HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Did you walk to school?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Did you walk to school?   Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:40 pm

I read somewhere in one of these map books I'm reading I think that in 1960 the average child walked 1-1/2 miles to school.  Today if a child lives more that four blocks away they bus him or her.

That reminded me of something.  A few years ago I visited the neighborhood I grew up in, I still remembered all the streets intimately and could easily find my way to all my old haunts.

What struck me however was the distances involved.  My old house was probably four miles from the school.  It seemed like that much at the time but I thought my memory was probably inflating distances.

But it really WAS a one hour walk.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
richard09

PostSubject: Re: Did you walk to school?   Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:00 pm

I was lucky enough to live only 3-4 blocks from what you would call grade school, so i was walking to school from the age of 5 to 11. The first year or two, my mother would walk me, but I was taking myself soon enough. What you would call high school was a different story. It was about 3 miles away, and I caught the bus. Not a special bus, just a regular city bus into the town center, and walk the last half mile or so from there. That was all pretty typical for England in the sixties, I think. The American system with special yellow "school buses" just wasn't a thing, in England.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Did you walk to school?   Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:14 am

I did not walk to/from grade school every day, only if I missed the bus or stayed after school for sport. It was probably 3x week.

My junior high was in the same general area, but by then I was walking or biking 10 miles per day for adventure anyway.

My high school was about 8 miles in the other direction and I took public bus or walked. I often went into the U. District to go record shopping, so I was used to going across the city by myself.

I contrast this with my daughter. We live two blocks from her grade school and one to her junior high school, and about a mile to her high school. She very rarely walked.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jenni
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Did you walk to school?   Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:36 am

This is an area that busing has been in for decades because they were attempting to de-segregate. I rarely lived anywhere close to the school I went to.
When Levi went to elementary for a little while we lived around the corner so his dad and I would walk him back and forth. It was nice, a moment to catch up and be outside and just be. I wouldn't have wanted to be forced to do it in bad weather as easily as I get sick, but it was nice.

These days DHS discourages us parents from letting our kids walk too far. Anything happens and you get investigated for neglect. Anyone who's into that free-range kid movement better have a lawyer on stand-by.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://unintelligibledebate.forumotion.com
_Howard
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Did you walk to school?   Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:13 am

From first grade through high school, I went to fourteen different schools (four in the seventh grade alone). Only in the sixth grade did I ride a bus. When I was very young, my mother would give me a ride to school in the morning and I would walk home. Later, it was walking both ways, anywhere from a quarter mile to about three miles.

My daughter never rode a bus to school. Her first three years, she went to a private school, so no buses and we drove her. The next year she went to the public neighborhood school, which was about two miles away and we drove her both ways because a couple of the streets had nasty traffic with little control. The next three years we drove her because she went to a school for gifted children, which was about six miles away and offered no buses. For the remaining years, she went to public schools, which were about two miles away but did not provide buses for kids who lived that close to the schools. So we drove her back and forth to school until she got her own car for the last two years of high school.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Did you walk to school?   

Back to top Go down

Did you walk to school?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1