HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Clueless and Rude

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Clueless and Rude   Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:05 pm

Why is it so many women -- but never men -- are clueless and rude in hallways?

If I'm coming up to a door with both of my hands full, a man will always look back at me and hold the door. If a woman is ahead of me, 9 times out of 10 she sails through the door without a glance behind her and lets it shut in my face.

If I'm crossing a lobby, and my path intersects with a woman's path, she will ALWAYS forge on ahead expecting me to slow down or stop to let her pass. A man will negotiate this with quick eye contact.

If I'm walking down a hall and a group of men is coming the other way, one or more of them will step aside to make room. A group of women? Fuggedaboutit.

I figure, women are liberated, they should stop expecting preferential treatment. They should start acting more like men, and follow basic rules of courtesy. Yet it's a rare woman who does.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jenni
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Clueless and Rude   Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:14 am

Maybe it's perception. Like when you get a certain car you notice all the other ones of that car all of a sudden.
I see it just the opposite. It seems like men always want to get in my space. But then when I go to say that I think well, but it was a women who was all bitchy about me backing out at Orek yesterday.

Or maybe you just have different women up there.

I usually hold the door for whomever is behind me and it's only the men who look offended or annoyed. I see both sexes blocking doorways. Which I hate. My family taught me not to stand in a doorway! Anyway.... I only see men spit tobacco in public, which is arguable rude as hell. Men in trucks are especially rude drivers. (On that the other half of my brain reminds me that there is a disproportionately large number of men in trucks here.) Both sexes text and drive which is obnoxious.

Men do not know how to work a grocery store. You all should be banned from them. omg Or at least not allowed in the self check out areas.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://unintelligibledebate.forumotion.com
Jenni
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Clueless and Rude   Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:59 am

NoCoPilot wrote:
I figure, women are liberated, they should stop expecting preferential treatment.  They should start acting more like men, and follow basic rules of courtesy.  Yet it's a rare woman who does.
This actually occurred to me and bugged while I was out running errands yesterday. We don't get preferential treatment and we aren't liberated. We make less than men, have less control over our reproductive systems and certainly got the vote much later. I can't even begin to get my head around what this so called preferential treatment is, unless that's the "special" term men use to describe how they disenfranchise us and treat us like children incapable of deciding such basic things as do we want to have children. Is "preferential treatment" when I can't walk my dog because the creepy guy in the van is out there again and the way he paces me trying to talk to me (even with my kid there) freaks me out? I love how men make women basically no more a citizen than a dog in the street and then call it "preferential treatment". All that chivalry crap- yeah - ya'll thought that up, not us. It's a marker of patriarchy and feel free to stop the stupid shit anytime. It's always been to serve you men not us. I can open my own damn door just give me rights.

Courtesy is just that. Courtesy. It's not something I am required to give anyone. It's also very subjective. I find people who stop in the street "allowing" me to cross very annoying and not the least bit courteous, yet, I'm sure to them they think they are being kind (because they don't think very far, but still.) Yet our lack of liberation is a fact and it's a right we are owed not a courtesy men can chose to bestow or not. My only expectations are that I am allowed the same freedoms you are and so far those expectations have not been met.

PS, if this is your major qualm with the opposite sex, count yourself very lucky.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Clueless and Rude   Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:35 am

You're right about the income gap. You're right about the patriarchal attitude toward abortion. You're right about chivalry being condescending.

However I still think many women -- maybe only in Seattle? -- are clueless and rude. I see so many instances where they are totally ignorant of their surroundings, not only in hallways but on the roads too.

Not all of them. Just a much higher percentage than men.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
_Howard
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Clueless and Rude   Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:44 pm

NoCo is right: women have changed.

40+ years ago, young women called me a fox and made generous offerings.
They no longer do that.

The only explanation I can think of is that women have changed. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jenni
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Clueless and Rude   Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:23 pm

NoCoPilot wrote:
You're right about the income gap.    You're right about the patriarchal attitude toward abortion.  You're right about chivalry being condescending.

However I still think many women -- maybe only in Seattle? -- are clueless and rude. I see so many instances where they are totally ignorant of their surroundings, not only in hallways but on the roads too.  

Not all of them.  Just a much higher percentage than men.
What I see is that people are clueless and rude. I have men all day act like they own the space we are in whether it's the road or the line at the bank. And then I see that woman who's an absolute bitch to the cashier at the grocery store that reminds me my perception is not reality, necessarily.
So I'm afraid I need to see some stats to convince me that women are more rude than men, especially considering that we tolerate ya'lls taking of our rights without violent backlash- that actually seems pretty nice and reasonable and adult, to me. I would submit to you that if men were treated the way women are there would be violence in the streets, riots over the right to choose whether or not you wanted to have children and demonstrations at the police station about all the men's rape kits that sit on the shelves. I actually think we do pretty good. I mean, when was the last time a woman asked you to smile as you were passing by, or touched your beer belly without permission and asked when your baby elephant was due. See, we're way more polite and cordial than men are!
Back to top Go down
Jenni
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Clueless and Rude   Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:25 pm

_Howard wrote:
NoCo is right: women have changed.

40+ years ago, young women called me a fox and made generous offerings.
They no longer do that.
Now that is a serious miscarriage of justice, there, man.
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Clueless and Rude   Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:26 pm

I heartily agree with both of Jenni's last posts.

Last edited by _Howard on Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lisa

PostSubject: Re: Clueless and Rude   Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:25 pm

Quote :
Why is it so many women -- but never men- are clueless and rude in hallways?

I'm sorry kid, and this is something that could probably wait, but I'm impetuous.

After your first sentence, I was hooked.  'Never men', is a pretty narrow view.                                                              

I didn't respond a few days ago, but I just got back from the store where I scrunched against a display (in a probably unseemly manner) because three men abreast (filling the aisle) were approaching.  I got nailed with an elbow anyway.  After glancing down without saying a word, he did a double-take because he thought I was pretty.  (You can tell)
THEN he said "Oh, sorry".  This was like 45 minutes ago.  Talk about not thinking about others.  How could they not know they filled the aisle.  This happens all the time... but only with men, I must say.  

Either you have a much lower standard for how males should behave, (my daughter and I had many run-ins with elementary school teachers who have felt the same way), or you're waiting like a spider for that woman, any woman, to make her wrong move... because after all, you can't help but find what you're looking for.

Or maybe more women where you live really are that way.  Because they're tired of the rude and clueless men and women everywhere.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Clueless and Rude   Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:44 pm

Undoubtedly both genders exhibit rude behaviors on occasion.  I was just ticked off that day -- part of a growing attitude cancer I have since excised -- and women seemed to me to be the sole offenders that day.  It happened to me like six or seven times that day -- always women.

I'm willing to admit that's unrealistic.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lisa

PostSubject: Re: Clueless and Rude   Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:07 am

That's because you're one of the good guys.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Clueless and Rude   Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:46 pm

Maybe. I'm not absolutely sure of that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
_Howard
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Clueless and Rude   Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:49 pm

Would you agree with "one of the better guys"? I think even I would give you that, Apple Fanboy or not.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Clueless and Rude   Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:22 pm

I've been pretty surly lately.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Clueless and Rude   

Back to top Go down

Clueless and Rude
View previous topic View next topic Back to top