HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

One to Eighteen

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: One to Eighteen   Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:19 pm

Like Howard I have several old cars I'm particularly fond of, but unlike him I'm not stinking rich. Accordingly over the past year I have purchased some 1:18 diecast models.

These things are impeccably well made -- opening doors & boot, rubber tyres, fairly detailed plastic engines. It's the next best thing to owning one (insurance is cheaper too).

1. I started with the MG-TC Midget, 1947, British racing green. Long been a favorite of mine but impractical to own.

2. Followed that up with a 1965 Corvette Stringray, ice blue. I actually prefer the one-piece rear window of '64-5 to the iconic split window of the '63. I lusted after these cars when I was a teenager. That I'm alive today is a testament to the fact that I never could afford one.

I was determined that these two were going to be the extent of my collection.

3. Curiosity got the better of me though and I had to order an '85 Delorean. Not the Back To The Future model, just the normal one. I was curious if they'd reproduce the stainless steel body panels and the gullwing doors. They did.

4. Next I had to track down the 1952 bullet-nose Studebaker Champion with the wrap-around rear window (aqua blue). Very iconic, and another car I always sorta wanted -- but not enough to buy one.

5. Last -- hopefully -- today I received my 1970 Triumph Spitfire convertible, canary yellow. Another car that, given better circumstances, I would have owned in my youth but now I'm glad I didn't.

Hoepully, like I say, I'm done collecting now. These things are addictive though -- my brother-in-law has about 20 of them, and his son has over 60.

The only other model I wish I had is a 1958 white Rolls Royce Silver Cloud II -- but the only ones I've seen in 1:18 are $325.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
_Howard
Admin

PostSubject: Re: One to Eighteen   Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:28 pm

Stinking? Occasionally. Rich? I only wish.

Went to the web and looked up 1:18 models. Man, some of them are really nice. Incredible detail and accuracy. Looks like a fun thing, so I tried to find some of the cars I used to own. Found the E Type, but none of the others. I'm going to keep looking and see if I can locate some of my old cars. It would be cool to own models of some of them.

Problem is, I think, that some were too common and some were too rare. Like a Triumph GT6 or a Triumph Stag. You'd think I could find a Bug-Eye Sprite, but I haven't yet.

By the way, I currently own one car, a 13-year-old Chevy S-10 Xtreme. That's all. Not much of a stable, is it? Please excuse the snow.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: One to Eighteen   Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:39 pm

Yes, some of my previous cars (I haven't had that many) are too plebeian I suppose to be available. Seems like there'd be a market.

Maybe too much of one, if you consider all the colors.

I want one of these (looks just like my old car) but they seem to be out of stock.

Last edited by NoCoPilot on Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: One to Eighteen   Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:54 pm

I mean a person could go absolutely NUTS with these things.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
_Howard
Admin

PostSubject: Re: One to Eighteen   Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:21 pm

One of them looks very familiar.
I was about to say it had the wrong wheels, but it looks like a Ford GT instead of a GT-40. If it was a GT-40 it would be the wrong wheels. Ah, Gt40: still the prettiest car ever built.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: One to Eighteen   Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:41 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile
_Howard
Admin

PostSubject: Re: One to Eighteen   Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:59 pm

Whoa! Where did you find that? Got a bigger picture?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: One to Eighteen   Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:25 pm

Google is your friend.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
_Howard
Admin

PostSubject: Re: One to Eighteen   Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:43 pm

Google is no friend of mine. Google hates me. Stoopid Google. Can't even spell his own stupid name.

I think I found it, but it looks like it has the wrong read fenders.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: One to Eighteen   

Back to top Go down

One to Eighteen
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Topics :: Just For Fun-
Jump to: