HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Chet and Bernie

Go down 
AuthorMessage
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Chet and Bernie   Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:03 pm

Just started reading the most recent Chet and Bernie mystery, entitled "Scents and Sensibility." Great so far.

There have been 5 or 6 previous Chet and Bernie mysteries, and I've loved them all. Spencer Quinn is the author's name, or rather his pen name.

What makes them great is this: Chet is a dog. He and his owner Bernie Little run Little Detective Agency, chasing perps and solving crimes. The books are told, narrated, in Chet's voice, with a realistic portrayal of how a dog's mind works. Severe ADHD. Can't count past two. Can't be bothered with politics or relationships. Gets distracted by scents and sounds every few minutes, but is loyal to Bernie above all else.

Great reads for dog lovers.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
richard09

PostSubject: Re: Chet and Bernie   Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:52 pm

Finished the Bond books, and really enjoyed them. Wish there were more, which is my highest recommendation. Comparing the books to the movies, I have to say that almost none of the movies' Bonds resemble the James Bond of the books at all, even Sean Connery. The one who does the best job in that regard is George Lazenby, who everybody hated. But his film, On Her Majesty's Secret Service, actually follows the book relatively closely, and he does a pretty good job as James. Hugely underrated.

Looking for another series, I searched for Chet and Bernie in the Kindle store, but found I would have to pay for them. So I went back to the old stand-by: Brooklyn Public Library. I'm reading my second one now. I have to admit, the author does capture dog mentality in very entertaining fashion. I wouldn't really bite that horse in the leg. But why am I suddenly standing next to it? Che-et.

On Kindle, I found that the Harry Potter books are on Kindle Unlimited, so I started reading those. Actually not a bad read, so far.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Chet and Bernie   Sun May 06, 2018 6:57 pm

Thought I’d scored a coup yesterday when I found a used copy of Spencer Quinn’s new book, “The Right Side.” Oh boy, a new Chet and Bernie book!

Except it isn’t.

The book’s a novel about an Afghan vet with PTSD and her difficulty reintegrating into society. Pretty grim stuff. But halfway through she gets adopted by a stray dog, who proceeds to set her straight.

So that’s why it was released under the Quinn pen name instead of the author’s real name Peter Abrahams.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Chet and Bernie   

Back to top Go down

Chet and Bernie
Page 1 of 1