Terry Pratchett

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
richard09

richard09

Terry Pratchett Empty
PostSubject: Terry Pratchett   Terry Pratchett EmptyThu Mar 12, 2015 8:38 pm

I confess I haven't read his stuff, but numerous people have told me I should.

Terry Pratchett, Discworld series author, dies aged 66
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

Terry Pratchett Empty
PostSubject: Re: Terry Pratchett   Terry Pratchett EmptyFri Mar 13, 2015 7:00 am

Me either. He's been compared to Douglas Adams, who I despise, so I'm not likely to either.
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

Terry Pratchett Empty
PostSubject: Re: Terry Pratchett   Terry Pratchett EmptyFri Mar 13, 2015 9:01 am

I don't believe I've every read any of Pratchett's books.
By the way: Love Douglas Adams. Fucking hilarious.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

Terry Pratchett Empty
PostSubject: Re: Terry Pratchett   Terry Pratchett EmptyFri Mar 13, 2015 9:10 am

You say.
Back to top Go down
richard09

richard09

Terry Pratchett Empty
PostSubject: Re: Terry Pratchett   Terry Pratchett EmptyFri Mar 13, 2015 3:54 pm

Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

Terry Pratchett Empty
PostSubject: Re: Terry Pratchett   Terry Pratchett EmptyFri Mar 13, 2015 4:41 pm

Meh.

I have hundreds of authors I want to investigate, so I will not mourn the loss of one more I'm not particularly interested in, in a genre (fantasy fiction) I don't give a rats ass about.
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

Terry Pratchett Empty
PostSubject: Re: Terry Pratchett   Terry Pratchett EmptySat Oct 24, 2015 2:44 pm

A couple of weeks ago, my wife brought home a stack of books. I scrounged through them a few days ago and found one that looked entertaining. The title is "Good Omens." A cover blurb by Clive Barker reads, "The Apocalypse has never been funnier."

I've nearly finished it, and have found it quite enjoyable. It is not a weighty tome; there are no lessons to be learned; just grins and giggles.

I paid no attention to who the author was until I got far enough into it that I thought I might want to get another of his books. Turns out it is by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman.

It is not what I would classify as science fantasy. It is satire, with a good helping of the absurd. Very droll, as one would expect of British writers, and quite funny.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

Terry Pratchett Empty
PostSubject: Re: Terry Pratchett   Terry Pratchett EmptySat Oct 24, 2015 5:35 pm

Lovely.  Maybe when I finish the 30 books on my bookshelf and the hundred more on my want list and the thousands more good ones that keep being released, I'll have time for some Terry Pratchett.

I read two or three fiction books per year. The other 50+ are non-fiction.
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

Terry Pratchett Empty
PostSubject: Re: Terry Pratchett   Terry Pratchett EmptySun Oct 25, 2015 12:03 pm

My post was primarily for Richard. I assumed that you would have no interest in the books as they are humorous. You can look up that word on Google.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

Terry Pratchett Empty
PostSubject: Re: Terry Pratchett   Terry Pratchett EmptySun Oct 25, 2015 12:09 pm

How it is spelled?
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

Terry Pratchett Empty
PostSubject: Re: Terry Pratchett   Terry Pratchett EmptySun Oct 25, 2015 12:54 pm

It is spelled h u m o r o u s.
If you were expecting a British spelling, because of the source,
Oxford Dictionary wrote:
Note that although humor is the American spelling of humour, humorous is not an American form. This word is spelled the same way in both British and American English, and the spelling humourous is regarded as an error.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

Terry Pratchett Empty
PostSubject: Re: Terry Pratchett   Terry Pratchett EmptySun Oct 25, 2015 12:55 pm

That's funny.
Back to top Go down
richard09

richard09

Terry Pratchett Empty
PostSubject: Re: Terry Pratchett   Terry Pratchett EmptySun Oct 25, 2015 2:27 pm

I'm pleased you enjoyed the book. I think most of his work is in the same vein.

Most of what I read is fiction, heavy on the vampires and/or werewolves and/or serial killers. Non-fiction gets picked up occasionally by way of popular science, but mostly is related to bridge, which counts as my work these days. Since probably none of that is of interest to either of you (although I do recommend taking up bridge if you can, it's the best game ever invented), I would recommend some of the crime fiction I like. Perhaps the Prey series by John Sandford (Rules Of Prey, etc). Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe books. Robert B. Parker's Spenser books. Adam Hall's Quiller books (a little bit dated since they are espionage books set mostly in Soviet days, but still masterworks of pace and tension).

If you haven't read any Elleston Trevor, I strongly recommend you dig some up at the library or wherever. Under his own name, he wrote some very good stuff, but he produced a mountain of excellent reading under various pseudonyms. The Quiller books, under the pen-name Adam Hall, are still the only books I've read where I've surfaced from a chapter end literally gasping for breath, as I've unconsciously been holding my breath during the action.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

Terry Pratchett Empty
PostSubject: Re: Terry Pratchett   Terry Pratchett EmptySun Oct 25, 2015 2:47 pm

Good recommendation. Mrs NoCo has read several John Sandfords, but I'll recommend the others to her.
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

Terry Pratchett Empty
PostSubject: Re: Terry Pratchett   Terry Pratchett EmptySun Oct 25, 2015 3:24 pm

richard09 wrote:
...I do recommend taking up bridge if you can, it's the best game ever invented...
You've obviously never seen four drunk sailors playing pinochle for money.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

Terry Pratchett Empty
PostSubject: Re: Terry Pratchett   Terry Pratchett EmptySun Oct 25, 2015 3:27 pm

Or strip poker at the retirement home.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Terry Pratchett Empty
PostSubject: Re: Terry Pratchett   Terry Pratchett Empty

Back to top Go down

Terry Pratchett
Page 1 of 1