HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The End of Conservatism

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

The End of Conservatism Empty
PostSubject: The End of Conservatism   The End of Conservatism EmptyThu Oct 22, 2015 5:13 am

Which Republican candidate spelled the end of Conservatism as a viable intellectual philosophy?

I thought perhaps it was Reagan, when Conservatism was replaced by a cynical self-serving desire to eliminate taxation on the rich and remove all social safety nets for the poor.

But look at 1976, Gerald Ford.  He inherited the position, and lost to Carter largely over the voters' anger over Viet Nam.  Certainly Ford was no intellectual giant, and had no Conservative principals guiding him.  He was clueless, more than malicious I think.

Nixon possibly did.

Barry Goldwater certainly did.

So was it Ford?

Conservatism used to come from the same root as conservation -- protecting stability, avoiding draining entanglements, making the country strong through reasoned stewardship, creating economic strength.  Eisenhower could warn in 1959 of the dangers of "the military-industrial complex" and it fit perfectly with the conservative mindset.  Today's Republican Party is the opposite, embracing the military-industrial complex and racing to destabilize the economy through self-serving giveaways.

Nixon won a landslide in 1972, with 60% of the popular vote and almost all of the electoral vote. This despite huge personal unpopularity.

When he burned the White House down, it was Nixon's cabinet which became the cabal that put Reagan in power.

So was it Nixon?
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: The End of Conservatism   The End of Conservatism EmptyFri Oct 23, 2015 3:52 pm

I'm not in agreement with you that conservatism was ever a "viable intellectual philosophy."

I think the last major candidate that could accurately be described as a conservative was Barry Goldwater. And he lost the election in part because he was a conservative. In those days, that was about the worst thing a politician could be called in this country.

Conservatism comes in many differing types, none of which are readily apparent in today's Republican party. What we have instead is right-wing radicalism coupled with insane reactionary imaginings.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: The End of Conservatism   The End of Conservatism EmptyFri Oct 23, 2015 4:10 pm

Goldwater was a reactionary rabidly-anti-Communist demagogue.

I'd say the last valid Conservative (and yes, there was once such a thing) was probably Ike.
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: The End of Conservatism   The End of Conservatism EmptyFri Oct 23, 2015 5:08 pm

NoCoPilot wrote:
Goldwater was a reactionary rabidly-anti-Communist demagogue.
Exactly. A Republican.
During the campaign, one of the most harmful appellations thrown at him was that he was a conservative.  I missed the end of the campaign, as my squadron was sent on an extended vacation the month of the election. I couldn't have voted anyway; I was only twenty.

NoCoPilot wrote:
I'd say the last valid Conservative (and yes, there was once such a thing) was probably Ike.
Ike wasn't energetic enough to be a conservative. There was a joke going around when he was in office (yes, I remember that far back):
"Have you seen the new Eisenhower doll? You wind it up and it sits on its ass for eight years."

Actually, Ike gave us the interstate highway system. Not bad for a conservative.

Every damn thing that conservatives (valid or otherwise) hold dear are detrimental to the well being of the country (and often dangerous to the rest of the world). Whether it's social conservatism, religious conservatism, fiscal conservatism, or any of the other sub-categories, they are all products of poorly-functioning minds.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: The End of Conservatism   The End of Conservatism EmptyFri Oct 23, 2015 5:19 pm

What did you think of William F. Buckley?
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: The End of Conservatism   The End of Conservatism EmptyFri Oct 23, 2015 5:24 pm

I didn't think of William F. Buckley. He was a rabid fool.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The End of Conservatism   The End of Conservatism Empty

Back to top Go down

The End of Conservatism
Page 1 of 1