of a reporter with a disability. Dems should play the two clips side by side all during the RNC convention.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

DNC Convention Empty
PostSubject: Re: DNC Convention   DNC Convention Empty

Back to top Go down

DNC Convention
Page 1 of 1