HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Autographs

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Autographs   Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:21 am

I somehow got on an email list for a company that makes 1/18 scale diecast cars, it's fun seeing what is offered, anything from 1920s luxury cars to modern race cars. I don't plan to buy any more models but they're fun to see.

Yesterday's announcement includes a Farrari 312P Spyder signed by Mario Andretti, for which they're asking $689.95. That's about ten times normal.

Makes me wonder again why autographs are valuable. Why people collect them.

For historical figures, who did not hold "signing events" I can see that the scarcity could lead to value. But for living persons, or intentionally-signed posters or CD covers or Ferrari models? I don't get it.

It's like people expect the item to carry some magic essence of the signor or something.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Jenni
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Autographs   Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:45 am

I've never understood it either.
I haven't lacked for celebrity contact. I have Micheal Boatman on Twitter, I have author friends, I've met Sandra Bullock, Keifer Sutherland, (filming the Time To Kill movie) John Cusack, and most recently Dan Akroyd (who's looking for a house down here for some reason) and was mucking up my favorite liquor store with lines and starry eyed slow people who have no taste in whiskey. Never once have I had the urge to ask for an autograph. I just don't get it. I mean, I speak, I tell them how much I enjoyed their movie or book and I say thank you but I've just never understood what signing their name on a sheet of paper is supposed to do for me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://unintelligibledebate.forumotion.com

Autographs
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Topics :: Just For Fun-
Jump to: