HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Unbelievable

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
_Howard
Admin

PostSubject: Unbelievable   Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:14 pm

What's unbelievable is that Donald Trump has said something with which I agree.

In an interview, Trump said that he did not consider John McCain to be a war hero. He has caught all kinds of shit for this, but it may be the only true thing he has said.

McCain was an undistinguished pilot, considered sub-standard by many of his peers. Nothing more.
When McCain was a prisoner in Hanoi, He taped a "confession" for his captors, in which he confessed to being a war criminal who had bombed civilian targets. I don't hold it against McCain for being broken under torture, but one must consider that none of the other approximately 800 prisoners there made such a statement. McCain was a high value prisoner because of his father's rank, and that may have led to him being subjected to more extreme torture than the other men.

Trump, I am sure, has absolutely no idea what kind of acts would accurately assign the term of hero to a man, but he is right in his statement that McCain is not a hero.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
richard09

PostSubject: Re: Unbelievable   Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:49 pm

True enough. One can't help that observe that Trump also said he missed the war by being lucky with the draft. Then someone pointed out all the deferments that he used.

Even a stopped clock is right twice a day. I'm still not going to use it to tell the time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Unbelievable   Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:02 am

I never researched or cared about McCain's years as a POW, and I'm about as anti-war as they come.

However, the fact that he *was* held in Hanoi, and tortured because of his father's rank, and then went on to serve his country in politics, I think deserves begrudging respect.

Does it make him a "war hero"?  Hell no.

But a draft evader like Trump (and me) does not have the right to minimize McCain's service to his country.  McCain may be batshit crazy in his desire to send troops to every skirmish on the planet, but the man deserves respect for what he's been through.

In general I also do not discuss Trump.  The man is not a serious candidate, and has zero percent chance of getting the nomination.  He's the clown who antagonizes the bull then jumps in a barrel.

Last edited by NoCoPilot on Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
_Howard
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Unbelievable   Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:36 pm

I have zero respect for John McCain. Fuck him.

You really think Trump has zero chance at the nomination? He's running as a Republican. Never underestimate their stupidity. Remember Nixon? Reagan? Bush?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Unbelievable   Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:03 pm

Palin?

Hmmm, you may have a point.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jenni
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Unbelievable   Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:32 pm

_Howard wrote:
When McCain was a prisoner in Hanoi, He taped a "confession" for his captors, in which he confessed to being a war criminal who had bombed civilian targets.
That's the part that burns my ass. Maybe I'm too "Hu-rah" having grown up in the south with military men but I think you'd have had to peel me like an onion to get me to do that. Mainly because it would be a reflection on my fellow soldiers. I'll be goddamned if I call my fellow soldiers war criminals just to get fed that day or whatever.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://unintelligibledebate.forumotion.com
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Unbelievable   Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:19 pm

Trump continues to lead the GOP polls going into the Fox candidate debates.

The GOP will have a problem if he still polls well after the debates.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
_Howard
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Unbelievable   Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:23 pm

Jenni wrote:
That's the part that burns my ass. Maybe I'm too "Hu-rah" having grown up in the south with military men but I think you'd have had to peel me like an onion to get me to do that. Mainly because it would be a reflection on my fellow soldiers. I'll be goddamned if I call my fellow soldiers war criminals just to get fed that day or whatever.

Regardless of your conviction, Jenni, you would have a very difficult time under the conditions McCain was in. It was not a matter of whether or not he had something to eat that day, it was a matter of severe torture. I do not fault the man for having been broken. While I was never on the receiving end of  "enhanced interrogation", I don't doubt that a point could have been reached where I would have said whatever they wanted just to stop the torture.

My only problem is with those who insist on calling the man a "War Hero" just because he survived. Many other survived long imprisonment in Hanoi, and yet others did not survive. We don't know any of their names, do we? But they were subjected to more or less the same treatment as McCain.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
_Howard
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Unbelievable   Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:25 pm

NoCoPilot wrote:
Trump continues to lead the GOP polls going into the Fox candidate debates.

The GOP will have a problem if he still polls well after the debates.

Never underestimate the stupidity of the American electorate.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
richard09

PostSubject: Re: Unbelievable   Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:08 pm

There's no real reason why his polling numbers should go down too much. Yes, he's a joke. But when push comes to shove, so are the other "candidates". There isn't a single one of them that has a coherent platform, or even pieces of such. They've spent 7 years trying to make sure that President Obama didn't achieve anything, and have failed at that. On the positive side, they've done... what exactly?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
_Howard
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Unbelievable   Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:31 pm

richard09 wrote:
On the positive side, they've done... what exactly?

That's always the question about Republican candidates: for President, Governor, whatever. And the answer is always "nothing good." And yet tens of millions of people will vote for these politicians who will then do their best to make life worse for all but about a dozen of the people who voted for them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Unbelievable   Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:09 am

I totally missed the fact that the GOP debates were Thursday night. That was also Jon Stewart's last show. I was out celebrating our anniversary with Mrs NoCo.

From what I read, the debates were nothing new. I didn't miss much.

I caught Jon on PPV and the show was predictable but occasionally moving. It was not as well done as Johnny Carson's last show.

I wonder if the reason we have so many GOP candidates this election cycle is due to two factors: 1) The nation is in better shape than it's been in eight years, and 2) Disdain for the sitting Democratic president and presumptive Democratic candidate are at an all-time low?

I'll say it again, the Dems need to jettison Hillary as soon as possible. She cannot win.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Unbelievable   

Back to top Go down

Unbelievable
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1