HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Unnecessary Complications

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

Unnecessary Complications Empty
PostSubject: Unnecessary Complications   Unnecessary Complications EmptyMon Feb 02, 2015 12:36 pm

Friend of mine described VOIP phones as "an unnecessary complication of something that worked fine."

There are many examples in the world of unnecessary complication.  Proximity switches. Electric can openers.  Legos.
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: Unnecessary Complications   Unnecessary Complications EmptyMon Feb 02, 2015 3:28 pm

"Unnecessary complication" is a good term. I prefer to think of a worthless item such as VOIP as "a solution in search of a problem."

I have to disagree with your list, however.
Legos are toys for children; no useful function is required.
Electric can openers are a necessity for some people with disabilities.
Proximity switches are of great use in certain instances, but not in a home, if that was your intent.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Unnecessary Complications   Unnecessary Complications EmptyMon Feb 02, 2015 3:39 pm

Legos used to be generic building blocks, limited only by a child's imagination. Now they are purpose-built kits, with all sorts of unique blocks that have to be fitted according to the enclosed instructions in order to build the one structure shown on the box.

That's an unnecessary complication.

Proximity switches can be useful for the disabled, but in the particular example that precipitated this rant, they're used on a ice dispenser and you have to get your cup in JUST THE RIGHT position to get any ice to dispense. The old ice dispenser had a metal lever that worked just fine.

I open cat food every day and it takes twice as long with twice the fuss to try to use the electric can opener. The old manual works first time every time.

This explanation is an unnecessary complication.
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: Unnecessary Complications   Unnecessary Complications EmptyMon Feb 02, 2015 4:56 pm

No explanation needed.

Unnecessary Complications C208_usb_pet_rock_ondesk_zpsab3897ad
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Unnecessary Complications   Unnecessary Complications Empty

Back to top Go down

Unnecessary Complications
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Topics :: Science & Tech-
Jump to: