HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Normalization with Cuba

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Normalization with Cuba   Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:36 pm

Long overdue, I say. My BIL visited Havana this summer and said the poverty was sickening. I've heard that from several sources.

It's obvious our embargo hasn't changed anything except their poverty rate. The Bay of Pigs is fifty years behind us now. Time to make amends.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
richard09

PostSubject: Re: Normalization with Cuba   Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:26 am

I saw a Cuban ex-pat on TV claiming that to relax the US stance in any way would help the Castro regime consolidate their power.

I wondered if he had noticed the last 50 years passing by.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Normalization with Cuba   Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:45 am

When Castro seized power from Batista, he nationalized a lot of the businesses, particularly foreign-owned businesses. Prior to the revolution Cuba was kind of the Monte Carlo of the West.

Desi Arnaz's autobiography talks about this. His father and grandfather had been powerful politicians and business owners prior to Castro, and lost everything in the revolution. People of his generation -- who mostly fled to Florida but have largely died off now -- were dead set against normalizing relations. I think they hoped things could go back to the way they were before the revolution, if they just starved Castro out of office.

It didn't work.
Wikipedia wrote:
Batista initially rose to power as part of the 1933 "Revolt of the Sergeants" that overthrew the authoritarian rule of Gerardo Machado. Batista then appointed himself chief of the armed forces, with the rank of colonel, and effectively controlled the five-member Presidency. He maintained this control through a string of puppet presidents until 1940, when he was himself elected President of Cuba on a populist platform.[2][3] He then instated the 1940 Constitution of Cuba, considered progressive for its time,[4] and served until 1944. After finishing his term he lived in the United States, returning to Cuba to run for president in 1952. Facing certain electoral defeat, he led a military coup that preempted the election.

Back in power, Batista suspended the 1940 Constitution and revoked most political liberties, including the right to strike. He then aligned with the wealthiest landowners who owned the largest sugar plantations, and presided over a stagnating economy that widened the gap between rich and poor Cubans.[5] Batista's increasingly corrupt and repressive government then began to systematically profit from the exploitation of Cuba's commercial interests, by negotiating lucrative relationships with the American mafia, who controlled the drug, gambling, and prostitution businesses in Havana, and with large multinational American corporations that had invested considerable amounts of money in Cuba.[5][6] To quell the growing discontent amongst the populace—which was subsequently displayed through frequent student riots and demonstrations—Batista established tighter censorship of the media, while also utilizing his anti-Communist secret police to carry out wide-scale violence, torture and public executions; ultimately killing anywhere from 1,000 to 20,000 people.[7][8] For several years until 1959, the Batista government received financial, military, and logistical support from the United States.[9]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jenni
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Normalization with Cuba   Thu Dec 25, 2014 10:50 am

NoCoPilot wrote:
Long overdue, ....  Time to make amends.
Yes! Way past time to be over this silliness.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://unintelligibledebate.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Normalization with Cuba   

Back to top Go down

Normalization with Cuba
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1