HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Lack of Imagination

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

Lack of Imagination Empty
PostSubject: Lack of Imagination   Lack of Imagination EmptyWed Jul 03, 2013 12:25 pm

Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: Lack of Imagination   Lack of Imagination EmptyWed Jul 03, 2013 1:19 pm

And in nearly every case, neither of the movies should have been released. (Or maybe they weren't released; maybe they escaped.)

It's the same in television: they could just air the same programs with different names and the result would be the same as what we have now. Newton Minnow was right.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Lack of Imagination   Lack of Imagination EmptyThu Jul 25, 2013 9:26 am

_Howard wrote:
Newton Minnow was right.
Newton N. Minow wrote:
I invite each of you to sit down in front of your own television set when your station goes on the air and stay there, for a day, without a book, without a magazine, without a newspaper, without a profit and loss sheet or a rating book to distract you. Keep your eyes glued to that set until the station signs off. I can assure you that what you will observe is a vast wasteland.

You will see a procession of game shows, formula comedies about totally unbelievable families, blood and thunder, mayhem, violence, sadism, murder, western bad men, western good men, private eyes, gangsters, more violence, and cartoons. And endlessly commercials — many screaming, cajoling, and offending. And most of all, boredom. True, you'll see a few things you will enjoy. But they will be very, very few. And if you think I exaggerate, I only ask you to try it.
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: Lack of Imagination   Lack of Imagination EmptyThu Jul 25, 2013 4:56 pm

Minnow made that speech more than fifty years ago. Can you imagine what his opinion of today's television programs would be? "Vast wasteland" is far too weak a term to describe the shit on the tube today.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Lack of Imagination   Lack of Imagination EmptyThu Jul 25, 2013 5:05 pm

And who is to blame? Advertises? Neilsens? Viewers? The networks?
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: Lack of Imagination   Lack of Imagination EmptyThu Jul 25, 2013 5:13 pm

All of the above.
Actually, capitalism is to blame. The TV networks are like every other business: they ignore everything except profit.
In case no one has noticed, in my old age I have become anti-capitalism. Give me a chance and I'll blame everything on the evils of capitalism.Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: Lack of Imagination   Lack of Imagination EmptyFri Jul 26, 2013 12:40 pm

Huh. China seems to be taking a Great Leap Forward on this subject.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Lack of Imagination   Lack of Imagination EmptyFri Jul 26, 2013 1:00 pm

Interesting that the Chinese Communist Party seems to be afraid of the populace becoming too enamoured of the idea of voting.

At work here, some people were talking about a show they were all buzzed about called "Naked and Alone" or something like that, where contestants are dropped without clothes into some hostile environment?

My co-workers never stopped to consider who is filming this extravaganza if the contestants are "alone."

Rather than voting, I worry that such pseudo-reality shows are causing the national IQ to plummet.
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: Lack of Imagination   Lack of Imagination EmptyFri Jul 26, 2013 1:07 pm

NoCoPilot wrote:
... I worry that such pseudo-reality shows are causing the national IQ to plummet.
That seems reasonable, but wouldn't the national IQ have to have already taken a steep decline for these programs to become so popular?
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Lack of Imagination   Lack of Imagination EmptyFri Jul 26, 2013 1:22 pm

It's a case of the forest and the trees.
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: Lack of Imagination   Lack of Imagination EmptyFri Jul 26, 2013 1:24 pm

You mean people are becoming as stupid as wood?
I agree.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Lack of Imagination   Lack of Imagination EmptyFri Jul 26, 2013 1:43 pm

Oh wait you said "popular."
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: Lack of Imagination   Lack of Imagination EmptyFri Jul 26, 2013 1:46 pm

Good one.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Lack of Imagination   Lack of Imagination EmptyFri Jul 26, 2013 3:02 pm

Can "Ow My Balls" be far behind? Smile
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: Lack of Imagination   Lack of Imagination EmptyFri Jul 26, 2013 3:05 pm

We can hope so.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lack of Imagination   Lack of Imagination Empty

Back to top Go down

Lack of Imagination
Page 1 of 1