Testing drivers over 80

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Jenni
Admin
Jenni

Testing drivers over 80 Empty
PostSubject: Testing drivers over 80   Testing drivers over 80 EmptySun Jan 20, 2013 7:24 pm

http://www.omaha.com/article/20130119/NEWS/701199899/1685

Quote :
Driver's license examiners would be able to administer a simple test to evaluate an applicant's short-term and long-term memory. The results would flag applicants with possible symptoms of dementia. They then would undergo additional testing before a determination on renewing the license was made.

I have mixed feelings on this topic. While I hate to take away people's ability to get around I do think driving is less a right and more a privilege that you need to be able to handle.
This also hits rather close to home for me right now. My 82 year old grandmother is still trying to drive and I do not want her to. She is not safe on the road and neither is anyone around her. I have power of attorney and am very close to basically putting a club on her car to keep her from driving. But I feel bad about it and really wish it was not left up to families. I wish it did not have to be my fault, that the government would recognize that some people age worse than others. My grandmother is not a Betty White 82. She's not spry and still alert and mostly unmedicated and on the ball. I get that it's kind of a sad thing, but I think in a lot of cases that license needs to be taken away.

Back to top Go down
https://unintelligibledebate.forumotion.com
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

Testing drivers over 80 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Testing drivers over 80   Testing drivers over 80 EmptySun Jan 20, 2013 7:53 pm

Here's what you do.

Take a sledge hammer to her fender, and then confront her. "What did you hit? Was anyone hurt?"

She will claim not to remember, and it will scare her into giving up her keys.
Back to top Go down

Testing drivers over 80
Page 1 of 1