HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

3 Hours of Relaxing Jazz

Go down 
AuthorMessage
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

3 Hours of Relaxing Jazz Empty
PostSubject: 3 Hours of Relaxing Jazz   3 Hours of Relaxing Jazz EmptyTue May 31, 2016 8:38 pm

Friend of mine -- the Jehovah's Witness actually -- ran across some videos on YouTube that he wants shot to CD-R (music only).  They're a series of 3-hour videos, and some 6-hr, 8-hr and 10-hr videos, of smooth jazz by some wank in Australia named David Lewis Luong.

Near as I can figger, the dude's the son of a couple music teachers and plays several instruments.  These videos appear to be all him -- bass, drums, keyboards and an assortment of woodwinds.  The bass, drums and keyboards are pretty obviously GarageBand samples or similar, because they're NOT QUITE realistic.  However, the sax, flute, & trumpet don't sound like samples to me.  I think they're played live on real instruments -- surprisingly.

Here's the thing though.  These pieces aren't really songs.  They have no melodies.  They are hours and hours of aimless noodling over chord changes. Frequent changes of lead instrument, some changes in tempo, some change ups in percussion keep them from sounding repetitive.  If you just walked past a radio playing one of the "songs" you wouldn't notice anything was wrong.

But if you listen for a bit.... Something's missing. Something essential.

It's debatable they're even music.  They SOUND like music from a distance, but they're some kind of fat-free substitute.  Weird... and oddly disturbing.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

3 Hours of Relaxing Jazz Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3 Hours of Relaxing Jazz   3 Hours of Relaxing Jazz EmptyThu Jun 02, 2016 2:30 pm

Just finished cutting it up into tracks and burning CDs.  I offered the dude an MP3 disc with everything on it -- being MP3s it is not great fidelity -- but he isn't sure his car stereo plays MP3s.

So there are four discs of "songs" and then a disc of an "extended edition" where Luong plays one song for an hour and ten minutes.  And then the MP3 disc.

How does one play the same song for over an hour, you ask?  Easy.  This shit is formless / aimless noodling over a rhythm bed anyway, so it's hardly noticeable.  In fact, I'm not sure if the backing repeats every 5 minutes.  Hard to tell.  Hell, maybe the whole thing repeats every 5:00.
Back to top Go down

3 Hours of Relaxing Jazz
Page 1 of 1