HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Record Database

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Record Database   Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:51 am

NoCoPilot wrote:
I have not, and probably won't, list my parents' 78s which go back 100 years
Just for grins I looked up the online value on some of the approximately sixty 78s and 10" LPs in the collection -- some of them are listed as "for sale" for crazy money ($50 in one case) but none have any "recent sales."  Therefore I have to assume nobody is buying -- unless there's a very specific market somewhere which I wouldn't know how to tap into.  

I think I'll GIVE all of these to the record store (if they'll take them).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
_Howard
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Record Database   Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:37 pm

NoCoPilot wrote:
I convinced my German friend to take only 112 records off the top -- stuff I think he might actually be interested in.  For those he's giving me $1200.

If your German friend by any chance a pool player? I have about a dozen custom cues I'm thinking of selling.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Record Database   Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:26 pm

Are they limited-edition, private label, innovative design pool cues?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
_Howard
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Record Database   Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:50 pm

They are all one of a kind.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Record Database   Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:52 pm

They're just sticks of wood, don't kid yourself.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
_Howard
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Record Database   Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:31 am

Is that your informed opinion, or just a snarky remark?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Record Database   Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:30 am

Are you seriously asking?Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
_Howard
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Record Database   Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:25 am

I'm not sure. Take a look here and here  and tell me if you think these are "just sticks."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Record Database   Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:39 pm

They're beautiful.  I planned to post some pictures of similar beautiful woodwork, but the ability to link to online pictures is all screwed up right now.  You get the idea anyhow -- gorgeous craftsmanship.

Incidentally, the record store guys left my house about an hour ago, with 40 boxes of LPs in a bigass truck  They took everything.  Nice guys.  We chatted about Seattle record store history the whole time they were evaluating and packing up.  Turns out the guy who set this up is actually the OWNER of the chain of stores, not just a buyer.  

I didn't get quite as much as I'd hoped, but close -- and included some store credit, which is good for them and good for me.  It was nice to get rid of everything in one fell swoop.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
_Howard
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Record Database   Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:23 pm

A lot of web sites will not allow hot links to pictures. That's why I posted links to the pages.

Yes, those cues certainly are beautiful (at least I think so, which is one reason that I bought all three of those). Cue makers are faced with the additional problem of making the cues work properly, as well as look good.

Shortly after making that post, I found out that a man who made a couple of my cues (not the ones linked to) had died from lung disease contracted from making cues. I knew that he had been spending a hell of a lot of time in the hospital the last couple of years, but it finally got him. The doctors were never sure what caused the lung problems. It could have been chemicals he used or some of the wood he worked with. The two cues of his that I have both contain cocobolo, which is quite toxic when aerated. There are other woods that are even worse than cocobolo and most cue makers refuse to work with them. Some won't work with cocobolo. Strange to think about wood being toxic.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Record Database   Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:15 pm

Gives a whole new meaning to the phrase "cancer sticks."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Record Database   Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:19 pm

I used to have all my LPs cataloged in a DOS database, back when Jim Norton ruled Windows programs.  However when I went Apple 15 years ago I couldn't find a comparable database product for Mac.

I got several years down the road, with no way to import my previous database and no desire to spend the time to update it anyway.  

And now all the vinyl is gone.

But I've rolled the idea around in my mind, now that I'm retired, that I'd like to catalog all the CDs I own, even if it takes a couple years.  I've had a Dutch program called "Music Collector" for a few years, but up until recently it wasn't flexible enough / customizable enough for my purposes.  I see the latest version is much better in that regard.  I have entered 170 albums into it, and it might even be worthwhile.  We'll see how motivated I get to add another 4000 or so. Shocked
Back to top Go down
View user profile
_Howard
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Record Database   Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:25 pm

Good luck with your database, but I have to tell you that Norton never "ruled Windows programs." Norton - whose first name is Peter - wrote a few small utilities for DOS. Anything else with the Norton name on it has nothing to do with Peter Norton; his name was used by the company that bought the rights to use it. I believe it was Symantec, a company I loathe.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
_Howard
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Record Database   Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:36 pm

NoCoPilot wrote:
...no way to import my previous database and no desire to spend the time to update it anyway

The chances are that your DOS database program was dBase, which produced a .dbf file. If you have a friend with a Windows computer, he can convert the file to csv using this free program. Then you can use whatever program you are using to read and convert the csv file. Most database and spreadsheet programs can handle csv files.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Record Database   Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:34 pm

I am familiar with comma-separated-values importing, used it many times. The problem is, the columns I had set up in Pro-File (which I thought was distributed by Peter Norton; maybe not) were in no way comparable to any database I could find available. Professional File was literally a "build your own" affair where you gave the fields names, lengths, formats, masks, decimal points, sortability, printability, key field status and several other parameters, making it both incredibly powerful and incredibly time-consuming to set up a new DB.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Record Database   Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:04 pm

_Howard wrote:
Good luck with your database
Woof. After a couple of hours of playing with it (again) I've reached the same conclusion that caused me to abandon last time -- this is a rabbit hole down which one dares not poke his head. With only 187 items in the database I'm finding SO MANY fiddly bits that can be fiddled with -- lists of musicians and what they play, country of origin, recording date, SPARS code, label, catalog number, format, track list (with composers and length)... It's a bottomless pit. NONE of this stuff, with the possible exception of track list, is pre-populated when you use the online search.

A person could spend a lifetime building this database. And for what?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Record Database   

Back to top Go down

Record Database
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2