Zimmerman Verdict

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

Zimmerman Verdict Empty
PostSubject: Zimmerman Verdict   Zimmerman Verdict EmptySun Jul 14, 2013 5:09 pm

"Not Guilty," says the jury.

Am I alone in thinking this was a shitty verdict?
Back to top Go down
richard09

richard09

Zimmerman Verdict Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zimmerman Verdict   Zimmerman Verdict EmptyMon Jul 15, 2013 8:10 am

I can understand that legally, it may difficult or even impossible to convict Zimmerman of premeditated murder. (The way the law stands, and with no direct witnesses, his claim of self-defence is at least enough to establish reasonable doubt.)

But the fact remains that he instigated the whole chain of events, even ignoring police advice, and that chain led directly to the boy's death. There should be some (legal) consequences for that. Walking scot-free is not right.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

Zimmerman Verdict Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zimmerman Verdict   Zimmerman Verdict EmptyMon Jul 15, 2013 12:38 pm

The Martin family will be filing a wrongful death suit against Zimmerman. The standard of proof is much lower. Remember that's how the Coleman family finally got O.J. Simpson.

Shitty verdict? Yes. But I did not hear all the evidence, I did not hear the jury instructions, and I realize that sometimes a jury's duty is to apply the law as written, not to mete out justice.
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

Zimmerman Verdict Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zimmerman Verdict   Zimmerman Verdict EmptyMon Jul 15, 2013 12:51 pm

richard09 wrote:
I can understand that legally, it may difficult or even impossible to convict Zimmerman of premeditated murder.
The charge was second-degree murder, which typically does not carry the burden of proving premeditation, and the lesser-included offense of manslaughter does not carry that burden either. I had expected a verdict of manslaughter, which I believe would have been proper.

richard09 wrote:
But the fact remains that he instigated the whole chain of events, even ignoring police advice, and that chain led directly to the boy's death. There should be some (legal) consequences for that. Walking scot-free is not right.
Absolutely. Zimmerman's actions - both in this case and in earlier reported actions - present him as nothing more that a racist bully, all puffed up by carrying a gun. This case shows exactly why these states with little or no restrictions of who can carry a gun are fucking up big time.

NoCoPilot wrote:
Shitty verdict?  Yes.  But I did not hear all the evidence, I did not hear the jury instructions, and I realize that sometimes a jury's duty is to apply the law as written, not to mete out justice.
The jury instructions seem to be at least part of the reason why Zimmerman walked.
Yes, it's a shame that the American legal system does not actively pursue justice, merely the application of sometimes arbitrary or conflicting rules.

All in all, it would seem that WWB is still a capital crime in parts of the South.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

Zimmerman Verdict Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zimmerman Verdict   Zimmerman Verdict EmptyMon Jul 15, 2013 12:56 pm

_Howard wrote:
All in all, it would seem that WWB is still a capital crime in parts of the South.
That's the real bottom line here.

What was the racial makeup of the jury? I heard it was all women but haven't heard if any African Americans served on it.
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

Zimmerman Verdict Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zimmerman Verdict   Zimmerman Verdict EmptyMon Jul 15, 2013 12:59 pm

Six white women. One married to an attorney (and she has already has a deal with a publisher for a book).

The Justice Dept. is still investigating the case. Maybe they will nail the Zimmer for depriving the kid of his civil rights. That should be a no-brainer.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

Zimmerman Verdict Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zimmerman Verdict   Zimmerman Verdict EmptyMon Jul 15, 2013 1:06 pm

I think Justice should stay out of it. Our legal system is what it is; if we start 'making a federal case' out of every miscarriage of justice that's a slippery slope.
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

Zimmerman Verdict Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zimmerman Verdict   Zimmerman Verdict EmptyMon Jul 15, 2013 1:09 pm

In that case, would there be any reason to have federal laws?
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

Zimmerman Verdict Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zimmerman Verdict   Zimmerman Verdict EmptyMon Jul 15, 2013 1:19 pm

In that case, would there be any reason to have local laws?

Federal laws should be restricted to interstate matters.
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

Zimmerman Verdict Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zimmerman Verdict   Zimmerman Verdict EmptyMon Jul 15, 2013 1:39 pm

So, you're in favor of bringing back lynchings?

Only federal civil rights laws prevent it.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

Zimmerman Verdict Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zimmerman Verdict   Zimmerman Verdict EmptyMon Jul 15, 2013 1:39 pm

The Voice of Reason chimes in.
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

Zimmerman Verdict Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zimmerman Verdict   Zimmerman Verdict EmptyMon Jul 15, 2013 1:54 pm

More proof that not all musicians (and I use that word freely) should be allowed to use drugs.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

Zimmerman Verdict Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zimmerman Verdict   Zimmerman Verdict EmptyMon Jul 15, 2013 3:18 pm

_Howard wrote:
So, you're in favor of bringing back lynchings?
In certain jurisdictions -- such as along Pennsylvania Avenue -- you bet I am.
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

Zimmerman Verdict Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zimmerman Verdict   Zimmerman Verdict EmptyMon Jul 15, 2013 3:24 pm

I may not be completely opposed to that, but there is one problem: the jurisdiction you propose is governed only by federal law. May I suggest that we start with Wall Street?
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

Zimmerman Verdict Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zimmerman Verdict   Zimmerman Verdict EmptyMon Jul 15, 2013 3:32 pm

Why yes, yes you may.
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

Zimmerman Verdict Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zimmerman Verdict   Zimmerman Verdict EmptyMon Jul 15, 2013 3:44 pm

Thank you. Then I shall.
Back to top Go down
iforgotmypassword

iforgotmypassword

Zimmerman Verdict Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zimmerman Verdict   Zimmerman Verdict EmptyMon Jul 22, 2013 9:09 pm

_Howard wrote:
"Not Guilty," says the jury.

Am I alone in thinking this was a shitty verdict?
No. By my way of thinking he was committing murder the minute he insisted on following the boy. He had a truck to get into, a 911 operator telling him to stop and that they had the information and yet, he chose to stalk the teen.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Zimmerman Verdict Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zimmerman Verdict   Zimmerman Verdict Empty

Back to top Go down

Zimmerman Verdict
Page 1 of 1