HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

It's Raining!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
_Howard
Admin

PostSubject: It's Raining!   Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:20 pm

Okay, not much, nothing they would notice in Seattle, but it's been sooooo long.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
_Howard
Admin

PostSubject: Re: It's Raining!   Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:43 am

Well we got almost an inch of rain last night. That's half of last year's total rainfall, which was less than two inches.

So far this year, we have gotten 5.5 inches, less than 1/3 the average yearly rainfall. Not good, but better than we've done for a while.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: It's Raining!   Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:31 am

Bravo, although it's too little too late to prevent water rationing next summer.

Up in the San Juans, I didn't get to clean the roof or the driveway because it never stopped raining. My septic inspection was postponed(!) because of rain. There are deer up on the island, they're almost tame because hunting has been outlawed for twenty years. It's still startling to come out the front door and have a 4-point buck standing twelve feet from you, totally unafraid, watching you with disinterest. One of the neighbors feeds them -- although this is officially discouraged, for obvious reasons -- and you can sometimes see a dozen or more deer congregated in his yard. On Wednesday I went into town for groceries and followed a doe down the main street. She didn't signal.

Brings to mind my Aunt Lucille and Uncle Spriggs. They had a cabin on Hood Canal in the 1960s, I used to love to see all the deer in their yard. One time a young male came up to me and tried to rub his antlers against me, they were molting or whatever they call it, new antlers with that mossy stuff all over them. That sucker was STRONG. Pushed me around until I ran away. Sadly, Lucille & Spriggs sold their cabin in the '70s and the new owner shot all those deer first time they visited.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lisa

PostSubject: Re: It's Raining!   Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:05 pm

Assholes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lisa

PostSubject: Re: It's Raining!   Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:06 pm

I love the sound of "Uncle Spriggs".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: It's Raining!   Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:11 pm

Lisa wrote:
I love the sound of "Uncle Spriggs".
He was a great old guy -- park ranger, naturalist, hiker, conservationist -- long before it was fashionable.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/kcarlberg/6355316419/
Back to top Go down
View user profile
_Howard
Admin

PostSubject: Re: It's Raining!   Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:35 pm

We have a lot of deer and other wild creatures out here where I live, just a few miles from town. When we bought the place I had plans for landscaping, but after watching the deer grazing in the yard and the bobcats hunting for gophers, I decided that I would rather watch the wildlife than a bunch of green grass.

It's common to see a dozen or more deer grazing the yard. And there's a spot under a tree where they like to lie in the summer, right next to the driveway.

I think I posted a picture once of a bobcat sunning itself on a rock about fifteen feet from the front door. That was very cool.

Very sad about the asshole killing all the deer at Lucille & Spriggs old cabin. Here, it used to be legal to hunt deer in the city limits with bow and arrow. These deer aren't as friendly as the ones NoCo described, but they aren't afraid of people, so hunting them is no challenge. Finally, when someone photographed and published a picture of a deer with an arrow through his jaw, the hunting was stopped.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: It's Raining!   Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:40 am

Man oh man oh man.  I wish I could send ya some!

We're having a downpour of BIBLICAL proportions, my high-flow gutters (cleaned Sunday) were overflowing so bad I feared for their life.  I got out my super-duty aluminum ladder (that lets me get 26' in the air) and cleaned six of my eight downspouts.  Damn pine trees.  

I've got 2" of standing water in my back yard.  The soil is only 18" deep, with a layer of clay underneath, and I guess it is saturated.  Hopefully my trees will drink it up in the next few hours so my basement doesn't flood.

On one of the downspouts the leaking gutter poured down my leg as I was on the ladder, into my wader boot, filling it with ice cold water in about 10 seconds.  That'll wake ya up!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
_Howard
Admin

PostSubject: Re: It's Raining!   Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:49 am

Boy, that sucks. I think I prefer too little rain than too much.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: It's Raining!   Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:04 pm

The Good Lord provides.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
_Howard
Admin

PostSubject: Re: It's Raining!   Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:41 pm

The good lord sucks the big one.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
_Howard
Admin

PostSubject: Re: It's Raining!   Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:55 pm

After getting around five inches of rain in December, we slipped through January with 4/100 of an inch. Hell, I can sweat that much on a hot day.

They are predicting that we may get about and inch and a half in the next few days. I have my doubts - it's now 81 degrees here (as it was yesterday), only 30 degrees above normal.

Stupid Al Gore and his stupid global warming. Why did he invent that? Wasn't he satisfied with the internet? Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: It's Raining!   Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:20 pm

Do not worry.  If you love Jesus he won't let anything bad happen to you.

Either that or End Times are coming.

I forget which.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: It's Raining!   Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:42 am

Seattle is in the midst of a Pineapple Express, the warm wet jet stream from the tropics bringing fifty degree weather and torrential rain. We are in our second week of it.

The mornings are dark and wet and traffic is horrendous.  

Thoughts of retirement dance in my head.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
_Howard
Admin

PostSubject: Re: It's Raining!   Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:18 pm

At this particular time, I envy you your rain (although a really hard, long-lasting rain at this time might bring the hillside down on me).

Normally, I despise rainy weather. Otherwise I probably would have moved to Portland years ago. Love the southeast area of the city. My daughter attended Reed College there (and, unlike Steve Jobs, she graduated. And with honors to boot.) The times we visited her up there, I fell in love with that area of the city. Except for the almost constant rain. It was very green, however.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jenni
Admin

PostSubject: Re: It's Raining!   Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:23 pm

I am sick to death of this cold and rain. 30's for days and rain. Ice coating the trees, I hate this shit. I wanna move to the Bahamas.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://unintelligibledebate.forumotion.com
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: It's Raining!   Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:35 pm

Send some to Howard. He'd probably even pay shipping.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
_Howard
Admin

PostSubject: Re: It's Raining!   Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:49 pm

My daughter would be happy about weather in the 30s right now. She's been living with single digits for quite a while.

And I would be please to pay the shipping on a few inches of rain (just not the freezing kind).

Back to top Go down
View user profile
_Howard
Admin

PostSubject: Re: It's Raining!   Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:10 pm

Well, not quite yet, but it's supposed to be any minute now.

The forecast is for rain thirteen of the next fifteen days. But they've been wrong before (nearly always).

They are predicting three inches of rain over the next few days. Since the first of July, we have had two inches, about one third of normal.

I have great concern for the areas that burned off last summer. Mud slides typically follow when the weather gets wet. I'm not too concerned about the hillside we are on, but I am keeping my fingers crossed.

The bad part is that millions of people in the state will see the rain, think the drought is over, and start wasting massive amounts of water.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: It's Raining!   Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:53 pm

Wind rain flooding and even a tornado warning in San Diego.

Our El Niño has slid south.  Hope you're enjoying it Howard.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
_Howard
Admin

PostSubject: Re: It's Raining!   Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:01 pm

Oh, yeah. I'm having a wonderful time.
Cold. Windy. Wet. What's not to like?
About one minute ago, hail started falling.

This morning was strange. A small storm blew through, moving quite fast. We got a half inch of rain in about twenty minutes, then it just quit. It's been raining on and off all day; got about an inch altogether and it's supposed to pick up again tonight.

With the rain this morning, we got lots of lightning and thunder. It was so close, that the thunder shook the house. I could feel the floors moving a bit - I would compare the feeling to that of about a 4.0 earthquake.

The hail has stopped.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: It's Raining!   Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:22 pm

Will it be enough though to impact your drought or is it all going to run off into the San Jacinto?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
_Howard
Admin

PostSubject: Re: It's Raining!   Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:24 pm

It won't affect the drought. It will take much more than a single year of rain to do that.
Even if we wind up with more than normal rain for the year (and that is still in doubt), it won't make up for the 11 trillion gallons missing from the water supply.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: It's Raining!   Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:28 pm

I did what I could.

Hey, are you going to watch the Seahawks game Sunday?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
_Howard
Admin

PostSubject: Re: It's Raining!   Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:29 pm

What are the Seahawks?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: It's Raining!   

Back to top Go down

It's Raining!