HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Science Fiction & Race

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

Science Fiction & Race Empty
PostSubject: Science Fiction & Race   Science Fiction & Race EmptyFri Jul 10, 2015 8:28 am

In all the science fiction I've read, in all the science fiction movies I have watched -- in fact in almost every media portrayal -- there are white characters, there are black characters, there are Asian characters.

Aside from Mr. Spock, who was half-Vulcan and half-human, there does not appear to have been any race mixing in the future.
Back to top Go down
richard09

richard09

PostSubject: Re: Science Fiction & Race   Science Fiction & Race EmptyFri Jul 10, 2015 10:17 am

If you mean that you expect everybody to be coffee-with-cream in the future, I don't know that that's particularly likely anyway. And the idea of inter-species mixing (as in Star Trek) is so ludicrous that anybody who got through high school ought to be embarrassed by it.

Inter-species sex ought to be a pretty big thing. Larry Niven certainly thinks so, and even made a name for it (Rishathra). Babylon 5 almost went there, but chickened out on a couple of levels.
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: Science Fiction & Race   Science Fiction & Race EmptySat Jul 11, 2015 6:28 pm

richard09 wrote:
If you mean that you expect everybody to be coffee-with-cream in the future, I don't know that that's particularly likely anyway.
I have to agree with this. The mixing of races (god, I hate that word; races are not even real) is dependent not just on biology but also - and probably the biggest factor - is culture. No matter how far into the future one looks, the people are still going to be humans, with all of their faults. So physical (race) difference will continue, but the racial bigotry will - I think - eventually disappear (except for the Frank Gorshin character, of course).

Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Science Fiction & Race   Science Fiction & Race EmptySat Jul 11, 2015 7:45 pm

_Howard wrote:
... races are not even real [...] racial bigotry will - I think - eventually disappear
Precisely my point.

If race is strictly a 'habit of breeding' (for lack of a better definition) ...

--and  --

bigotry continues to recede in the world as the movement of people brings different cultures into contact with each other ...

What's NOT to lead to a coffee-with-cream future? If not ubiquitous, at least common?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Science Fiction & Race   Science Fiction & Race Empty

Back to top Go down

Science Fiction & Race
Page 1 of 1