ARRRGGGHH!!

Go down 
3 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

ARRRGGGHH!! - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: ARRRGGGHH!!   ARRRGGGHH!! - Page 4 EmptyThu Mar 10, 2016 5:41 pm

_Howard wrote:
Chrome is a Google product, not Microsoft. I doubt that Chrome could be worse than Safari or IE.
Huh, guess you're right. For some reason I'd been thinking it was Microflaccid.

I wish Firefox was approved for IOS.
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: ARRRGGGHH!!   ARRRGGGHH!! - Page 4 EmptyThu Mar 10, 2016 6:20 pm

Firefox has a mac version.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: ARRRGGGHH!!   ARRRGGGHH!! - Page 4 EmptyThu Mar 10, 2016 6:25 pm

_Howard wrote:
Firefox has a mac version.
I use it exclusively.

But it's not on iOS.
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: ARRRGGGHH!!   ARRRGGGHH!! - Page 4 EmptyFri Mar 11, 2016 8:35 am

Oh, yeah, iOS. Nope, no Firefox for phones.

Well, Win 10 is working fine with everything except for the printer status display. The printer works fine, but no status, meaning there's no low ink warning. Gotta try and fix that.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: ARRRGGGHH!!   ARRRGGGHH!! - Page 4 EmptyFri Mar 11, 2016 9:38 am

Remember when Microsoft was going to brand Windows with the year, so everyone would feel compelled to upgrade to stay current? Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows 2000. Whatever happened to that, I thought it was pretty clever marketing.
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: ARRRGGGHH!!   ARRRGGGHH!! - Page 4 EmptyFri Mar 11, 2016 9:41 am

What about the first version of Windows I had - Windows 1.0? I guess that was before their short-term naming scheme.

I certainly remember Windows 95, except it was called Chicago when we were working on it before its release.

I've lost the damned internet connection four times this morning. We have a lot of wind with the rain. I hope I'm not going to lose electricity. Happens a lot around here.
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: ARRRGGGHH!!   ARRRGGGHH!! - Page 4 EmptyFri Mar 11, 2016 2:13 pm

Well I got the printer status working. Just in time, as I am very nearly out of yellow ink.

There are a few programs I have only tested briefly but all seem to be working, even some that have been declared incompatible with Windows 10.

Made a couple of changes so that it's not quite as ugly. God damn Microsoft has turned this thing into ... well, I don't know what to call it. They even have a button for quick access to the Windows "app store." Wonder where they got that idea.

I still l have 29 days to roll back to Win 7. No hurry.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: ARRRGGGHH!!   ARRRGGGHH!! - Page 4 EmptyFri Mar 11, 2016 2:22 pm

_Howard wrote:
They even have a button for quick access to the Windows "app store." Wonder where they got that idea.
The whole "look & feel" of Windows has been moving wholesale into Apple territory for a few years, including in-app purchases. Like you say, the design has migrated to computer neophyte.

Too bad there's not a Professional Edition -- or is there?
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: ARRRGGGHH!!   ARRRGGGHH!! - Page 4 EmptyFri Mar 11, 2016 2:40 pm

I haven't run across any in-app purchases (yet).

They do have professional versions. I had XP Professional on the old box. The new box came with Windows 7 Professional and the upgrade was to Windows 10 Professional.

Typically, the Professional version costs about a hundred bucks more than the home version. On the face of it, there's no difference, but the pro versions allow you to do things the home versions don't allow. If you don't know what you're doing you can really fuck up a computer with the pro version.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: ARRRGGGHH!!   ARRRGGGHH!! - Page 4 EmptyFri Mar 11, 2016 2:44 pm

Does the Pro version come with Clippy?
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: ARRRGGGHH!!   ARRRGGGHH!! - Page 4 EmptyFri Mar 11, 2016 2:49 pm

What is clippy?
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: ARRRGGGHH!!   ARRRGGGHH!! - Page 4 EmptyFri Mar 11, 2016 2:52 pm

Google it. Or "Microsoft Bob."
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: ARRRGGGHH!!   ARRRGGGHH!! - Page 4 EmptyFri Mar 11, 2016 3:04 pm

No, neither of those. (By the way, as I have mentioned my internet is incredibly slow, so "Google it" is not an answer I can always comply with.)

There is something called Cortana (I think I spelled that correctly). It's supposed to be some kind of pseudo-Siri. I think. I disabled it during installation and will never give it another thought.

Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: ARRRGGGHH!!   ARRRGGGHH!! - Page 4 EmptyFri Mar 11, 2016 3:14 pm

Huh, Apple has Siri, Amazon has Alexa and Microsoft has Cortana. I wonder, if you could get all three talking to each other, what would the conversation be? Would it be like SimOne or Samantha?
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: ARRRGGGHH!!   ARRRGGGHH!! - Page 4 EmptyFri Mar 11, 2016 3:21 pm

Maybe like Steve Jobs, Bill Gates, and Gary Kildall.

But probably more like Carly Fiorina, Ben Carson, and Donald Trump.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: ARRRGGGHH!!   ARRRGGGHH!! - Page 4 EmptyFri Mar 11, 2016 3:37 pm

Ewwww.
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: ARRRGGGHH!!   ARRRGGGHH!! - Page 4 EmptyFri Mar 11, 2016 3:49 pm

Found a program that was not working. VLC Media Player, one of the most dependable programs ever. It worked fine except for not displaying the video. This one was tough. Took me nearly five minutes to get it working. Cool
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: ARRRGGGHH!!   ARRRGGGHH!! - Page 4 EmptyWed Mar 16, 2016 5:07 pm

Windows 10 is huge, stinking pile of shit.

I have reverted to Windows 7. Hope everything still works. If not, it should easy to fix.

They are going to have to do a lot of god damned work to Win 10 before I try it again.
Windows 7 is going to be supported for one more year. Maybe by then the asshats on Redmond will get a fucking clue. But I really doubt that will happen.

Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: ARRRGGGHH!!   ARRRGGGHH!! - Page 4 EmptyWed Mar 16, 2016 5:09 pm

What, specifically, changed your mind?
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: ARRRGGGHH!!   ARRRGGGHH!! - Page 4 EmptyWed Mar 16, 2016 5:44 pm

It was ugly. But I could have lived with that.

It was slow. It was slower than my old XP machine. I'm not going to spend the money to buy a machine that is capable of blinding speed and get a negative improvement.
Some programs (that were added by me, not by MS) were unbearably slow. The program that I use to watch tv shows and movies that I have downloaded takes about ten seconds from click to watch. The built-in MS program loads instantly, but is a piece of crap. In Windows 7 (as well as in XP), click to view is almost instantaneous with my preferred program.

The prompts and labels use the word "Apps" rather than the word "programs." Fuck that!

I don't need a huge icon to access the MS "store" to buy shit.

Did I mention that it was ugly?

What Microsoft needs is a great big building full of competent engineers, architects and programmers. People who understand how to get performance from their code. This doesn't seem to be of any value to today's engineers and programmers. With fast processors and cheap RAM, they all use very high level languages (and that's all they know) so that they can produce massive programs with little effort (or knowledge of what a processor actually does). So you wind up with a software system that requires all the speed and memory of modern computers just to deliver the performance that well-written programs produced on a computer fifteen years ago.

Windows 10 is the great leap from computer to toy.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: ARRRGGGHH!!   ARRRGGGHH!! - Page 4 EmptyWed Mar 16, 2016 5:56 pm

Yeah I agree totally. Programmers have become dependent on ultrafast architectures and so write bloated inefficient inelegant programs.

Apple too.

Somebody needs to create a hardware/software platform that DOESNT try to do everything, but is fast and cheap and powerful and inexpensive. Don't tell me it can't be done.
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: ARRRGGGHH!!   ARRRGGGHH!! - Page 4 EmptyWed Mar 16, 2016 6:09 pm

It looks as though they are going in the other direction, permanently.

Quote :
Going forward, new hardware generations will require the latest version of Windows. “As new silicon generations are introduced, they will require the latest Windows platform at that time for support,” Microsoft says. “This enables us to focus on deep integration between Windows and the silicon, while maintaining maximum reliability and compatibility with previous generations of platform and silicon. For example, Windows 10 will be the only supported Windows platform on Intel’s upcoming “Kaby Lake” silicon, Qualcomm’s upcoming “8996” silicon, and AMD’s upcoming “Bristol Ridge” silicon.

This is disgusting and sad, but not surprising. I've mentioned before, that when computers became a commodity, their future was defined - downward.

I remember (yeah, here it comes - the old days) when programmers working on different components of firmware would get into arguments about who got which bits - yes, BITS - of memory for their processes. We actually counted clock cycles when writing code. We wrote real-time operating systems for devices that would self destruct if the code took too long to execute. I mean they would actually burn up. I don't think there are more than about six software engineers working today who can relate to that.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: ARRRGGGHH!!   ARRRGGGHH!! - Page 4 EmptyWed Mar 16, 2016 6:38 pm

You old.

Back when silicon was an element.
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: ARRRGGGHH!!   ARRRGGGHH!! - Page 4 EmptyThu Mar 17, 2016 12:02 pm

The reversion to Windows 7 was very nearly perfect. There was a DLL missing from a program I had installed, but I think that I updated the program while in Win 10. Took about a minute to fix. The clock was an hour ahead. I wound up feeding the cat early before I noticed it.

Other than that, everything seems okay. Give MS one attaboy for that.

I removed the nags insisting that I upgrade to Windows 10. The tricky part is that the nag is delivered as an update to Windows 7. Within a couple of minutes, it tried to install it again. I put a stop to that and made a revision that should prevent it from happening again. Note to self: rescind the attaboy.

Back to top Go down
richard09

richard09

PostSubject: Re: ARRRGGGHH!!   ARRRGGGHH!! - Page 4 EmptyWed Mar 30, 2016 1:22 pm

I have found that since I went to Windows 10, I'm having trouble rebooting my notebook. The restart (soft boot) just doesn't seem to work, most of the time - it gets hung up somewhere in the middle of the process. I can force the machine to power off and do a hard boot, so it doesn't prevent me from doing stuff, but it is annoying.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ARRRGGGHH!!   ARRRGGGHH!! - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

ARRRGGGHH!!
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Topics :: Science & Tech-
Jump to: