HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

11 Authors Who Hated the Movie Versions of Their Books

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
richard09

richard09

11 Authors Who Hated the Movie Versions of Their Books Empty
PostSubject: 11 Authors Who Hated the Movie Versions of Their Books   11 Authors Who Hated the Movie Versions of Their Books EmptyTue Mar 01, 2016 8:46 pm

I was a little surprised by some of the entries on this list, but I'm sure that actually most authors are displeased with movie versions. I know Alistair Maclean hated most of the movies from his books (there were numerous ones: The Guns Of Navarone, Ice Station Zebra, Where Eagles Dare, When Eight Bells Toll, Fear Is The Key, The Satan Bug, Breakheart Pass, and at least 2 or 3 more), so I was surprised he didn't get on the list.

Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: 11 Authors Who Hated the Movie Versions of Their Books   11 Authors Who Hated the Movie Versions of Their Books EmptyWed Mar 02, 2016 11:00 am

One quote from the article illustrates what I think is one of Hollywood's biggest failings. I wouldn't blame an author who had a problem with this:
Quote :
The most recent adaptation, by the way, completely changed Matheson’s ending because it didn’t test well with audiences.

I wonder if some of these authors have never seen a movie. Do they really expect their books to be honestly replicated? Hardly ever happens. It's probably mush worse today, since Hollywood has replaced story line and acting with special effects.
Back to top Go down
richard09

richard09

PostSubject: Re: 11 Authors Who Hated the Movie Versions of Their Books   11 Authors Who Hated the Movie Versions of Their Books EmptyWed Mar 02, 2016 12:46 pm

The different medium demands some changes, for sure. But there are changes, and then there are changes. Peter Jackson's Lord Of The Rings trilogy illustrates it well. The Fellowship Of The Ring, the first movie, has some noticeable changes from the book: some characters and episodes are omitted, things are rearranged to suit the flow of the film. But the main characters and action pieces are consistent with the book, and the overall spirit and flavor of the book are retained, and the result is a masterpiece. I can't imagine how anyone could ever do that movie any better. But then the second movie, The Two Towers, is a crashing contrast. Many changes are made: the nature of some of the characters is changed, action episodes that occur in the book are omitted while new ones are inserted that further subvert the characterizations. The whole thing emerges as a train wreck that completely misses the mark in terms of "adaptation".
Back to top Go down
Jenni
Admin
Jenni

PostSubject: Re: 11 Authors Who Hated the Movie Versions of Their Books   11 Authors Who Hated the Movie Versions of Their Books EmptyWed Mar 02, 2016 9:13 pm

Number 3 doesn't shock me. I didn't like the idea and I bet she was just being kind because it really wasn't his fault someone casted him poorly. He did the best he could, bless his short nutball little heart. lol

Movies rarely translate well back and forth across media. Games don't make great movies. The nature of film requires that visuals be an intricate part of the story. Plays seem to translate well but not books.
Back to top Go down
https://unintelligibledebate.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 11 Authors Who Hated the Movie Versions of Their Books   11 Authors Who Hated the Movie Versions of Their Books Empty

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1