Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

What I'm Drinking Tonight - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What I'm Drinking Tonight   What I'm Drinking Tonight - Page 6 EmptyTue Aug 09, 2016 4:42 pm

I have always regretted that I do like wine. I don't dislike it, but every wine I have tasted, including some $100+ bottles, have disappointed me. The best alcoholic drinks I have had are the product of a local brewer: Firestone Walker. They make some barleywine that is great.

I would like to share their spirits with you, but the stuff cannot easily be shipped. So here's the deal. If anyone here is interested in trying my current favorite, Firestone Stickee Monkee, Go down and buy yourself a bottle. Let us know what you think of it and I will send you the purchase price via PayPal.

I have tried to find stores in your areas that sell it, and I have found such in Seattle and Brooklyn. I couldn't find anything in Mississippi, so Jenni, you will have to do your own search. I dearly hope you can find it.

I found one store in Seattle for NoCo.

There seem to be many places in Brooklyn where it may be found, Richard.
http://www.firestonebeer.com/find/?zip=11201&type=1&miles=25&brand%5B%5D=Stickee+Monkee#results
Back to top Go down
richard09

richard09

PostSubject: Re: What I'm Drinking Tonight   What I'm Drinking Tonight - Page 6 EmptyFri Aug 19, 2016 8:14 pm

I've been sipping some brandy, but I may have to change up.

The unexpected health benefits of tequila
Back to top Go down
richard09

richard09

PostSubject: Re: What I'm Drinking Tonight   What I'm Drinking Tonight - Page 6 EmptySun Aug 21, 2016 8:50 pm

Just sampled The Dirty Pure Project 'The F Bomb' Red Blend 2013. Can't find any reviews anywhere, but it's right up my street - tastes like the Rhone wines I favor. I did find some reviews of the 2012 that were unimpressed, so I have to think the 2013 is better (couldn't just be to my taste, could it?).
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: What I'm Drinking Tonight   What I'm Drinking Tonight - Page 6 EmptyMon Aug 22, 2016 10:26 am

richard09 wrote:
(couldn't just be to my taste, could it?).
Quote :
"Fresh cracked black pepper, white flowers and cigar box followed by a deep and brooding core of blackberry jam, ripe strawberry and velvety textures with purity, concentration and a long, seamless finish."
Pepper and fruit and flowers I can see, but "cigar box" sounds nasty.
Back to top Go down
richard09

richard09

PostSubject: Re: What I'm Drinking Tonight   What I'm Drinking Tonight - Page 6 EmptyMon Aug 22, 2016 1:24 pm

I'm not sure what they mean by that, not having sniffed a cigar box in a long time. Perhaps it's that the wine is genuinely dry, rather than just "not sweet".
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: What I'm Drinking Tonight   What I'm Drinking Tonight - Page 6 EmptyMon Aug 22, 2016 1:45 pm

A lot of reds are described as having tobacco tones, but as someone who literally gags in the presence of pipes or cigars, I don't find that an attractant.
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: What I'm Drinking Tonight   What I'm Drinking Tonight - Page 6 EmptyTue Aug 30, 2016 1:04 pm

Schöfferhofer Grapefruit Beer.

What I'm Drinking Tonight - Page 6 Huc1
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: What I'm Drinking Tonight   What I'm Drinking Tonight - Page 6 EmptyTue Aug 30, 2016 2:14 pm

Doesn't even SOUND good.

I'm still working on my Amstel, Sam Adams and Shiner Bock. I only drink about two beers a month so it takes me a while to get through a six pack.
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: What I'm Drinking Tonight   What I'm Drinking Tonight - Page 6 EmptyTue Aug 30, 2016 5:28 pm

Another winner from Firestone Walker: Helldorado.

Just a tiny bit sweeter than their other barley wines, but outstanding taste nonetheless. No after taste, even at 11.86% ABV.

I really do enjoy the barley wines from this company. Undoubtedly the best tasting alcoholic beverages I've ever encountered.
Back to top Go down
richard09

richard09

PostSubject: Re: What I'm Drinking Tonight   What I'm Drinking Tonight - Page 6 EmptyThu Sep 01, 2016 3:18 pm

Just for a change, I'm trying a rosé, Exit 43. I like it.
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: What I'm Drinking Tonight   What I'm Drinking Tonight - Page 6 EmptyThu Sep 01, 2016 3:44 pm

Don't you feel that you're slumming by drinking California wines?
Have your pretentious friends said, "Vous avez le cervau d'un sandwich au fromage."
Back to top Go down
richard09

richard09

PostSubject: Re: What I'm Drinking Tonight   What I'm Drinking Tonight - Page 6 EmptyThu Sep 01, 2016 8:01 pm

What I find funny is that Americans are so worried about what variety of grapes went into the wine. Personally, I worry a lot more about what it tastes like.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: What I'm Drinking Tonight   What I'm Drinking Tonight - Page 6 EmptyFri Sep 02, 2016 5:23 am

I suspect most Americans are primarily concerned with what's the cheapest way to get drunk.
Back to top Go down
richard09

richard09

PostSubject: Re: What I'm Drinking Tonight   What I'm Drinking Tonight - Page 6 EmptyThu Sep 22, 2016 11:31 pm

Howard, I stuck my head into one of the locations you suggested: Prospect Heights Beer Works. It's actually within walking distance from our apartment (Natty Garden, next door, is where I buy flowers and stuff in the spring).

It's not big on decor, but that's because they spent all their money on beer. There's an unbelievable selection inside that rough-looking building. Of course, when I got there, I forgot the name of the beer you were recommending, so I'll have to go back for the Stickee Monkee.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: What I'm Drinking Tonight   What I'm Drinking Tonight - Page 6 EmptyFri Sep 23, 2016 6:41 am

And I have not yet visited Downtown Spirits because, well, it actually *is* downtown and besides, I only drink two beers a month and I still have six or seven bottles in my fridge.  I'll get some Stickee Monkee eventually I suppose, just for the novelty.
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: What I'm Drinking Tonight   What I'm Drinking Tonight - Page 6 EmptyFri Sep 23, 2016 9:34 am

I hope they still have it in stock. All of Firestone's barley wines are limited production, and they vary somewhat from year to year. I do hope you can still find it.

And as it says at the bottom of the menu in the Chinese cafe, "No substitutions."

If they are out, we will have to wait for next year and I will make this offer with the one I consider best of the new brews.

Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: What I'm Drinking Tonight   What I'm Drinking Tonight - Page 6 EmptyMon Oct 10, 2016 2:16 pm

Ommegang Rosetta. A sour cherry beer.

It's not as bad as Schöfferhofer Grapefruit. That's about all I can say.
I can't figure out how they can put cherries in something and have it taste so bad.
Back to top Go down
richard09

richard09

PostSubject: Re: What I'm Drinking Tonight   What I'm Drinking Tonight - Page 6 EmptyMon Oct 10, 2016 4:07 pm

Akiyoshi Reserve. I don't agree with the gushing reviews. It's quite nice in terms of being very smooth with typical cab body (not really heavy, but not watery either). But while the flavor is quite intense, it's not entirely to my liking: it seems a bit funky to me.
Back to top Go down
richard09

richard09

PostSubject: Re: What I'm Drinking Tonight   What I'm Drinking Tonight - Page 6 EmptyFri Oct 14, 2016 5:25 pm

This one is much nicer. Smooth, dark and fruity.
Back to top Go down
richard09

richard09

PostSubject: Re: What I'm Drinking Tonight   What I'm Drinking Tonight - Page 6 EmptyThu Nov 10, 2016 4:52 pm

My personal situation is steering me in the direction of serious drinking. I'm enjoying 1800 Silver quite a lot, over ice with a little Rose's lime juice.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: What I'm Drinking Tonight   What I'm Drinking Tonight - Page 6 EmptyThu Nov 10, 2016 6:08 pm

richard09 wrote:
My personal situation is steering me in the direction of serious drinking.
I don't suppose you need any critique of this plan?
Back to top Go down
richard09

richard09

PostSubject: Re: What I'm Drinking Tonight   What I'm Drinking Tonight - Page 6 EmptyFri Nov 11, 2016 6:15 am

My wife is in hospital, and not doing very well. Technically, she already qualifies for hospice. We're not quite there yet, but it doesn't look good. Feel free to offer an alternative plan.
Back to top Go down
richard09

richard09

PostSubject: Re: What I'm Drinking Tonight   What I'm Drinking Tonight - Page 6 EmptySun Nov 13, 2016 7:10 pm

Taking a break from the tequila, I'm drinking Il Bugiardo. I was walking past a liquor store and they were doing a wine tasting. As soon as I saw "ripasso", I knew I would like it.
Back to top Go down
richard09

richard09

PostSubject: Re: What I'm Drinking Tonight   What I'm Drinking Tonight - Page 6 EmptySat Nov 19, 2016 5:57 pm

Moved on to a Wine-Of-The-Month Club selection: Syrah, 2015. Villa Atuel. Even given my current disturbed state, I think this one rates well above-average. Excellent at the price.
Back to top Go down
richard09

richard09

PostSubject: Re: What I'm Drinking Tonight   What I'm Drinking Tonight - Page 6 EmptySat Dec 03, 2016 3:09 pm

Tonight it's The Black Stump. Very nice.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What I'm Drinking Tonight   What I'm Drinking Tonight - Page 6 Empty

Back to top Go down

What I'm Drinking Tonight
Page 6 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next