HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Why I Despise The Great Gatsby

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
richard09

richard09

Why I Despise The Great Gatsby Empty
PostSubject: Why I Despise The Great Gatsby   Why I Despise The Great Gatsby EmptyTue May 07, 2013 8:51 am

Doesn't pull many punches.

Schulz: Why I Despise The Great Gatsby
Quote :
I find Gatsby aesthetically overrated, psychologically vacant, and morally complacent; I think we kid ourselves about the lessons it contains. None of this would matter much to me if Gatsby were not also sacrosanct. Books being borderline irrelevant in America, one is generally free to dislike them—but not this book. So since we find ourselves, as we cyclically do here, in the middle of another massive Gatsby ­recrudescence, allow me to file a minority report.
Back to top Go down
Jenni
Admin
Jenni

PostSubject: Re: Why I Despise The Great Gatsby   Why I Despise The Great Gatsby EmptyWed May 08, 2013 11:49 am

I happen to agree with the reviewer. I never liked Gatsby and sort of pissed off the English professor who assigned it when I called it empty and fake. I just didn't like it, I think it's too preachy as well, as though it was written strictly to convey the moral message.
Back to top Go down
https://unintelligibledebate.forumotion.com
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: Why I Despise The Great Gatsby   Why I Despise The Great Gatsby EmptyWed May 08, 2013 1:09 pm

I've never understood the reverence given to this novel. It's been more than fifty years since I read it, and the best I can recall of my thoughts after reading it was, "Ho hum." Were this book written today, I think it would be a major flop (even the basic-cable movie that would no doubt be made from it).
Back to top Go down
Jenni
Admin
Jenni

PostSubject: Re: Why I Despise The Great Gatsby   Why I Despise The Great Gatsby EmptyWed May 08, 2013 1:23 pm

_Howard wrote:
I've never understood the reverence given to this novel. It's been more than fifty years since I read it, and the best I can recall of my thoughts after reading it was, "Ho hum." Were this book written today, I think it would be a major flop (even the basic-cable movie that would no doubt be made from it).
It was a bit of a flop when it was written. I think people were smarter back then. The article mentioned the army distributing it, but I think schools had a part in this too. They pick some of the suckiest books to be "classics" and leave some of the best to be ignored.
Back to top Go down
https://unintelligibledebate.forumotion.com
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: Why I Despise The Great Gatsby   Why I Despise The Great Gatsby EmptyWed May 08, 2013 1:53 pm

I don't know if people were smarter back then; there were just fewer critics.

Shortly after reading Gatsby, I read To Kill a Mockingbird, which had just come out. I think Mockingbird is a far superior piece of literature. I do recall that I enjoyed it a hell of a lot more than I did Gatsby.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why I Despise The Great Gatsby   Why I Despise The Great Gatsby Empty

Back to top Go down

Why I Despise The Great Gatsby
Page 1 of 1