HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

New Printer

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
_Howard
Admin

PostSubject: Re: New Printer   Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:12 pm

I looked under the heading "What's Included" and found this: Setup Ink Tanks.

That adds another $100 to the price for full tanks of ink. That pisses me off.
Besides which they no longer have the photo cyan and photo magenta inks. These have been replaced by a photo black and a gray ink. I'm not sure if I like that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: New Printer   Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:18 pm

Look for a printer with white ink. That allows you to print on black paper.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: New Printer   Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:22 pm

Speaking of papers, last week I bought a new ream of card stock paper, which I use for heavy-duty CD covers.  OfficeDepot/OfficeMax stopped carrying my bright-white 65lb I used to use after they merged, so I had to buy their replacement 110lb Exact Index Premium Cardstock.

It sux.

Although it looks about the same, everything printed to it comes out dull and gray.  Colors do not pop.  Everything looks like a 1970's faded photograph.

Paper is SO important.

Last edited by NoCoPilot on Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
_Howard
Admin

PostSubject: Re: New Printer   Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:24 pm

If you want good color, you need coated paper.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
_Howard
Admin

PostSubject: Re: New Printer   Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:33 pm

I finally found a printer without all the extras. It is almost identical to the MG7720 I was looking at - same inks and print head, same wireless stuff; but no scanner, fax, or vibrator. And it costs almost $100 more. And, of course, another $125 or so for ink.

I guess if you want simplicity you have to be willing to pay for it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: New Printer   Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:21 pm

_Howard wrote:
I guess if you want simplicity you have to be willing to pay for it.
If you want exclusivity you have to be willing to pay for it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
_Howard
Admin

PostSubject: Re: New Printer   Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:36 pm

Reminds me of the line going around in 1973 during the gasoline shortage. There weren't many small cars and there was suddenly a large market for them, so the prices zoomed. The line was, "If you want economy, you have to be willing to pay for it."

I looked at HP and they have some very nice printers there. Unfortunately, none of them will print on CDs and DVDs. There are just too many printers with too many options for my small mind to get around.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: New Printer   Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:04 am

I noticed the Canon advertised that it printed on CDs and DVDs. I didn't know anybody still did that anymore since it became well-known that the labels cause premature failure.

Or is this some process I'm not aware of, where there is no "label" but you can print on the disc itself?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
_Howard
Admin

PostSubject: Re: New Printer   Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:55 am

The discs are printable. Labels are a no no.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
_Howard
Admin

PostSubject: Re: New Printer   Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:12 pm

I've sent Canon support an email to see if there is something that can fix my current printer. I've had it for nine years and they no longer make a comparable printer, so it's worth it to me if it can be repaired. I think it's a software problem and the thing just needs to be rebooted.

I had just about made up my mind to buy the MG7720. When I went to Canon's website to get more info on it, I noticed that they lowered the MSRP by fifty dollars overnight. That normally means that they are coming out with a new top-of-the-line model in that printer group. It also means that the on-line resellers should reduce their prices significantly, making the printer almost free. Guess I'll need to give them a few days.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
_Howard
Admin

PostSubject: Re: New Printer   Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:55 pm

Never heard back from my email to Canon, so I called them. Took about three minutes to get a support tech on the phone. He is going to send me a new magenta cartridge to see if that fixes the problem. Nice of them: the tanks are about $18 in the store.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
_Howard
Admin

PostSubject: Re: New Printer   Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:26 pm

Color me shocked and amazed!

FedEx delivered the free ink tank from Canon (I talked to Canon Tuesday afternoon). Now the printer works fine.

Ran some test prints and the colors and coverage are perfect. And I think some of the ink tanks are at least five years old. There was a period of a couple of years that I don't think I used the printer at all.

I stuck in the third-party black tank and printed a grayscale photograph. It looks very good. No problem with the way the ink works. Only time will tell if the stuff plugs up the print head. At least on the Canon, replacing the print head is almost trivial (that's trivial in the amount of effort; dollar-wise, it's about eighty bucks). The new tank does have the proper chip in it, as the black tank now shows as full on the status display. Put the old Canon black tank back in and will let it run dry before resorting to the new stuff, which is less than one-third the cost of Canon tanks.

I am relieved, as I could not find a good replacement for this printer. It was not an expensive printer, but they just don't make one which is a feature-for-feature replacement.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: New Printer   Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:46 am

Didn't QUITE make it to the new year.

This morning my printer finally ran out of yellow ink.  Cyan, magenta and black are all low.  So I FINALLY got to install the "ink-by-mail" cartridges which I've had since, when, August?  We'll see how long they last.  They went in just fine and print looks great.

Over the past few months I've been printing like crazy, trying to use up the ink that came with the printer, so I can initiate this "ink-by-mail" program with the higher capacity cartridges and the automated replacements.  I was beginning to think I'd never get to use the new ink!

The old cartridges go into a white plastic mailing bag, pre-addressed & postpaid, just seal it and stick it in the mail.

So far so good.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: New Printer   Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:22 am

NoCoPilot wrote:
Speaking of papers, last week I bought a new ream of card stock paper, which I use for heavy-duty CD covers.  OfficeDepot/OfficeMax stopped carrying my bright-white 65lb I used to use after they merged, so I had to buy their replacement 110lb Exact Index Premium Cardstock.

It sux.

Although it looks about the same, everything printed to it comes out dull and gray.  Colors do not pop.  Everything looks like a 1970's faded photograph.

Paper is SO important.
Finally got around to returning this ream last week -- they let me exchange it, even without a receipt -- and the clerk pointed out to me something that wasn't obvious, in fact I could not find anywhere on the packaging where this is stated, but apparently it was a ream of gray card stock!!!

Light gray.

Barely off white.

Not noticeable unless you place it next to "bright white" card stock, which I replaced it with, and which looks marvelous.

Another harbinger of Alzheimer's perhaps.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: New Printer   Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:12 pm

On December 18, 2015 NoCoPilot wrote:
This morning my printer finally ran out of yellow ink.  Cyan, magenta and black are all low.  So I FINALLY got to install the "ink-by-mail" cartridges which I've had since, when, August?  We'll see how long they last.  
Answer: to today.  That's almost exactly eleven months.

I've had the next set of replacement cartridges on my shelf for MONTHS, waiting for the old ones to dry up/run empty.  Looking at supply levels online it always showed about 1/4 tank left.

Well this morning, in the middle of a print job, the printer stopped printing and finally said "Fill me up Bozo."  Not bad.  Eleven months!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Printer   

Back to top Go down

New Printer
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Topics :: Science & Tech-
Jump to: