HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Kind of a major design flaw, don't you think?

Go down 
2 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

Kind of a major design flaw, don't you think? Empty
PostSubject: Kind of a major design flaw, don't you think?   Kind of a major design flaw, don't you think? EmptyThu Feb 25, 2016 9:08 pm

To make a long story short, I had to rent a camera today to do an interview for a film. The camera is extremely easy to use, and well laid out. Shooting and playing back video is a snap.

However.

I need to send the interview to a producer in New York. The camera shoots to an SD memory card. Everything I have read online about the camera, and my own experience trying this out, says that SD memory card (64GB) is formatted in some kind of special "exFAT32" format which is not readable by Apple computers. The guy at Best Buy was able to read it just fine in his Windows laptop.

There's a proprietary cable I could theoretically buy that would allow me to PLAY the video while recording it into my iMac, but no way to simply click & drag the file.

Since Apples are used industry-wide for editing video, wouldn't you think they'd make the hardware compatible? WTF?
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: Kind of a major design flaw, don't you think?   Kind of a major design flaw, don't you think? EmptyFri Feb 26, 2016 8:02 am

exFAT is fairly new, but not special. It will support files sizes over 4 GBytes.

Articles I have read   state that exFAT is compatible with Apples.

Most flash drives come from the factory formatted FAT32. I picked up a couple of 64 GByte flash drives recently and was surprised to see that they were still FAT32. I always format new memory devices and found XP and WIN 7 didn't offer the option to format these flash drives with FAT32 - only with exFAT or with NTFS (which is read-only for Apples, or so I have read). Fortunately, there are utility programs do do the job.

I don't know what your problem is.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Kind of a major design flaw, don't you think?   Kind of a major design flaw, don't you think? EmptyFri Feb 26, 2016 8:16 am

Obviously I don't know what my problem is either. But I think I'm figuring it out....

My card reader also won't read the 16GB card that came with the camera, so it's not a problem with the exFAT.

I started to think... where else do I have an SD card? My Sony SLR? Nope, that's a Memory Stick. Same with my SD-quality VCR.

Wait, my Blu-ray player uses an SD card for storing local content! Yes! And THAT card is recognized and read by my card reader.

So, it's something proprietary in the formatting of this camera. I think I need a different camera.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Kind of a major design flaw, don't you think?   Kind of a major design flaw, don't you think? EmptyFri Feb 26, 2016 8:29 am

Holy crap.

I called the camera rental store and was informed there's a USB cable permanently ATTACHED to the camera -- it's part of the handle, so I hadn't noticed it. Plug this into the computer and voila, files ready to download.

I feel so stupid.
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: Kind of a major design flaw, don't you think?   Kind of a major design flaw, don't you think? EmptyFri Feb 26, 2016 8:31 am

We've all done something similar.

I was going nuts trying to find out why the new computer wouldn't communicate with the UPS. I know the driver is an old one for 32-bit systems, so I tried various fixes. Then I realized I had forgotten to plug the UPS's USB cord into the computer. DUH!

It's still strange that you can't read the SD card.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Kind of a major design flaw, don't you think?   Kind of a major design flaw, don't you think? EmptyFri Feb 26, 2016 8:40 am

Some kind of proprietary formatting I'm guessing. Sony is kinda known for doing shit like that.
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: Kind of a major design flaw, don't you think?   Kind of a major design flaw, don't you think? EmptyFri Feb 26, 2016 8:55 am

Quote :
The guy at Best Buy was able to read it just fine in his Windows laptop.

That kind of dispels the idea of it being a special format.

Can your computer see the SD card?
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: Kind of a major design flaw, don't you think?   Kind of a major design flaw, don't you think? EmptyFri Feb 26, 2016 9:29 am

Looked around for similar problems and found one where it was stated that (some) Sony cameras use internal memory first and then use additional card memory when the internal memory is full. If that is true, then the memory card may be formatted in such a way that it is logically seen as an extension of internal memory. Therefore, you would not be able to read it outside of the camera.

Just a possibility.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Kind of a major design flaw, don't you think?   Kind of a major design flaw, don't you think? EmptyFri Feb 26, 2016 9:32 am

Maybe something like that.

Yes the guy at Best Buy could read the card. No I cannot.

Stupid stupid Apple computer, bad computer.
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: Kind of a major design flaw, don't you think?   Kind of a major design flaw, don't you think? EmptyFri Feb 26, 2016 9:42 am

Did your computer see the card?
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Kind of a major design flaw, don't you think?   Kind of a major design flaw, don't you think? EmptyFri Feb 26, 2016 9:46 am

No -- says the card is not readable by this computer.

The card from my Blu-ray gives no such warning, in fact is seen as another drive on the desktop.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Kind of a major design flaw, don't you think?   Kind of a major design flaw, don't you think? EmptyFri Feb 26, 2016 9:50 am

_Howard wrote:
Looked around for similar problems and found one where it was stated that (some) Sony cameras use internal memory first and then use additional card memory when the internal memory is full.
That's the default condition but in setup you can choose the SD card first, which I did, figuring I'd want to take my files with me when I return the camera.

Looks like, as long as I offload the files before returning the camera, I could use either medium. I think I'll still use the card first though so I have a permanent record.
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: Kind of a major design flaw, don't you think?   Kind of a major design flaw, don't you think? EmptyFri Feb 26, 2016 10:28 am

Very odd. So the computer sees the card but says it cannot read it.

Do you have different slots on the computer for SDHC and SDXC? A 16-Gbyte card is SDHC. FAT32 is the standard format for SDHC, while exFAT is the standard for SDXC. Maybe there is a driver problem. Have you checked Apple to see if there is an update?

Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: Kind of a major design flaw, don't you think?   Kind of a major design flaw, don't you think? EmptyFri Feb 26, 2016 10:37 am

Unfortunately, NoCo, you're not alone on this. In looking at the Apple Support forum, I found this thread. Apparently, it's a long-standing problem.
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: Kind of a major design flaw, don't you think?   Kind of a major design flaw, don't you think? EmptyFri Feb 26, 2016 12:09 pm

Found another possibility. According to one Apple support thread, it appears that drives formatted exFAT must have 1024 KB cluster size for the iMac. For Windows, the cluster size can be bigger.

Just another thing to check. Will your computer give you format info about the card?
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Kind of a major design flaw, don't you think?   Kind of a major design flaw, don't you think? EmptyFri Feb 26, 2016 12:57 pm

The alternate method, of using the internal USB cable and some free software, appears to work.

I'm not going to worry about reading the card directly.*

Once I've made a couple copies of the video I'll be done with it.  The second copy is downloading now.

* - I liked the camera enough to consider buying one, to take with us to Hawaii next month. But Mrs. NoCo reminded me, "When do we EVER watch vacation videos?"
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: Kind of a major design flaw, don't you think?   Kind of a major design flaw, don't you think? EmptyFri Feb 26, 2016 1:36 pm

But you may need, or want, to use the card reader in the future. Wouldn't you like to know what the problem is for that eventuality?

Is it your card or does it belong to the camera store where you rented? If it's yours, you might try formatting it and see what happens.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Kind of a major design flaw, don't you think?   Kind of a major design flaw, don't you think? EmptyFri Feb 26, 2016 2:00 pm

Shucks, the video file is playable on my computer without any massaging whatsoever.

Dunno if the producer will be so lucky.

Yeah, I'm sure I can reformat the card and it'll be readable -- my other non-camera SD card is. Not sure I'm ready to reformat the master quite yet though... Smile
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: Kind of a major design flaw, don't you think?   Kind of a major design flaw, don't you think? EmptyFri Feb 26, 2016 2:49 pm

Good to hear that the video file is acceptable. (I know how that must disappoint you. Shocked)

I can't understand why that card would be formatted exFAT. Did you buy the card or did it come with the camera? There's no reason for it to have that format unless you plan on creating files larger than 4GB. What brand of card is it?
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Kind of a major design flaw, don't you think?   Kind of a major design flaw, don't you think? EmptyFri Feb 26, 2016 2:51 pm

It's a 64GB Lexar card I bought, just because it was on sale and I wanted plenty of space.
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: Kind of a major design flaw, don't you think?   Kind of a major design flaw, don't you think? EmptyFri Feb 26, 2016 3:00 pm

Oops. When I read your first post, I read 16GB for the card size.
Yes, a 64GB card may come with exFAT. And if it wasn't expressly for an Apple, it would have an allocation size larger than 1024. There is your problem, I think. Nothing wrong with the computer, other than its lack of support for this specific instance. No biggie.

I don't use exFAT or NTFS on cards and flash drives. I always use FAT32 with a 4K cluster size. Works on everything.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Kind of a major design flaw, don't you think?   Kind of a major design flaw, don't you think? EmptyFri Feb 26, 2016 3:05 pm

It turned out to be a non-issue anyway.

I was able to offload the video file, and am uploading it to DropBox as we speak. Taking a LONG time (2+ hours) but it is 29:20 of HD video.
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: Kind of a major design flaw, don't you think?   Kind of a major design flaw, don't you think? EmptyFri Feb 26, 2016 3:09 pm

How big is the file? Should be much less than 4 gig.

Not a non issue. You learned something about the computer's requirements. Learning is never a non issue.

I'm sitting here learning a lot about the lousy backup program Windows 7 has. When the used the backup from the company I worked for, it was much better.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Kind of a major design flaw, don't you think?   Kind of a major design flaw, don't you think? EmptyFri Feb 26, 2016 3:13 pm

The original file, as it came from the camera, was 5.04GB.  I converted it to an H.264 .MOV which is 2.36GB. The original file, a .MTS, is "suitable for burning directly to a Blu-ray" it says.
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: Kind of a major design flaw, don't you think?   Kind of a major design flaw, don't you think? EmptyFri Feb 26, 2016 3:18 pm

5.04 GB? Big file for 29 minutes. I guess HD does take a few more bytes than 720p.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kind of a major design flaw, don't you think?   Kind of a major design flaw, don't you think? Empty

Back to top Go down

Kind of a major design flaw, don't you think?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next