Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

Old Television Empty
PostSubject: Old Television   Old Television EmptyMon Jun 29, 2015 6:05 pm

The offerings on TV today are 99% absolute shit. And I'm not even counting the so-called reality shows.

So I have decided to watch some good stuff from days long gone. No, I'm not talking about sit-coms from the fifties. Those suck as much now as they did then.

I've just downloaded the first five seasons of Homicide: Life on the Street. What a superb change from what crap we are being given today.

A cop show with no car chases and no gun fights. But with great writing, great story lines,  and acting par excellence.

When I'm finished with this one, I think I'll re-watch The Wire, one of the four TV series I have on DVD. The other three are The Sopranos, Breaking Bad, and Monty Python.

I had almost forgotten that television can actually provide good, cerebral adult entertainment.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

Old Television Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old Television   Old Television EmptyMon Jun 29, 2015 7:26 pm

Not familiar with Homicide: Life on the Street. On the others I concur -- there is quality out there but you have to dig. Surprisingly I think the Golden Age of Television is right now though. The subscription networks -- HBO & Showtime -- are producing some great stuff. Free networks, 100% garbage.
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

Old Television Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old Television   Old Television EmptySat Aug 22, 2015 7:11 pm

I have to disagree with you about this being the Golden Age of television.
Yes, the network stuff is all crap; no doubt about that (except for some of the cartoons on Fox; Simpsons, etc.).
But as far as HBO and Showtime are concerned, they have a few - a very few good programs. Several times a year, the satellite service (we can't get cable here) offers a few days of HBO, etc, free of charge. I scan the listings and very seldom find anything I want to watch. Perhaps 1 or 2 percent of their offerings are worth the time spent watching them. Just my opinion.

You may find that as you get older, you have already seen a previous incarnation of what is now being offered as entertainment. Same old stories with more blood and car chases.

Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

Old Television Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old Television   Old Television EmptyMon Aug 24, 2015 9:36 pm

Maybe I'm thinking of Netflix, which gets programs from all over the world.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Old Television Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old Television   Old Television Empty

Back to top Go down

Old Television
Page 1 of 1