HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

3-D Immersive Environments

Go down 
AuthorMessage
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: 3-D Immersive Environments   Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:02 am

My dentist has an old 3-D goggle set for watching movies during dental surgery. I was thinking about this, this morning, as I lay awake after going to bed too early last night. I thought it might be nice to watch a movie, on headphones and goggles, so I wouldn't disturb anyone else.

Then, as these things do, my mind went a step further. A 3-D movie. No wait, 3-D immersive environment.

Put on headphones and goggles, and connect to a computer with software. The goggles have a motion sensor in them, like iPhones do, so if you look up or down, left or right, the image shifts appropriately. Both sound and picture track your head movement.

But wait, this is an environment you can walk through. By pressing a little icon you can move forward, exploring a virtual environment.

You're in the Brazilian rainforest, all around you are 600-foot trees and the sounds of howler monkeys and birds of paradise. A little stream is full of iridescent fish.

Or at a carnival, with rides, and people, and a haunted house. A man will guess your weight, another will tell your fortune.

Or The Loeuvre, with dozens of wings to explore, each filled to the brim with famous artwork. Each artwork brings up a history of the work and its creator.

A library, where any book you pull out can be read, any album you grab can be played, any periodical read. A card catalog guides you to the entire history of human culture.

Some day maybe.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: 3-D Immersive Environments   Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:04 am

Couldn't sleep this morning, came down to my music room and used my iPad to play YouTube videos over my stereo. There are lots of 1, 2, 3 even 8-hour videos (loops) of natural sounds, like a vast sea of cicadas in the night with a distant dog barking. Very relaxing at low volume.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
_Howard
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 3-D Immersive Environments   Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:39 pm

We get the same thing here by just opening a window at night. There are crickets rather than cicadas and coyotes instead of dogs. And we have owls sometimes. Of course we can't control the volume and there's always the possibility of the occasional ill-mannered skunk.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: 3-D Immersive Environments   Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:25 pm

My "ill-mannered skunks" are a couple of puppyboys who like to chew themselves, and each other, and pass gas. It's so cute!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: 3-D Immersive Environments   Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:44 pm

I was a big fan of the Environments albums with 22 half-hour nature recordings on eleven LPs. The guy behind them, Irv Teibel, was a real piece of work and could never get his shit together to get them re-released in the CD age. And then he died.

So I CD-Red mine and padded them out (looped, with smoothing) to fill an 80-minute disc. I like putting them on for reading or doing other stuff. They're less intrusive than, and a nice alternative to, playing music.

I wrote the Wikipedia article on them several years ago. Every now and then I check back in to see if anybody's made changes or updates to the page.

Today I discovered, via an update to the page, that earlier this month somebody actually got permission / paid licenses to create a iPhone / iPad app that plays the original recordings, in stereo, loopable. Big pictures from the original album covers, and a couple nice articles on Irv. Boffo job!

Pretty sweet to be able to play these from anywhere, without needing a CD player.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 3-D Immersive Environments   

Back to top Go down

3-D Immersive Environments
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Topics :: Science & Tech-
Jump to: