HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Just For Fun!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
_Howard
Admin

PostSubject: Just For Fun!   Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:41 pm

Don't I wish.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Just For Fun!   Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:56 pm

I'm such a pussy, this scared the shit out of me & it's just a video.

Speed is scary enough (265km/hr = 164 mph) but dodging all that traffic? Madness. One driver changing lanes would have killed the driver & his passenger. And for what? A little adrenaline rush.

Give me classical music, a glass of wine & a rocking chair.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
_Howard
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Just For Fun!   Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:37 am

Have you ever done anything that was just a little dangerous?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Just For Fun!   Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:33 am

Let me think on that.

Offhand I'd say no -- once or twice after doing something I realized it was incredibly stupid (viz. as a kid I put firecrackers under cans, and once considered trying a jar but was talked out of it).  

Spreading my sister's ashes on an unfamiliar loop trail, we lost our way at the top and wandered around for two hours before a hiker coming the other direction showed us the trail down (it was covered by snow -- but we could have always gone down the way we came up.)

In high school a friend gave me a ride on the back of his motorcycle, on the freeway, and intentionally went over the lane divider bumps.  I was hanging on by my scrotum.  I was scared by that.

I had a girlfriend once that wanted to make love in the living room while her whole family slept in the same room (can't remember why we all were sleeping in the living room now).

I accidentally put the blade on backwards on my dad's radial arm saw once.  It slammed a piece of wood into the wall behind the saw.  Never did that again.

In shop class I accidentally put 20,000 volts through my hand (low wattage).  It was numb for an hour.

When doing anything remotely risky I do everything I can to mitigate the risk (120 pound heavy duty ladder, anyone?)

But intentionally doing something I knew beforehand was dangerous?  I'll have to dredge up buried memories, if I have any.

Last edited by NoCoPilot on Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:47 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
_Howard
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Just For Fun!   Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:43 am

You'll never know what you have missed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Just For Fun!   Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:48 am

Do you like gambling, Howard? I never understood the thrill, myself. Unearned gains feel just as rotten to me as undeserved pain.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
_Howard
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Just For Fun!   Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:14 am

I have never liked gambling. I did very much enjoy playing cards, especially when in the Navy. I bought my first stereo system with the funds I earned playing cards. But it wasn't gambling for me - just for my opponents.

You correlate risky activities with gambling and pain. I never looked at it that way. I just saw the enjoyment in it.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Just For Fun!   Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:05 pm

But what "fun", what "enjoyment" did you derive from it? It was the adrenaline rush, wasn't it?

"Cheating death," getting away with putting yourself in danger, tempting fate... these are gambler's traits.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
_Howard
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Just For Fun!   Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:36 pm

You're looking at it the wrong way. I never did anything because it was dangerous. I did them in spite of it being dangerous. There are people who do things simply because of the danger. These are people I refer to as idiots.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
richard09

PostSubject: Re: Just For Fun!   Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:45 pm

I used to enjoy driving pretty fast (not 160, but 90-120 was fair game). Then I had a blow-out on the NJ turnpike, and lost a lot of my confidence. (Actually, nothing really bad happened, but trying to slow down and wrestle the damned thing off the pavement when it seemed to have developed a mind of its own was kind of sobering.)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
_Howard
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Just For Fun!   Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:59 pm

Blow outs are no fun. I had one on the rear of my Jag at about 120 in a curve. Not fun.

One must weigh the perceived risk with the benefit received from the activity. NoCo flew on a helo a few days ago. A lot of people won't do that because they perceive the risk to be too high for the benefit. Quite frankly, I have no desire to ever again sit my ass in a helo for any reason.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Just For Fun!   Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:38 pm

To me it's all about 'unnecessary risk' -- flying in a helo will be the only (practical) way to see volcanos up close.

Going 90, 120, 165 mph? Not necessary.

Unless I'm on a racetrack and getting paid for it, and everyone else is going about the same speed.

Otherwise, "idiot."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Just For Fun!   Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:46 pm

_Howard wrote:
You're looking at it the wrong way. I never did anything because it was dangerous. I did them in spite of it being dangerous.
Examine your motives, grasshopper.

You said it was fun.  You said it was enjoyable.

What was fun, enjoyable about doing something you knew was dangerous?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
_Howard
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Just For Fun!   Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:55 am

It's all subjective.

NoCo wrote:
To me it's all about 'unnecessary risk' -- flying in a helo will be the only (practical) way to see volcanos up close.
That's a bit self-contradictory. You discard the risk of flying, however small, by considering it to be necessary. That presupposes that seeing the volcano from the air is necessary. To someone else, the risk is not acceptable for the benefit. It's all subjective.

Many "unnecessary" things are common in our lives. And nearly everything comes with some cost. For some activities, the risk is one cost. If a person believes the benefits of the activity are sufficient to accept the risk, then go for it. There are some things which I believe return far too little for what I perceive to be significant risk. Risky endeavors which provide nothing more than the right to say, "I did it." hold no value for me. Others disagree with me and will charge ahead.

Let's take a short trip in the WABAC machine.
Last year, NoCoPilot wrote:
Do you have a 'fuckit list', things you always thought you might do but have come to realize now that you never will?

For me:

• Climb a mountain
  • Skydive
  • Drive 200 mph

Are these necessary?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Just For Fun!   Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:31 am

Are those necessary? No. That's why I'm willing to let them go without experiencing them.

"Seeing an active volcano" is also not necessary, but we decided to visit the Big Island (been to Oahu and. Kauai before), and the helicopter company has never had a crash. We did a helo tour of Kauai's valleys and found the experience a lot less scary than I'd imagined (no open doors or severe vibration). A friend of mine was a helo pilot in the military and never had an incident. I'm not so afraid anymore.

Having seen an active volcano I will be able to cross it off my bucket list. Can you tell me that having driven 165 mph once the driver would never want to do it again?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Just For Fun!   Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:36 am

_Howard wrote:
Let's take a short trip in the WABAC machine.
Funny you should mention this. Just yesterday, in fact, I stopped by Half Price Books and found a DVD compilation of Mr. Peabody and Sherman. Huh, I thought, this looks like fun.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
_Howard
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Just For Fun!   Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:58 pm

NoCoPilot wrote:
Are those necessary?  No.  That's why I'm willing to let them go without experiencing them.
But you expressed a desire to drive 200 mph, and then deride those who have done so, or done something close. Wouldn't your desire indicate that you expected to benefit in some way from the action?

NoCoPilot wrote:
A friend of mine was a helo pilot in the military and never had an incident.
You seldom find a helo pilot who has experienced an "incident." And it's exceedingly rare to find one who has survived two incidents.

NoCoPilot wrote:
Can you tell me that having driven 165 mph once the driver would never want to do it again?
What does that have to do with anything? If the driver wants to do it again, that would indicate that he enjoyed it the first time. Which is the point of it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Just For Fun!   Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:57 pm

If it's enjoyable, WHY is it enjoyable?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
_Howard
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Just For Fun!   Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:36 pm

I have no fucking idea.
Why don't you tell us.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Just For Fun!   Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:40 pm

Adrenaline rush, from doing something inherently dangerous and getting away with it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
_Howard
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Just For Fun!   Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:42 pm

So these are things which you've never done, being done by people you've never met, yet you know exactly why they enjoy these things. Amazing. I'm impressed.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Just For Fun!   Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:33 pm

Human nature is not so mysterious.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
_Howard
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Just For Fun!   Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:35 pm

Then perhaps you can explain why those events in my life that generated the most adrenaline were the opposite of enjoyable.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Just For Fun!   Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:42 pm

Simple really.
Wikipedia wrote:
The reaction begins in the amygdala, which triggers a neural response in the hypothalamus. The initial reaction is followed by activation of the pituitary gland and secretion of the hormone ACTH.[9] The adrenal gland is activated almost simultaneously and releases the neurotransmitter epinephrine. The release of chemical messengers results in the production of the hormone cortisol, which increases blood pressure, blood sugar, and suppresses the immune system.[10] The initial response and subsequent reactions are triggered in an effort to create a boost of energy. This boost of energy is activated by epinephrine binding to liver cells and the subsequent production of glucose.[11] Additionally, the circulation of cortisol functions to turn fatty acids into available energy, which prepares muscles throughout the body for response.[12] Catecholamine hormones, such as adrenaline (epinephrine) or noradrenaline (norepinephrine), facilitate immediate physical reactions associated with a preparation for violent muscular action.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
_Howard
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Just For Fun!   Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:59 pm

Amygdala? Isn't that Donald Trump's wife's name?

But seriously, folks. <rim shot>
While there are some people who like the surge of adrenaline that comes with the fear encountered in jumping off of high places and the like, fast driving or motorcycle riding - while they may be considered risky - are not in the same class. "Adrenaline rush" is the product of fear, which is not normally present in these latter activities.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Just For Fun!   

Back to top Go down

Just For Fun!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Topics :: Just For Fun-
Jump to: