HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 
 

 Rants Go Here!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
NoCoPilot

avatar

Posts : 11038
Join date : 2013-01-16
Age : 63
Location : Seattle

PostSubject: Re: Rants Go Here!   Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:32 am

Here's a rant against Apple.

Specifically file organization -- one of the music files on the compilation I'm working on needed some minor editing, I found what I thought was the file (the path was about a hundred characters long...) and edited it. Played back the edited file in iTunes and my changes weren't on it. Deleted and re-added to the playlist. Same. Did a search on my hard drive of all songs with this title. This is the only one. So where the bloody fuck is it???? What happened to my changes?

Damn Apple piece of steaming dragon poo.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
_Howard
Admin
avatar

Posts : 7275
Join date : 2013-01-16
Age : 73
Location : California

PostSubject: Re: Rants Go Here!   Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:32 am

Can't you tell your programs where to put files? When you ripped the song, weren't you given an option of where it was to be written?

http://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac/how-find-lost-mac-os-x-files-3613260/
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

avatar

Posts : 11038
Join date : 2013-01-16
Age : 63
Location : Seattle

PostSubject: Re: Rants Go Here!   Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:57 am

I suppose I could -- at one point I was determined to make sense of the file organization system -- but there are 14,984 songs on there now, scattered in at least a half dozen locations -- who has that kind of time?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
_Howard
Admin
avatar

Posts : 7275
Join date : 2013-01-16
Age : 73
Location : California

PostSubject: Re: Rants Go Here!   Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:00 pm

From all appearances, you do.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
_Howard
Admin
avatar

Posts : 7275
Join date : 2013-01-16
Age : 73
Location : California

PostSubject: Re: Rants Go Here!   Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:27 pm

About ten years ago, I wrote a program - sorry, it only worked on Windows - that could track all the actions on all your files (or those sets of files you chose to track). The user program could quickly show you the location of any file and its complete history.




Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

avatar

Posts : 11038
Join date : 2013-01-16
Age : 63
Location : Seattle

PostSubject: Re: Rants Go Here!   Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:38 pm

"Find" works.

Usually.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

avatar

Posts : 11038
Join date : 2013-01-16
Age : 63
Location : Seattle

PostSubject: Re: Rants Go Here!   Sat Dec 19, 2015 1:07 pm

Rant: Sloppy engineering.

The reason I had to edit a file for the CD-R I'm making (and I finally found it!) is that the original CD I dubbed it from had track markers in the wrong place. The beginning 1/2 second of the next track appeared at the end of the track I wanted.

That's just sloppy engineering. No excuse.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
_Howard
Admin
avatar

Posts : 7275
Join date : 2013-01-16
Age : 73
Location : California

PostSubject: Re: Rants Go Here!   Sat Dec 19, 2015 1:34 pm

So where did you find the file?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
_Howard
Admin
avatar

Posts : 7275
Join date : 2013-01-16
Age : 73
Location : California

PostSubject: Re: Rants Go Here!   Sat Dec 19, 2015 1:44 pm

NoCoPilot wrote:
The beginning 1/2 second of the next track appeared at the end of the track I wanted.

Never have that problem with vinyl. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
_Howard
Admin
avatar

Posts : 7275
Join date : 2013-01-16
Age : 73
Location : California

PostSubject: Re: Rants Go Here!   Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:31 pm

NEW RANT!

Non-Replaceable Batteries. Fuck 'em. Fuck em' 'til  they're dead!

As far as I have been able to find out, Apple was the first - at least the first major - company to embrace this disgusting practice. But I am not posting  this rant because of Apple (you hear that NoCo?). They can only be accused of starting the trend; many other companies have taken their clue from them and run with it. All of them are responsible for this unforgiveable business model.

Yes, it is a business model as much - or maybe more - as it is a technical issue. When your iPhone battery goes dead, you can try to replace it yourself, or you can pay Apple $90 plus tax and shipping for replacing a battery that can be bought for eight dollars. And for that, you still have to back up your iPhone, because you won't get your iPhone back with all your data intact. You will get back a different iPhone of the same model, which you then have to restore with your contacts, etc. I don't know if the same is true of other manufacturers' phones.

The iPhone I currently have - and will probably die with - has a battery that can be replaced in about fifteen minutes and which costs around eight dollars, including shipping. Admittedly, there are a couple of tricky bits, but they could easily have been  prevented in the phone's design with trivial changes. But Apple still wants $90 to replace it. That is not a service department; that's a profit center.

The iPad is even worse. The damn thing is glued together and has to be heated and pried apart if you want to replace the battery yourself, rather than pay Apple $99 plue $6.95 shipping, plus tax, plus your cost of shipping it to them. And again, you will not get back the iPad than you shipped. So you have to back it up and then restore it. The exception is if you have an iPad on which there is engraving done by Apple. But in that case, you can add two weeks to the service time. I don't know if all the data will be removed in that case. I wouldn't trust that it won't be.

Heaven help you if you have a MacBook. The battery prices are from $129 to $199 (plus, of course, shipping and taxes).

And let's not forget this small-type addendum: "The final service fee we charge will be determined during testing."

I have used Apple for these examples only because I am familiar with them. Other manufacturers have gone to non-replaceable batteries for various devices. Samsung, for example, has a non-replaceable battery in their latest model, which has really pissed off a bunch of Samsung users. They charge $45 for a battery replacement. I guess that's not out of line when you consider that the cost of a replacment battery alone was $30 for their earlier model, and it was a higher-capacity battery.

Technologically, there is no reason for non-replaceable batteries. There is no benefit to the customer. There is only hassle and expense. You can no longer carry a spare battery with you when you may need one. You can no longer  quickly swap out a bad battery - you have to deal with shipping and waiting, and possibly restoring the state of your device.

Unforgivable. Unnecessary. A great step backwards.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

avatar

Posts : 11038
Join date : 2013-01-16
Age : 63
Location : Seattle

PostSubject: Re: Rants Go Here!   Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:37 pm

_Howard wrote:
So where did you find the file?
It was "November Woods.AIFF" instead of "November Woods.AIF." Silly me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
_Howard
Admin
avatar

Posts : 7275
Join date : 2013-01-16
Age : 73
Location : California

PostSubject: Re: Rants Go Here!   Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:39 pm

Can you use wildcards in Apple's Find function? Like "November Woods.*"?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

avatar

Posts : 11038
Join date : 2013-01-16
Age : 63
Location : Seattle

PostSubject: Re: Rants Go Here!   Sun Dec 20, 2015 4:43 am

_Howard wrote:
Technologically, there is no reason for non-replaceable batteries. There is no benefit to the customer.
I believe you're wrong, and here's why.

Your comments are rooted in the old non-rechargeable battery world.  Sony Walkmans and wall clocks.

With rechargeable batteries (in the new world of cell phones, tablets, thermostats), the life span is 7-10 years instead of <12 months.  Rechargeable batteries are smaller, lighter, and more expensive.  Three points need to be made here.  One, with a battery needing replacement only every decade, access to the battery need not be as customer-friendly.  Design of the product can be made smaller, tighter, dirt- and water-tight, more secure, more clean & elegant if Joe Sixpack doesn't need to get into it.  Two, new high-tech devices have a planned obsolescence.  New designs come along much more frequently than every 7-10 years, so the devices become disposable rather than customer-serviceable.  Technological improvements double every couple of years.  New rechargeable devices aren't DESIGNED to last forever.  Software upgrades render most of them obsolete long before the batteries die.  Three, the battery represents a substantial percentage of the cost of these devices, up to and including electric cars.  Therefore, viewing the battery as a non-integral (replaceable) component of the device is wrong thinking.  Instead of comparing it to a Walkman, you should be comparing it to a device that we're all used to replacing when it dies, where buying a new power source costs more than replacing it, where planned obsolescence is accepted.

I'm having trouble thinking of an example that's comparable though....

Computer printers are disposable now, but we still talk reverently about our 20-year-old DeskJets.  And they don't die because of batteries.

Watches -- at least expensive watches -- all use replaceable batteries.

Fire extinguishers are usually cheaper to replace than recharge, but they don't change much year to year.

Disposable cameras or lighters perhaps.  Filters from a water purifier.  Nuclear fuel rods. Shoes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
_Howard
Admin
avatar

Posts : 7275
Join date : 2013-01-16
Age : 73
Location : California

PostSubject: Re: Rants Go Here!   Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:04 am

I was not addressing rechargeable vs non-rechargeable batteries. I spoke only to non-replaceable batteries.

There is no technological benefit derived from batteries being non-replaceable or difficult and expensive to replace.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

avatar

Posts : 11038
Join date : 2013-01-16
Age : 63
Location : Seattle

PostSubject: Re: Rants Go Here!   Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:17 am

There is no technological benefit derived from integrated circuit chips being soldered onto the circuit board, rather than plugged into IC sockets. It is an OUTRAGE, an OUTRAGE I tell you, that so many TVs and radios and stereo components and mobile phones have non-replaceable IC chips these days.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
_Howard
Admin
avatar

Posts : 7275
Join date : 2013-01-16
Age : 73
Location : California

PostSubject: Re: Rants Go Here!   Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:21 am

Is that the best you can do? You can't deny the validity of my statement, so you just throw out a ridiculous remark? Well done.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

avatar

Posts : 11038
Join date : 2013-01-16
Age : 63
Location : Seattle

PostSubject: Re: Rants Go Here!   Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:07 am

Not so ridiculous.  When you stop equating lithium-ion rechargeable batteries with alkaline batteries, and instead consider them closer to other electronic components (like IC chips), you'll realize that "replaceability" is a moot point -- just like replaceable IC chips.

Incidentally, are you pissed that you can't replace the points in your car anymore?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
_Howard
Admin
avatar

Posts : 7275
Join date : 2013-01-16
Age : 73
Location : California

PostSubject: Re: Rants Go Here!   Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:19 am

NoCoPilot wrote:
When you stop equating alkaline batteries with lithium-ion rechargeable batteries,

You'll have to point out to me where I did that. Good luck. I have devices with Li-Ion batteries that are replaceable. And I have replaced them. Cheaply and easily. Well, sometimes not so cheaply; they are sometimes pricey little bastards.

You should read up on the manner in which large IC chips are installed these days. BGA is the standard today for large chips and they have their own problems, primarily with heat. I just replaced my grandson's computer because the BGA under the video chip failed. So I'm out over a thousand bucks because of the chip attachment method. Is there some reason you cannot accept that these decisions are more often made for financial rather than technological reasons?

If you ever come up with a technological benefit for non-replaceable batteries, then you can trash my rant. But you have not, and likely will not, come up with anything. Just saying, "That's the way it is" is not a valid argument.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

avatar

Posts : 11038
Join date : 2013-01-16
Age : 63
Location : Seattle

PostSubject: Re: Rants Go Here!   Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:26 am

New Rant: Television commercials where video games are shown to spill over into real life.

For some reason in the past couple of months I've seen a whole bunch of new ads where by playing Candy Crush a video gamer saves a pony, or by playing that crystals game the gamer saves somebody from being trapped in a crystal, or by building castles the gamer protects townspeople from invading hordes of barbarians -- to say NOTHING of the dozens of war and first person shooter game commercials where they imply the gamer is really shooting bad guys who need to be shot.

Video games are fantasy. They have no real world application, the gamer is not involved in the world around him, shooting cartoon bad guys or saving cartoon horses is not noble.

Please don't feed the trolls. Don't pander to the tiny minority of brain-damaged individuals who enter a school carrying an assault weapon, thinking they're doing something like earning points on god's scoreboard.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

avatar

Posts : 11038
Join date : 2013-01-16
Age : 63
Location : Seattle

PostSubject: Re: Rants Go Here!   Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:31 am

_Howard wrote:
Heaven help you if you have a MacBook.
Rilly??
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

avatar

Posts : 11038
Join date : 2013-01-16
Age : 63
Location : Seattle

PostSubject: Re: Rants Go Here!   Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:38 am

_Howard wrote:
If you ever come up with a technological benefit for non-replaceable batteries, then you can trash my rant.
To get you to buy a new phone now and then.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
_Howard
Admin
avatar

Posts : 7275
Join date : 2013-01-16
Age : 73
Location : California

PostSubject: Re: Rants Go Here!   Sun Dec 20, 2015 1:40 pm

Exactly.  Although not a technological reason, it is the real one. And it is completely unacceptable.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

avatar

Posts : 11038
Join date : 2013-01-16
Age : 63
Location : Seattle

PostSubject: Re: Rants Go Here!   Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:37 pm

Meh. Businesses gotta make money. If you don't like it, you don't have to buy their products.

Not "unacceptable." Just a business decision.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
_Howard
Admin
avatar

Posts : 7275
Join date : 2013-01-16
Age : 73
Location : California

PostSubject: Re: Rants Go Here!   Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:47 pm

For me, their business decision is unacceptable.

I didn't buy their products. The phone was a gift.
I have bought Apple products for others, but I have never bought any of their products for myself. I did have an Apple II which was partial payment for a client's bill many years ago, but that was the business, not me personally.

In any case, I said right up front that the rant was not about Apple - it was about non-replaceable batteries. Apple has other problems that prevent me from buying their stuff.

I just noticed a crack in the corner of my phone case. Does that mean I need a new phone?

The manufacturer no longer produces a case for the 4S. Amazon has doubled their prices on it since I bought this case three years ago: went from $18 to $40 total. Fucking idiots at Amazon are losing their minds. A few weeks ago I was looking at a birthday gift and Amazon was charging $100 over retail.

Thank goodness for eBay. $11.98 shipped for a new, retail package case.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

avatar

Posts : 11038
Join date : 2013-01-16
Age : 63
Location : Seattle

PostSubject: Re: Rants Go Here!   Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:27 pm

_Howard wrote:
Fucking idiots at Amazon are losing their minds.
Careful there granddad, you're starting to sound a little unhinged.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Rants Go Here!   

Back to top Go down
 
Rants Go Here!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 5 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Topics :: Just For Fun-
Jump to: