HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Blade Runner 2 Adds Robin Wright in Flagrant Bid to Make Me Consider Seeing It

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
richard09

PostSubject: Blade Runner 2 Adds Robin Wright in Flagrant Bid to Make Me Consider Seeing It   Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:11 pm

wtf?

Quote :
Blade Runner 2 is not a thing that should be happening. Unfortunately, Blade Runner 2 is happening
Back to top Go down
View user profile
_Howard
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Blade Runner 2 Adds Robin Wright in Flagrant Bid to Make Me Consider Seeing It   Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:57 pm

Blade Runner does not need a sequel.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
richard09

PostSubject: Re: Blade Runner 2 Adds Robin Wright in Flagrant Bid to Make Me Consider Seeing It   Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:09 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Blade Runner 2 Adds Robin Wright in Flagrant Bid to Make Me Consider Seeing It   Sat Dec 24, 2016 5:01 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile
richard09

PostSubject: Re: Blade Runner 2 Adds Robin Wright in Flagrant Bid to Make Me Consider Seeing It   Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:34 pm

It never occurred to me that Deckard might himself be a replicant. I thought the whole point was that he had started to think of replicants as people, and that you were supposed to wonder about what exactly the difference was between replicants and people. Apparently other people think differently.

Still, the rest of the interview was interesting.

Blade Runner 2049 Director Says Harrison Ford and Ridley Scott Are Still Arguing About What Deckard Is
Back to top Go down
View user profile
_Howard
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Blade Runner 2 Adds Robin Wright in Flagrant Bid to Make Me Consider Seeing It   Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:54 pm

Whether Deckard was a replicant was one of the most talked-about Blade Runner questions after the Director's Cut came out - at least, as I remember.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Blade Runner 2 Adds Robin Wright in Flagrant Bid to Make Me Consider Seeing It   Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:06 pm

And Ridley Scott confirmed that in his script, Deckard was revealed to be a replicant. A Nexus 6, "more human than human," which makes the whole "retirement" procedure much more an ethical question.

But as is well known, Scott's script got messed with by the studio, his edits were re-edited, a new "happier" ending was tacked on, and he pretty much disavowed the final product.

The ambiguity worked though, by generating a lot of buzz in 1982, and endless debates about was he or wasn't he.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
richard09

PostSubject: Re: Blade Runner 2 Adds Robin Wright in Flagrant Bid to Make Me Consider Seeing It   Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:24 pm

NoCoPilot wrote:
A Nexus 6, "more human than human," which makes the whole "retirement" procedure much more an ethical question. 

But that ethical question arises regardless of whether Deckard is a replicant. And the question of whether Deckard can fall in love with a replicant is rather more pointed (to my mind) if Deckard is human.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Blade Runner 2 Adds Robin Wright in Flagrant Bid to Make Me Consider Seeing It   Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:59 pm

Not really.  It's pretty clear in the movie that Rutger Hauer ("Roy Batty") is in love with Daryl Hannah ("Pris") which is why her death/retirement drives him over the edge.  Replicants are fully capable of falling in love.

Capable of having sex (they worked as "off-world pleasure models").

Probably not capable of reproducing though -- especially not with a four-year lifespan (standard Nexus 6 -- not the 'special' ones like Rachel and presumably Deckard).

A human falling in love with a replicant?  Really?  Did you SEE Sean Young in that movie???? Evil or Very Mad

Last edited by NoCoPilot on Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:35 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Blade Runner 2 Adds Robin Wright in Flagrant Bid to Make Me Consider Seeing It   Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:02 pm

If one really wants to dissect the movie, there are a couple hundred plot holes / illogical leaps / bad-writing-threads showing. But despite that, easily one of my favorite movies ever.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
richard09

PostSubject: Re: Blade Runner 2 Adds Robin Wright in Flagrant Bid to Make Me Consider Seeing It   Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:13 pm

NoCoPilot wrote:
A human falling in love with a replicant?  Really?  Did you SEE Sean Young in that movie???? Evil or Very Mad

You have to understand. I lived with Montez for over 30 years. There were a lot of people who couldn't believe I could land such a beautiful catch. There were also people who only dealt with Montez over the phone, and were very impressed with her. And then there were some of those phone contacts who finally got to meet her, and their reaction changed, drastically.

Yes, Sean Young was beautiful in the movie. And she didn't know she was a replicant. But some people, once they found out she was a replicant, would suddenly find her unattractive. That's how it is in America. And just because she was beautiful, is that enough to make you fall in love? How can you relate to her personality, knowing that it is based on false memories? Are you relating to a person or a computer program?

It's really the same sort of question as your AI movies, but with the added distraction of the physical. And the answer isn't as obvious as you seem to think it is.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Blade Runner 2 Adds Robin Wright in Flagrant Bid to Make Me Consider Seeing It   Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:29 pm

Quote :
And just because she was beautiful, is that enough to make you fall in love?
It doesn't hurt.

You have a good point though about Rachel not really being who she thinks she is, because she's living with borrowed memories. However, she displays real compassion and emotion, and non-replicant behavior when she shoots Leon as he's about to kill Deckard, and again later when she comes to his apartment to, basically, beg for mercy.  By this time she knows she's a replicant, but she trusts Deckard not to kill her. And Gaff knows he won't kill her either.

In the Director's Cut, which I just finished watching again, Deckard escapes with Rachel but there is no hint that her lifespan will be any longer than the standard Nexus 6 four years. He is willing to take her knowing that their time together will be extremely limited.

Yes, Nexus 6s are a form of AI but not really. There's nothing artificial about them. They are flesh and blood and they live and die, same as any person. Just their timeframes are severely foreshortened.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Blade Runner 2 Adds Robin Wright in Flagrant Bid to Make Me Consider Seeing It   Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:41 pm

Incidentally, Deckard taking on Rachel knowing she will die soon is similar to the movie Arrival, where Amy Adams (I forget her character name) goes ahead with having a child, even knowing the future as she does and that her child will die from a rare disease. This idea, of choosing love and life even if it's for a short time, is a different perspective on life and love because we all die eventually.

If that were to prevent us from pursuing love in life it would be a sad life indeed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Blade Runner 2 Adds Robin Wright in Flagrant Bid to Make Me Consider Seeing It   Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:00 am

Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Blade Runner 2 Adds Robin Wright in Flagrant Bid to Make Me Consider Seeing It   Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:59 pm

The ads on TV look really good.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Blade Runner 2 Adds Robin Wright in Flagrant Bid to Make Me Consider Seeing It   Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:02 pm

Watched BR again in prep for 2049. The movie is a hot mess but I still love it.

Checking YouTube afterward -- now that YouTube is an app on Comcast Xfinity -- there are now four (FOUR!) trailers for BR 2049 online, as well as three 7-10 minute "mini-movies" to explain what happened during the 30 years between 2019 (original BR) and the new story. They take place in 2048, 2036 and I couldn't find the 3rd one. Very nicely done though.

There's also a couple of "making of" videos and some interviews with Ryan Gosling, Harrison Ford, Ridley Scott, Denis Villaneuve and others. They're keeping the plot very close to the vest, but the technical details looks fascinating.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
richard09

PostSubject: Re: Blade Runner 2 Adds Robin Wright in Flagrant Bid to Make Me Consider Seeing It   Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:55 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile
richard09

PostSubject: Re: Blade Runner 2 Adds Robin Wright in Flagrant Bid to Make Me Consider Seeing It   Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:58 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Blade Runner 2 Adds Robin Wright in Flagrant Bid to Make Me Consider Seeing It   Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:37 pm

richard09 wrote:
Blade Runner Black Out 2022
Why should I have to download an anime app to watch a Bladerunner prequel? Nonsensical.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Blade Runner 2 Adds Robin Wright in Flagrant Bid to Make Me Consider Seeing It   Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:56 pm

richard09 wrote:
It never occurred to me that Deckard might himself be a replicant. I thought the whole point was that he had started to think of replicants as people, and that you were supposed to wonder about what exactly the difference was between replicants and people. Apparently other people think differently.
One of the YouTube videos I watched last weekend when researching was an online video review program by a couple millennials who were very full of themselves (neither of them could have been alive in 1982, so ...). They took great delight in poking holes in the original Blade Runner plot, which as I’ve mentioned before is anything but airtight. But the one plot point they took greatest umbrage at was the idea that Deckard could be a replicant.

Geez, they said, Deckard had to be briefed by Bryant as to what a Nexus 6 was. He’d already quit the police force or retired from being a Blade Runner when he was called in again. How could he be this advanced Nexus model so long before the Nexus 6 was introduced?

What they failed to take into account —as I believe Richard does above — is the fact that Nexus 6 can be implanted with false memories.

Was Deckard really a retired Blade Runner? Or was he merely implanted with the memories of another Blade Runner who perhaps died?

“How can it not know what it is?” he asks about Rachel — but Deckard himself wouldn’t have known he was a Nexus 6. Did he have a four year life span? Did Rachel?

This line of inquiry leads to some very tricky and intriguing corollaries, and I don’t believe I’ve ever seen them discussed in public.

Obviously, since Deckard is still alive 30 years later his life span has either been extended, or wasn’t limited in the first place. We’ll have to wait to find out. But he does say in one of the clips that he was being hunted, so the replicant question is settled.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
richard09

PostSubject: Re: Blade Runner 2 Adds Robin Wright in Flagrant Bid to Make Me Consider Seeing It   Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:07 pm

NoCoPilot wrote:
But he does say in one of the clips that he was being hunted, so the replicant question is settled.

Harrison Ford Says That ‘Blade Runner’ Mystery Still Isn’t Resolved
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Blade Runner 2 Adds Robin Wright in Flagrant Bid to Make Me Consider Seeing It   Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:43 pm

Huh, interesting. I guess we’ll find out in about a week.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
_Howard
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Blade Runner 2 Adds Robin Wright in Flagrant Bid to Make Me Consider Seeing It   Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:10 pm

It will be a while before I see the movie, so please don't post any spoilers.

As for Deckard being an android, I really don't know. The question arose after the director's cut was released (to the best of my failing memory). There were a few small, easily-overlooked additions that gave rise to the question.

Maybe I'll go back and read Dick's novel yet again. Maybe there's a hint in there that I have missed. Hell, I don't even remember if Deckard was a character in the novel.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
_Howard
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Blade Runner 2 Adds Robin Wright in Flagrant Bid to Make Me Consider Seeing It   Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:34 pm

Took a quick glance and Deckard is the main character in the novel. Damn but my memory is getting...oh, what's the word...oh yeah - Shitty!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Blade Runner 2 Adds Robin Wright in Flagrant Bid to Make Me Consider Seeing It   Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:48 pm

_Howard wrote:
As for Deckard being an android, I really don't know.  There were a few small, easily-overlooked additions that gave rise to the question.
There was ONE clue added.  When Deckard is sleeping at the piano, after being beat up and almost killed by Leon, he has a brief dream of a unicorn running through the woods.

This scene was lifted straight out of a totally different Ridley Scott film.  It was never filmed for “Blade Runner” — although Scott indicates it was part of the original script.

Why this is a clue, is that at the end of the movie Deckard trips over an origami unicorn left for him outside his apartment by Gaff.  The only way Gaff could have known unicorns were important to Deckard is if the unicorns were an implanted memory and Gaff knew it.  Otherwise of course, without the dream, the origami figure makes no sense in the movie.

And it is POSSIBLE (I actually realized this for the first time on my recent viewing) that the origami figurine causes Deckard to realize for the first time, at that moment, that he must be a replicant with implanted memories.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Blade Runner 2 Adds Robin Wright in Flagrant Bid to Make Me Consider Seeing It   

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next