Gluten-Free Beer

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

Gluten-Free Beer Empty
PostSubject: Gluten-Free Beer   Gluten-Free Beer EmptySat Jun 20, 2015 3:19 pm

Ran across a New Grist Pilsner from Lakefront Brewery that advertises itself as gluten free.  Curious to know if it makes it any easier for me to drink beer -- which usually gives me a whopping belly ache -- I bought a six pack.

It ain't bad.

And it seems to settle pretty well.

Ingredients are just four:
* Water
* Rice & Sorghum extract
* Hops
* Yeast

Last edited by NoCoPilot on Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

Gluten-Free Beer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gluten-Free Beer   Gluten-Free Beer EmptySat Jun 20, 2015 3:22 pm

How many people really have a problem with gluten? Eight? Fourteen?
Gluten-Free is just another fad. I'm so sick of it that I am going to try to find foods and drinks advertised as "High Gluten."

What's next? Gluten-free cars?
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

Gluten-Free Beer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gluten-Free Beer   Gluten-Free Beer EmptySat Jun 20, 2015 3:31 pm

I have read some speculation that the current apparent explosion in gluten intolerance has nothing to do with wheat gluten, but in fact is an intestinal reaction to all of the antibiotics and pesticides in the food chain.
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

Gluten-Free Beer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gluten-Free Beer   Gluten-Free Beer EmptySat Jun 20, 2015 3:34 pm

If it's such a problem, one has to wonder why the US imports 400 million pounds of wheat gluten every year.

Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

Gluten-Free Beer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gluten-Free Beer   Gluten-Free Beer EmptySat Jun 20, 2015 3:47 pm

Quote :
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration blocked imports of wheat gluten from a Chinese company Monday. The agency identified the company as the source of the tainted wheat gluten that caused a massive pet-food recall last week. Given how much wheat is produced by American farmers, why do we need to import wheat gluten?

Because it's cheaper than buying domestic gluten. We may be the world's largest exporter of wheat, shipping 1 billion bushels to other countries in last year's growing season. Yet we export relatively little wheat gluten. To extract the gluten from wheat, you have to separate it from the starch, by repeatedly washing and kneading wheat flour. But only four U.S. companies go through this process; last year, they produced roughly 100 million pounds of wheat gluten, about 20 percent of the domestic demand.

Almost two-thirds of the more than 400 million pounds we imported came from European Union countries. That's because the Europeans use wheat starch to make sweeteners, which leaves them with a lot of extra gluten. The United States, on the other hand, relies on corn for sweeteners—thus the high-fructose corn syrup in our sodas. Add in Europe's wheat subsidies, and EU nations can sell their wheat gluten for a low price. U.S. wheat-gluten-makers say EU prices are sometimes below American production costs.

In addition to EU countries, Australia accounted for more than 18 percent of imported gluten in 2006 and China 14 percent, according to the USDA's Foreign Agricultural Service. Industry insiders say Chinese imports more than doubled from 2005, based on U.S. Census Bureau figures.

Our enormous appetite for wheat gluten exacerbates the wheat-gluten trade deficit. We're the world's biggest consumer of wheat gluten today; American manufacturers use it to produce baked goods. Having the right protein content in dough ensures that it will remain intact as it rises. Without the elasticity afforded by the gluten, bread would collapse, yielding a dense, heavy loaf. Wheat gluten also gives vegetarian "fake meat," like DIY seitan, and pet food a meatlike texture and binds together processed foods like chicken nuggets, turkey burgers, and imitation crabmeat. Gluten even makes its way into shampoo and biodegradable sporks.

Bonus Explainer: We may be the biggest wheat exporter around, but we're also an importer. The United States bought $304 million worth of wheat from Canada last year, and smaller amounts from Mexico, Hungary, and a few other nations.

Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

Gluten-Free Beer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gluten-Free Beer   Gluten-Free Beer EmptySat Jun 20, 2015 3:54 pm

Are you trying to make some point with that article (which I've already read).
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

Gluten-Free Beer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gluten-Free Beer   Gluten-Free Beer EmptySat Jun 20, 2015 4:00 pm

You wondered why we import 400 million pounds of wheat gluten. I provided the answer -- because we can import it below domestic cost of production. It is used as a thickener in all sorts of products.

Same reason we export so much corn syrup -- government subsidies have distorted the marketplace.
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

Gluten-Free Beer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gluten-Free Beer   Gluten-Free Beer EmptySat Jun 20, 2015 4:07 pm

The economic considerations were not the discussion in this thread. The discussion was about gluten causing heath problems. If gluten is causing widespread horrible medical problems, why import it or manufacture it? But you already knew what the point is I was making.

Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

Gluten-Free Beer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gluten-Free Beer   Gluten-Free Beer EmptySat Jun 20, 2015 4:21 pm

Cigarettes.

Just because we know a product has harmful side effects doesn't mean it is automatically banned.

But you knew that. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Gluten-Free Beer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gluten-Free Beer   Gluten-Free Beer Empty

Back to top Go down

Gluten-Free Beer
Page 1 of 1